Slightly Older Female Cat Hisses At New Younger Male Cat [cat Introductions]

garrln

Cat Father of Three
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a male 7 month old traditional lilac point siamese cat from a foster mom and have started introducing him to my other two cats. I have focused on introducing him to one cat for now and that is Miko, my 1 year and 3 month old female tuxedo cat. I started off with Miko because I tried introducing Haku (siamese cat) to our other cat chef but chef goes ballistic and attacks him.

Anyway, at first Miko hissed at his scent but over time after introducing Haku's scent to Miko she does not hiss as often. I began feeding them together then separating them after they are both done eating. Neither cat hisses and just enjoys the food. After separating them I pet both of the cats for a few minutes.

Here is where I need advice.

Today, I escalated and let them hang out supervised next to eachother because this past week Miko has been okay with Haku approaching her. While they were hanging out next to eachother, Haku put his head next to Miko. Miko proceeded to grumble and sound annoyed but she started to groom his head and then his whole upper body. She groomed his head and upperbody for a while with no problems but as soon as Haku moved, She hissed and got mad I think? I have a video of it. After that, I checked to see what would happen if Haku lied down again and she started grooming him again.

Is it bad and should I stop them if Miko grumbles while she grooms him and then hisses if he starts moving? Miko also doesn't like it if he approaches her quietly to lie next to her when she can't see him. She will hiss and lightly slap him then lay back down afterwards. She will then let Haku lay down next to her. Is this also normal?

Bonus video of them being cute

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's fine, she's making him aware that she's top cat and as long as he continues to accept his place there shouldn't be a problem.

If you can play with them both with a fishing pole toy, laser toy or something similar would be beneficial. People in this forum wax lyrical about the 'da bird' toy with good reason, young cats love it and it expels all that excess energy. While you are playing giving them treats, encouragement and a lot of affection allows them to associate the other cat with good things and takes their attention away from each other.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think everything is going wonderfully well, and yes, everything you describe is perfectly normal. After a year or so, females become more like a diva and Queen of the household than friends to any other cats. Light slaps, hisses and yowls are not uncommon at all to keep the boys in place. She is still not COMPLETELY sure of the newcomer yet, but the cleaning indicates she has accepted him, and is teaching him manners in HER household. Mother cats will hiss and slap when a baby comes up after weaning too, it is perfectly normal. As for the other male, he will come around, the newcomer is annoying right now, but he will come around. Chef needs a high place, or anyplace he can retreat to and feel safe, seeing that Miko has accepted the newcomer will help, don't force contact, and feed all as close together as you can. It will just take time. Mine were all older than yours and they did not get along at all for over 6 months!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

garrln

Cat Father of Three
Kitten
Purraise
M moorspede Yes I started doing that. I give them treats and pet them when they are laying next to each other. I also have da bird for Miko but Haku loves wrinkly teasers so he plays with that instead.

di and bob di and bob I'm just worried about chef because he is extremely threatened by Haku. I've never seen him act like how he is acting now whenever he hears or smells Haku. I tried feeding the males tpgether but Chef just stares and doesn't eat. He growls and hisses a lot.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried feeding the males tpgether but Chef just stares and doesn't eat. He growls and hisses a lot.
If you check out Jackson Galaxy's vid called "The best way to introduce two cats" he does it by feeding the cats on opposite sides of a door or baby gate, he starts with the food a fair distance away and gradually brings it closer. Cats are territorial, they feel very uneasy when they have to eat with a cat they are not comfortable with. His vid is great, it has a lot of good tips.

It can take months for introduced cats to feel comfortable with each other.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not unusual at all for Chef to be acting this way, like stated above, it will take months for him to come around. Don't force anything, let Chef growl and keep the newcomer at bay, as long as there are no outright attacks, and the new cat leaves him alone, he'll be fine. By this time next year all will be well!