Small Cat Ate Almost 2 Whole Cooked Chicken Thigh Bones This Past Hour. What Should I Do?

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there something I can try to feed her that might cushion her insides from their sharp edges? . . . cooked oatmeal with a little egg in it?

I don't know how much she'd eat, as I had already fed her her condensed -low fiber- cat food right before she did this. . . .

(My old non-digital scale indicates she is 10 lbs. She's heavier than she looks!)

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
PLEASE DO NOT FEED COOKED chicken bones to you kitty!

Bones that are cooked becomes brittle and once broken during the bite will be very sharp and it can cause internal damage and cause death due to internal bleeding.

If you want to feed your kitty chicken meat with bone, feed her the wing tip or mid wing section without cooking (RAW).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PLEASE DO NOT FEED COOKED chicken bones to you kitty!
Thank you for the info, but, I already know not to feed cooked bones. I thought I had already thrown them in the outside trash can before I allowed her inside . . . but I knew I hadn't when I noticed her eating one of three on the floor. Only one other one was found, so I suspect she ate two, minus the end of one.

I posted to find out if there's something I can do to cushion her insides from the sharp edges of the cooked bones. I'm not sure you bothered to read my entire post, by the way you responded. If you know of something better to give her than cooked oatmeal, please say what it is! Thank You.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lecture about bones probably didn't assist in what they were asking. This does not sound like OP feeds cooked bones, but that the cat managed to get to them after the OP was getting them their regular food.

More useful information would be saying to err to the side of caution and get in touch with a vet or possibly even use ASPCA's $65 Poison Control line if not going to the emergency vet. They would like to know if there is a way to assist this oops without involving at professional.

Nothing is going to be able to buffer the insides against perforation. You're likely going to need to light a candle, pray, sacrifice a chicken, etc, or go get an xray taken.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm not sure you bothered to read my entire post, by the way you responded.
Yes, I did read your entire post. From what you mentioned earlier before you edited your post, you were not sure whether the bones were there or not and after your editing, it changed the whole posting and the above poster lalagimp lalagimp may not have read it and thought that I lectured you about cooked bones.

Good to know that you know not to feed cooked bones.

I just hope that your kitty will be alright.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ My cats sometimes steal bread and pasta from MY dinner plate ! Maybe your kitty will take some rolled up bread from you ?
One of my cats once inhaled an entire chicken leg bone. Passed right through him.
Watch your kitty carefully for the next few days. Look for any bloody stool. Good luck ... :wave2:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More useful information would be saying to err to the side of caution and get in touch with a vet or possibly even use ASPCA's $65 Poison Control line if not going to the emergency vet. They would like to know if there is a way to assist this oops without involving at professional.
Or, if you're in North America you can call 1-785-532-5679, a free 24-hour poison hotline run by Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, What Is the Free Number for Poison Control for Animals?. However, they'll probably just tell you the same thing we will - it's vet time, now!!! Even if it means springing for an emergency vet because of the hour.

Margret

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
. . . . . . . . .
Nothing is going to be able to buffer the insides against perforation. You're likely going to need to light a candle, pray, sacrifice a chicken, etc, or go get an xray taken.
Thank You for EVERYTHING that you said!

We went in & got an Xray. She had chewed the bones up very small, so vet said they are likely to pass easy enough, & recommended giving her some oatmeal to help push it through. (When I asked about adding plain Pumpkin, she said I could try mixing the two together, 1 TBSP total amount, but Pearl wasn't interested in the pumpkin mix. She did, however, readily eat a TBSP of cooked oatmeal! (:

Last edited:

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet, but I know with dogs you can give them bread.
I know of 2 large dog breed pups who got into some carpentry staples left out by workers at their owner's house. They both ate several! One of them was able to eat lots of bread to help them on through -but- the other one had to have intestinal surgery!

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great to hear that your cat is ok! :)
TY! She's still 'not out of the woods', tho. I need to keep an eye on her to make sure nothing goes wrong in the elimination department . . . But, nothing is *expected* to go wrong! (:

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
". . . If you want to feed your kitty chicken meat with bone, feed her the wing tip or mid wing section without cooking (RAW).
Right! Definitely RAW!

Why do you recommend "the wing tip or mid wing section' . . . as opposed to other parts?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went in & got an Xray. She had chewed the bones up very small, so vet said they are likely to pass easy enough, & recommended giving her some oatmeal to help push it through. (When I asked about adding plain Pumpkin, she said I could try mixing the two together, 1 TBSP total amount, but Pearl wasn't interested in the pumpkin mix. She did, however, readily eat a TBSP of cooked oatmeal! (:
What a relief!

I wouldn't worry about the fact that she didn't want the pumpkin/oatmeal mix. Some cats don't like pumpkin very much (can't blame them - neither do I). However, in a pinch (i.e. diarrhea or constipation) you can still frequently get it into them by mixing it with their regular food. Oatmeal wouldn't do much to disguise the taste.

Please keep us informed; we tend to worry.

Margret

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
TY! She's still 'not out of the woods', tho. I need to keep an eye on her to make sure nothing goes wrong in the elimination department . . . But, nothing is *expected* to go wrong! (:
Yes, just keep an eye on her as she goes through her normal daily routines.

Right! Definitely RAW!

Why do you recommend "the wing tip or mid wing section' . . . as opposed to other parts?
The wing tips and mid section bones are more hollow and not as hard as compared to the other bones in the chicken body except maybe for the ribs. Think it's safer for them too.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kommunity kats kommunity kats , just checking in to see how's your kitty doing.
Pearl's doing fine! She wouldn't eat very much more oatmeal, tho. The bone shards really never seemed to bother her. She's got all the energy & sass of her typical 2 year old self . . . Never lost it, in fact!