Smelly kitten Poop

hellopierrot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, it's my first post here :)

We have two calico sister kittens (7 months old). they have extremely smelly poop :( We got them when they were 5 months old and they had really smelly poop already. They were previously on royal canin kitten + chicken and tuna wet canned food. I have since switched them to this for more than a month already:

wet: one small canned Fussie cat grain free chicken

dry: a mix of evo turkey + taste of the wild rocky mountain

Their poop is still as stinky as when we first got them. And they are REALLY stinky. we live in an apartment so the smell travels everywhere. I'm currently helping to cat sit my friend's 3 12-yr old cats at her place. I drop by once a day and even with 3 cats, their poop doesn't even smell half as bad as my cats'. whenever my cats poop i have to scoop right away cus it's SO STINKY.

Anyways, I've really run out of ideas as to why their poop is so stinky :( even good brands of food make their poop stink. Any ideas how I can help?

chevs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do your friend's cats eat? Maybe try that.

Also, you can try switching proteins. Try switching the canned chicken to something like duck or rabbit.

You can also try eliminating the kibble completely. When my cats were on kibble, the smell of their poop would drive us out of the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hellopierrot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What do your friend's cats eat? Maybe try that.

Also, you can try switching proteins. Try switching the canned chicken to something like duck or rabbit.

You can also try eliminating the kibble completely. When my cats were on kibble, the smell of their poop would drive us out of the house.
My friend's cats are actually eating tuna canned wet food, and sanabelle kibble. I just don't understand why even after switching them to a grain free chicken wet food + good quality kibble, their **** smells exactly the same. my husband and i work in the day and can't be around to feed them wet food again, hence we're supplementing with kibble.

I'll probably try the addiction rabbit/venison cans and see how it goes

gustav

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

It also happened to my kitten so I took her the vet and prescribed a medicine called metronidazole. It is due to the change in brands. He advised me to change to dry food as it has less water.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed watered down grain free canned and freeze dried treats (no dry kibble) and never smell their poop and I have 2 cats, one of which is male, and the boys smell more.

chevs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

It also happened to my kitten so I took her the vet and prescribed a medicine called metronidazole. It is due to the change in brands. He advised me to change to dry food as it has less water.
How is less water supposed to be a GOOD thing?

gustav

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine has diahrea, so better to feed her dry food. My advice is to give him some metronidazole and on the safe side check with your vet about the proper dosage

Good Luck

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
@Gustav, I have to disagree with your thoughts. When a cat, especially a kitten, has diarrhea, best to increase fluids so that the cat doesn't get dehydrated from the diarrhea. So, feeding canned food with some added water is often an easy way to increase water intake. This sure beats having to take the cat in for subQ fluids (though this cannot always be avoided.)

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
hellopierrot, I also agree with trying a canned only diet. And, yes, going with a new protein source isn't a bad idea either. We have about 10 cats in our rescue that simply do not tolerate dry food, regardless of brand/quality (we feed NVI dry, but have explored other options for these guys.) When we've put them on a canned only diet, the diarrhea or fowl smelling stool has cleared up in a matter of days. We usually start off with Nature's Variety limited ingredient turkey canned, then progress from there.

Good luck with your girls!

chevs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine has diahrea, so better to feed her dry food. My advice is to give him some metronidazole and on the safe side check with your vet about the proper dosage

Good Luck
If you had diarrhea and your doctor said "stop drinking water", what would you do? Me? I'd find a new doctor

Last edited:

chevs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend's cats are actually eating tuna canned wet food, and sanabelle kibble. I just don't understand why even after switching them to a grain free chicken wet food + good quality kibble, their **** smells exactly the same. my husband and i work in the day and can't be around to feed them wet food again, hence we're supplementing with kibble.

I'll probably try the addiction rabbit/venison cans and see how it goes
How many times a day do you feed them? At 7 months they can go to 2 feedings a day. Are you guys able to do that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hellopierrot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed watered down grain free canned and freeze dried treats (no dry kibble) and never smell their poop and I have 2 cats, one of which is male, and the boys smell more.
hellopierrot, I also agree with trying a canned only diet. And, yes, going with a new protein source isn't a bad idea either. We have about 10 cats in our rescue that simply do not tolerate dry food, regardless of brand/quality (we feed NVI dry, but have explored other options for these guys.) When we've put them on a canned only diet, the diarrhea or fowl smelling stool has cleared up in a matter of days. We usually start off with Nature's Variety limited ingredient turkey canned, then progress from there.

Good luck with your girls!
How many times a day do you feed them? At 7 months they can go to 2 feedings a day. Are you guys able to do that?
thanks all, i've actually tried only canned food for a while but it's still the same. we sometimes get home really late hence we use dry food so they won't go hungry. has anyone tried a probiotic for their cats? has it worked?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I've used probiotics with mixed results, though a good probiotic is never a bad thing, IMO.

What canned food(s) did you try? Did it have any gums or carrageenan/agar-agar?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Meant to add that I have used Culturelle, Fortiflora and Proviable as far as Probiotics go.

I know there are several members here that use Nexabiotic.

1dog4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten has very soft stool and very stinky poop. My cat has been tested for, worms and parasites and corona virus. All negative. I clearly remember that one of the parasites causes stinky poop. IMO it's not the food!

chevs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten has very soft stool and very stinky poop. My cat has been tested for, worms and parasites and corona virus. All negative. I clearly remember that one of the parasites causes stinky poop. IMO it's not the food!
Well, definitely it's not always the food's fault. But in the case of your kitten, since she's tested negative, what is your theory on what's causing her stinky poop?

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So what is exactly wrong with stinky poop ?  I mean it's poop , it's not supposed to smell  " good " anyway ..   

Last edited:

chevs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So what is exactly wrong with stinky poop ?  I mean it's poop , it's not supposed to smell  " good " anyway ..   :D
OK, yes granted poop isn't meant to smell like flowers. But when I first got my cats, they were on dry food that resulted in horrible gas and eye-watering, soft poos. We live in a huge, over 2500 sqft house and I would get home from work, walk in the front door, and get hit in the face with the smell. They also pooped like twice a day. Then I switched to canned, and the smell improved vastly. Frequency also went down. Then we switched to raw. Now, their litter box NEVER smells, even if I'm in there while they're pooping, no smell. Also they each poop once every couple days. Nice firm tootsie rolls. No medication or de-wormer was ever given. It was the food.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, yes granted poop isn't meant to smell like flowers. But when I first got my cats, they were on dry food that resulted in horrible gas and eye-watering, soft poos. We live in a huge, over 2500 sqft house and I would get home from work, walk in the front door, and get hit in the face with the smell. They also pooped like twice a day. Then I switched to canned, and the smell improved vastly. Frequency also went down. Then we switched to raw. Now, their litter box NEVER smells, even if I'm in there while they're pooping, no smell. Also they each poop once every couple days. Nice firm tootsie rolls. No medication or de-wormer was ever given. It was the food.
Ok , that makes sense I guess .   My cats poop just smell like poop  , I would be concerned too if there was a drastic change .

1dog4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I I think it might be a GI problem. I wasn't told by the adoption group that she came to me with this problem. She's been on a variety of foods with no success -all good quality.