Smelly kitten Poop

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Just curious, have you tried a canned-only diet with the kitten? One that is single protein,grain-free and carrageenan-free?

I ask only because we have taken in several cats over the last year or two that are completely dry food intolerant. Some require limited ingredient diets, and others can pretty much eat any grain-free, carrageenan-free canned food.

Also, depending on the resue/shelter you adopted her from, they may not have know she had an issue, or didn't feel a need to share. I work for a rescue myself and I am always baffled when another rescue/shelter chooses to send cats with known problems without relaying the info to new owners.

As far a GI issue that isn't parasite/protozoan related...
You could have her checked for IBD or a malabsorption disorder (the latter typically produces a greasier stool). Has the vet ever tried her on a steroid?

1dog4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[/SIZE
]Purrly is on ID per the Vet.
Before that she was on Nutro Natural Choice soft loaf for kittens - grain free no fillers. All my cats are on canned food.
I,m going to transition Purrly to S&C freeze dried. I don't like ID as, IMP, the ingredients are subpar.
Her stool is very soft like soft serve ice cream (yech).
If S&C doesn't help, I plan on pursuing possible GI PROBLEMS.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm...both the Natural Choice kitten and the id contain chicken. Wonder if that could be the problem? Maybe try the S&C Turkey or Duck with her?

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two female cats that eat the same food everyday. one has smelly poop and the other doesn't, don't know why. Good luck figuring it out the smelly ones been to the vet and had 2 different fecal floats.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
@Kitty Kisser, it is possible for 1 sibling to have a food intolerance and the other not. So, might be something for you to look into.

My Max is allergic to Beef and Rabbit, while none of his siblings seems to have any issues with proteins.

We had a litter of kittens with known GI issues that seemed to clear up on a prescription novel protein canned food...except their poop smelled more than typical. We were hesitant to change anything since we FINALLY got their diarrhea under control. Well, during an unsuspected ice storm, we ran out of their food and I very hesitantly offered them another single protein canned food. After just 2 feedings, the stinky smell was no more. The only difference was that this new food didn't contain carrageena...go figure!

Figuring out the culprit can certainly be taxing; but, I think so worth it in the end!