Smelliest Or Juciest Novel Protein / Hydrolyzed Protein Wet Foods?

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am looking for any recommenations you might have for wet foods that are either novel protein or hydrolyzed protein for my cat. She seems to really only like very juicey or really smelly wet foods as I am trying to get her to eat more wet and less dry. I thought if its really smelly, she might be more enticed to eat it.

Some of the novel protein cans I've opened are really sort of dry and gummy and thick, almost like peanut butter and she did not like that. Anyone have recommendations? Thanks!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am looking for any recommenations you might have for wet foods that are either novel protein or hydrolyzed protein for my cat. She seems to really only like very juicey or really smelly wet foods as I am trying to get her to eat more wet and less dry. I thought if its really smelly, she might be more enticed to eat it.

Some of the novel protein cans I've opened are really sort of dry and gummy and thick, almost like peanut butter and she did not like that. Anyone have recommendations? Thanks!
It only has to be novel to her.

The problem I have with most novel protein foods is that they focus on game meats. A lot of cats, including my Krista, just aren't fond of red meat.

Have you tried duck? Unless you were feeding her duck regularly, that should be novel enough. A lot of cats really go for it. Krista loves Rawz Duck with Duck Liver. I'm also willing to drive a couple of hours to get her some raw boneless duck to try my hand at a raw medicine portion (antibiotics for her ear) she might actually eat.

Rabbit is another kitty favorite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks!!

The things she's had before are mostly chicken, tuna, mackerel, oceanfish so those are all off the table. She used to love the BFF cans which mostly all have tuna. Less often she had pork and possibly turkey.

I'm not sure what she ate before she came to me at age 11/12. I suspect mostly dry food and whatever she hunted outside. I know she'd hunted mice, birds, lizards and rabbits successfully.

So I think novel for her would be duck, rabbit, venison, lamb, boar, quail, kanaroo, alligator, etc. but I'm holding off on the extra odd ones in case we need them later. Those are all things I never fed her. I'm not really sure about beef. She'd sometimes eat human beef or pork cooked up as a little treat in the past. She used to LOVE chicken that way, but more recently not so much.

We've tried duck (multiple brands) and it doesn't seem to be a hit. I'll keep trying or try another brand and see how it goes, though. She didn't seem to love the rabbit or lamb I've offered so far, either. I wish I could just feed her mice...!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Red barn naturals tend to be a softer loaf and they also have stews. They were hits with my cats who also like juicy stuff.

Another one they really liked when we were restricted was Evanger's Quail. Also pretty moist comparatively.

You could also mix in some unsalted beef broth or similar to make it more moist.

Another thing you could try is using freeze dried foods crumbled on top. That is a huge hit with my picky, soft and soupy loving girl!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There can be a huge difference between one brand’s duck and another’s or one brand’s rabbit and another for that matter. Cats are also neophobes—they don’t like new things. If she wasn’t impressed the first time, keep offering it alongside a food she does like. Sometimes they come around to it. You did open the can already so you may as well try for a few meals rather than dump it because she didn’t immediately go for it.

Also, not every protein she’s ever eaten gets crossed off the list. It is most likely to be whatever she has been eating the most especially since this all began. Whatever food she was eating habitually when her gut was leaking, that’s mostly likely to cause a reaction now. For Krista, this was chicken and salmon. I know she’s had other proteins including some I still feed her now like tuna. But when the dam broke, it was chicken and salmon that leaked into her bloodstream, that the immune system will recognize and react to now. But this is why it’s also important to heal her gut and why novel proteins may not be the answer. Start her on bone broth as soon as you can.