Slow weight loss

KJIA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

My cat Juliette is almost 18 years old. In the last year, she has started to have some health issues crop up - including diagnosis with hyperthyroidism (March 2023) and early stages of kidney disease (Sept 2023). We've addressed the hyperthyroidism with medication, and her thyroid bloodwork is now normal. We are trying to switch to a prescription renal diet, but it definitely isn't her favorite food. One food she is in love with is the Weruva WX Phos-Focused. This food is low phosphorus for kidney disease, although it is high in protein which I've read conflicting opinions regarding kidney disease. I've been mixing the Weruva 50:50 with the prescription renal diet. She also did have an oral mass that we discovered Oct 2023. She did have surgery to remove it (it was thankfully benign!) and at that time they cleaned/checked all her teeth as well.

My issue is that although we've addressed the diseases as best we can, she continues to slowly lose weight. When she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, she was down about 1 pound of body weight. Since then, she has lost about another 1.5 pounds in the last year, which is a significant amount for a little kitty. She seems to be eating okay - her dental surgery healed up very well. She had stopped eating any dry food prior to dental surgery because it was painful, but since then she has returned to munching on it here and there. She usually does pretty good eating her wet food breakfast, wet food dinner is hit or miss, and then she'll munch a little dry food overnight. Thus far we've tried the Hills Science Diet, Royal Canin, Blue Buffalo, and Purina prescription renal diets. The Purina is the front-runner for now, but only if I mix it with the Weruva WX. I've tried to slowly adjust the ratio of Purina to Weruva, but it seems once I went over 50% Purina she was much less interested.

I have a follow up appointment with our vet in one week to check her bloodwork, but would anyone have any experience with similar slow weight loss? I'd love some discussion ideas I can propose to our vet. I'm planning on asking if I can switch her to the Weruva WX food full time, despite it being high protein, to see if she would eat more and gain weight, but would welcome other thoughts as well.

On a side note, I recently bought the Petivity litter box monitor. It is a small platform that you place under the litterbox. It measures her weight each time she enters the litter box, and tracks how many times she has gone No. 1 or No. 2. It is even smart enough to know when I scoop the box or add fresh litter. I only have one cat, but it supposedly can also distinguish between cats if you have more than one. I know it's fairly new to the market, so just thought I would say that it's been helpful for me in monitoring her health and it seems to be fairly accurate. Happy to answer any questions on it if anyone is curious!

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't believe in lowering the protein level in a CKD cat. They are typically older cats who are already prone to losing muscle mass just due to the aging process. So, I would give Juliette the Weruva and not the Purina, period. Some substantiation of that is in the links provided above. That whole web site is a wonder on so many topics dealing with CKD.

Some CKD cats can also have low B-12 levels, also intimated above, which means they are not absorbing nutrients adequately - and can benefit from injections (much more effective than oral B-12s). You can have your cat checked for her cobalamin level to see if it is low. B-12 injections can be given at home - I do it for my cat.

How does her caloric intake look with what you are feeding her? Just curious if maybe she just isn't getting enough calories.

I know nothing about your litter box/weight system, but if you trust it to weigh her appropriately that is all that counts.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

KJIA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I realize that many suggest to continue feeding normal protein. However, even Tanya's CKD website suggests that be around 35% and believes the Weruva WX to be a little too high at 60%. To be sure though, there isn't a magic number and it will be different for each cat.

I also agree that calories may be a factor. I am providing the food, she just isn't always finishing it. Funny enough, all these prescription foods advertise how they are "calorie dense" to help CKD cats that may suffer from inappetance, yet all are actually less calorie dense when I compare to the non-prescription foods she used to eat. So even if she ate her normal "volume" she would be getting less calories, and now that she sometimes doesn't finish her food she would be in even more of a deficit.

I'll be sure to ask about the B vitamins as well!

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Look into Evangers and Dave's, I think they have low phos varieties, but I don't know the protein. Also Weruva has other varieties, that are as low in iodine as the AAFCO allows especially when compared to other brands iodine content.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi K KJIA and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Yes, I realize that many suggest to continue feeding normal protein. However, even Tanya's CKD website suggests that be around 35% and believes the Weruva WX to be a little too high at 60%.....
All values on 'Tanya's' site are expressed "on a dry matter basis"

I suspect that the Weruva % you quoted is that of an "guaranteed analysis" or "as fed" figure.

Here's 'Tanya's' page that explains The Different Ways of Assessing Food Content .

Don't let that melt your brain :lol:! On that page, there's a section "Calculating Dry Matter Yourself" with links to online calculators....that's right here. Just SKIM-READ through there so you get a sense of the differences among the various ways of assessing contents.

After, you can 'cut to the chase' with calculating protein content: Dry Matter Basis Calculator

Hope that helps!

KJIA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep! I've read about the dry matter basis and run the calculation myself. It matches what is shown on Tanya's page - the Weruva Wx is about 60% protein DMB. Pretty impressive. Thanks for the insights though!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you post a link to the exact variety/"flavour" that you're talking about?

Just now I Googled for it and randomly chose this one to look at. It's protein and fat levels are unremarkable. I don't want to scan their website, though.

Yes, 60% is a head-turner!

KJIA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am looking at the Weruva Wx Chicken Puree. As fed it is 81.7% moisture and 11.27% protein. To calculate the dry matter basis, 100 - 81.7 = 18.3 dry. Then the protein calculation would be 11.27 / 18.3 = 61% protein. You can download the full nutritional info for all the Wx formulas. They all range from 58-69% protein on a dry matter basis.

Not to bogged down in the numbers too much, but I picked out a couple cans of non-prescription tonight to give a try. They aren't as low in phosphorus as the prescription food, but definitely less than half the phosphorus in the original Wellness Complete she ate for years. Hopefully one will take her fancy and we can get her calories up.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to get bogged down either!

That said, here's what the product I found states:

Chicken Dinner in a Hydrating Purée
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 8 %
Crude Fat (min) 2.0%
Crude Fiber (max)1.0%
Moisture (max) 87%
Press Your Lunch! (link)

So, where you're seeing a protein content in the 60's% is escaping me....which is why I asked for the link.

Meantime, those puree versions seem to me to have a lower protein and fat content than average.

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
her dental surgery healed up very well. She had stopped eating any dry food prior to dental surgery because it was painful, but since then she has returned to munching on it here and there.
Curious...what was done as part of the dental work? Just cleaning? My cat also basically stopped eating much dry food before the cleaning but I surely hoped it would restart once the procedure was over. It hasn't. Rather, seems to be getting worse and now she's even turning up her nose at the canned food she's been eating for the past few months. Starting to think dogs are a heck of a lot easier to work with! Sorry to hear about your weight loss issue. I suspect I'll be dealing with that also. I went through it with my last cat that was hyperthyroid. This one had thyroid testing done but nothing showed up.

KJIA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
white shadow white shadow : Those values are the guaranteed analysis, which is not the same as dry matter basis. Apologies on not sending a link. There is a PDF to download from Weruva, which I attached if that helps.

T three4rd : She had dental surgery to remove a small mass/growth along her gums. I believe her teeth and dry food were hitting this growth and cutting it, leading to a lot of pain and bleeding in the area. She had stopped eating dry food, and even wet food was not very comfortable. The vet prescribed some pain medication until she was able to have surgery to remove the mass, and I would would put her wet food and extra water in the blender to make a very smooth soup which she could eat comfortably. The surgery included removing the growth (which thankfully was benign and not cancer) and cleaning her teeth. She did not need any extractions. Once she had surgery, she very quickly returned to regular wet and dry food. Sorry to hear that your cat didn't return to her usual food after her cleaning. It sure would be easier if they could just speak and tell us what's up!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: