Smda Blood Test Results

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our dear Marlow Cat just had a blood test where the SDMA result was 16 ug/dL which is high. How worried should we be?

ps.....His CREA was 151 (normal) and UREA 9.8 which is normal. We are changing his diet to a wet food designed to treat kidney disease and trying to have him drink as much as possible. Marlow will be retested in a month.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was he dehydrated or recently not eating? My Krista just tested 16 while her crea was in range but BUN was high along with several other markers of dehydration (electrolytes out of range.) In her case, she had thrown up and hadn’t eaten in several days. Vet said retest in a month. I looked up SDMA and it can give a false positive with dehydration. Retesting in a month is a good course of action.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should also mention that her SDMA has been up and down the last year with her IBD, pancreatitis, and dental issues. It has gone out of range before only to go back into range when the vomiting or dehydration episode had passed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was he dehydrated or recently not eating? My Krista just tested 16 while her crea was in range but BUN was high along with several other markers of dehydration (electrolytes out of range.) In her case, she had thrown up and hadn’t eaten in several days. Vet said retest in a month. I looked up SDMA and it can give a false positive with dehydration. Retesting in a month is a good course of action.
Thanks so much for your reply. Marlow may have been a bit dehydrated as he had just passed a hairball. He was and is eating and drinking fine. He has also lost his voice.

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should also mention that her SDMA has been up and down the last year with her IBD, pancreatitis, and dental issues. It has gone out of range before only to go back into range when the vomiting or dehydration episode had passed.
I'm sorry to hear about your cat's health challenges. Marlow's other health issue is an enlarged left ventricle which we are giving him vetmedin and benzoprine.

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great news. Marlow had SMDA test again 3 weeks later. His level is normal!!! Maybe he was dehydrated or ate something that effected his kidneys. We changed his diet to Purina essential care seniors. We are giving Marlow 80% wet to dry food. It's the first food he actually likes. After 3 weeks of sickness Marlow is happy and well! Thanks for your support and for this forum.