Slow, Slow Introductions

The Practical Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I've posted on this topic in the past but progress keeps seem to be slowing or halting so I wanted to check in again at my current stage.

I got Nymeria about a month and a half, almost two months ago now. Pandora, my older resident cat, has had a very hard time coping. Nymeria is still living in my bedroom while Pandora is in the rest of the apartment.

I'm becoming pretty frustrated and impatient because it's been some time, and everything I seem to try fails some way or another. I had been making progress feeding them on opposite sides of the door so I put up two stacked baby gates in the doorway, which Nymeria immediately jumped with zero effort. So recently I acquired a dog crate and that is where I am now- putting Nymeria in the crate for an hour or so in the living room to try to get some face time with Pandora without violence.

Problem now is Pandora does not want to come into the room Nymeria is in. It's only been a couple of days so maybe the answer is "more time," but I'm not sure. Pandora is currenty on prozac for her anxiety issues (it's been maybe 3 weeks now, but I have seen some positive mood changes at least in her interactions with me), and I have a feliway diffuser. I try to lure Pandora over with treats or toys but she refuses, and if I carry her to the edge of the room (still a good 12 ft from Nym) she just hisses and runs away.

Nymeria is the aggressor which is why I'm putting her in the crate, but I'm wondering if I should try putting Pandora in instead? Nymeria would certainly approach her, but I'm also worried it may be too scary for Pandora to do that. What do others think? Any other suggestions or thoughts? If the crate fails (I do plan to give it more time of course) I am kind of at the end of the rope and will just let them be together and "work it out" as this slow introduction process has not gone nearly as smoothly as it suggests.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suggestion: place a screen door on the bedroom, and alternate the cats having the run of the apartment, with one confined one day and the other confined the next day. Generally, in the space of a week, they'll both decide that it's nicer having access to the whole place, and will - sometimes grudgingly - choose to live together in a large space, rather than being confined every other day. Your chances of success with this method are extremely high.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The Practical Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately I rent so I don't think I could install a screen door on my bedroom. Maybe I can look into some kind of removable one if those exist, though? Or try stacking a third gate..