Smallbatch / Primal Blends Texture

mangojuusu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have 2 kittens, 4-5 months, who are picky when it comes to texture. They like to chew on things, and if they can't chew it they either don't eat it or lick it very reluctantly.

Before I got them I knew they'd be eating raw, and so far they've been eating primal freeze-dried (which they don't like) and Stella and Chewy's freeze-dried (which they like, because the morsels are chewable). I've also tried Tucker's frozen raw (which they hated) and Kiwi kitchens frozen raw, which they seem to tolerate, because it has organs/bone/gristle that has texture.

So my question is, are the smallbatch/primal blends, um, crunchy? :barfgreen: Or are they like a smooth pate-style? Cause I really don't wanna cut up 10+lbs of chicken thighs every month unless I have to.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Small Batch Blends aren't complete diets. smallbatch blends — Smallbatch

The regular frozen Small Batch are complete diets and the texture is kind of smooth even with the finely ground up bones.

Hare-Today.com sells cubed raw meat as well as bones and organs. A butcher shop may be willing to cube up meat for for purchase, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mangojuusu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Small Batch Blends aren't complete diets. smallbatch blends — Smallbatch

The regular frozen Small Batch are complete diets and the texture is kind of smooth even with the finely ground up bones.

Hare-Today.com sells cubed raw meat as well as bones and organs. A butcher shop may be willing to cube up meat for for purchase, too.
I understand they aren't complete, but they are 80/10/10 meat/bone/organ, correct? I'd planned on buying alnutrin for meat and bone mixes if I use the grinds. But I don't want to get that version of alnutrin just for the kitties to turn their noses up at the grind itself. Thus the texture question.

I'm on the west coast and even if the haretoday had affordable... well, anything, the shipping would have to be by air, and that's way out of my price range. Especially since I don't have a big freezer to store 50lbs of meat.

Can you ask a butcher to cut up that much meat? I feel like they're get kinda mad, chopping an order into such small pieces...

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I emailed Small Batch about the meat/bone/organ ratio last year, and they responded that the blends are 80/10/10. I thought they felt pretty bone-y, though. My older cats were having constipation issues so I stopped buying the blends.

I grind my own meat but cut a few of the pieces into small chunks so the girls have something to work their teeth on. So it’s a mix of medium grind and small chunks to which I add EZ Complete premix.

To your question about consistency, the Small Batch blends aren't chunky. They’re more of a medium grind.

If you’re interested in rabbit, here’s a supplier on the West Coast: WholeFoods4Pets. They have flat-rate shipping using FedEx ground.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mangojuusu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I emailed Small Batch about the meat/bone/organ ratio last year, and they responded that the blends are 80/10/10. I thought they felt pretty bone-y, though. My older cats were having constipation issues so I stopped buying the blends.

I grind my own meat but cut a few of the pieces into small chunks so the girls have something to work their teeth on. So it’s a mix of medium grind and small chunks to which I add EZ Complete premix.

To your question about consistency, the Small Batch blends aren't chunky. They’re more of a medium grind.

If you’re interested in rabbit, here’s a supplier on the West Coast: WholeFoods4Pets. They have flat-rate shipping using FedEx ground.
Thank you for the info!