Skye's Medical Mystery

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, Skye turned 15 a few weeks ago, and she was out walking fences, climbing trees and checking out the roof. Eating, drinking, playing, being a very active senior cat-- blood work on April 4 of this year was completely unremarkable, UA was good, thyroid panel with Free T4 was all fine, nothing out of the ordinary. Advantage for fleas on time a week ago... all the monthly things are good.

She does have arthritis which flares up and makes her stiff, but she gets Cosequin for that, and the stiffness is mostly when she gets up, easing off as she moves around. She had been enjoying her usual routine-- until Sunday, when we realized she wasn't drinking as she normally does. She has basically stopped drinking, though she will still eat wet food pretty well. She's acting "spooky" about everything. She's lost weight, though last imaging was fine other than arthritis. She goes to quiet places, but not deep hiding. But then, suddenly, she will brighten up and sit on the windowsill like everyone else (cat-friendly, wide and low with a great view), look around, track a bug on the screen and act like she's going to engage. Then she goes quiet again, slinking off to the quiet-but-not-hidey place and becoming rather disinterested. Box use is normal, there's no vomiting or diarrhea, no respiratory signs... nothing, other than her annual round of mosquito allergies, and she's being treated with hydrocortisone cream and antihistamines-- Depo-Medrol isn't so kind to her for some reason, so we try to avoid it because of the side effects it gives her. She is on Onsior and Cosequin for her joints, so we would have to 'wash out' the Onsior if we were to put her on pred for the allergy flare-up. But she's doing so well on the Onsior that we hate to interrupt it and have her OA flare up again, which also makes her mopey... but in a different way.

She flips from pacing and restless, to 'chill and relaxed', to quiet and withdrawn and back at random. We took her in to her vet yesterday to check this out, and nothing jumped out at us. Blood work and other labs were all stable and unremarkable. She had even gained a much-needed half a pound. She's moving freely, not hunched or limping and she can jump and sit and groom just fine. But she won't eat with much enthusiasm, and she won't drink. She will eat some of her wet food and a good bit of baby food so I can at least make sure she gets enough calories and some species-appropriate nutrition between the two. We did some SQ fluids and brought a set home with us just to be on the safe side, so we can at least keep her well hydrated if she won't drink on her own. She's also very withdrawn today, spending most of her time in the bottom hut of the cat tree. Yet it isn't like her usual "hiding", like she does when it storms or if she is frankly sick-- then, she goes under the sofa or deep into the closet or behind the bed. This seems more like 'retreating' rather than outright hiding. She wanted to go for her morning walk and we took her out with supervision. She made her rounds with us in tow, she marked her territory with face rubs. She left her scratches on the corner of the fence as she's done for years (you can clearly see her 'signature' indelibly etched in the wood!). She went up and down the stairs with no problem at all, no stiffness or limping whatsoever. She even ran a short distance in the grass. She seemed quite happy for a bit-- then she turned withdrawn again and wanted to come back inside. She went straight for the hut and she's been there ever since, about 3.5 hours, and isn't interested in much of anything. This is how she's been for several days.

We have no idea what to make of this. On the one hand, everything "tests" just fine. On the other hand, this retreating/withdrawing and nervous behavior, and the not drinking or eating well is a clear indication that something is definitely wrong. And, it's quite different from her usual 'cat privacy' behavior in some way.

At 15, could she be preparing to pass away? If she is... everything looks good clinically so I would take comfort in knowing that "it is just her time to walk to a new hunting ground" and that we gave her a good healthy life. I just want to see if others think that her time with us might be almost over, and she might be getting ready to say goodbye?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As cats age, they have good days and not so good days. It could just be that she's feeling her age. As long as her bloodwork looks good, her kidney and liver values are good, and she's using the box appropriately, I'd say she's okay. Often after sub-q fluids appetite is decreased due to feeling "full" from the fluids, but that usually wears off. I don't know which part of Texas you're in, but in half of the state the humidity has been horrible and the heat has finally set in. That might be affecting her as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As cats age, they have good days and not so good days. It could just be that she's feeling her age. As long as her bloodwork looks good, her kidney and liver values are good, and she's using the box appropriately, I'd say she's okay. Often after sub-q fluids appetite is decreased due to feeling "full" from the fluids, but that usually wears off. I don't know which part of Texas you're in, but in half of the state the humidity has been horrible and the heat has finally set in. That might be affecting her as well.
Ugh... yes, we're in the DFW area! It rained a bit yesterday, but it was so hot on Sunday! I know that I was a soggy, sweaty mess, LOL! It was definitely a 3-shower day!

Well, the drinking went off on Sunday and we gave it 24 hours since she was still eating a good amount of wet food. But after 24 hours with no observed drinking or visits to the water bowl, we decided that we had better address it before it got out of hand-- because it has been so hot. She did eat a light breakfast, but doesn't want her mid-morning snack. She also hasn't had a drink yet. Her only hydration since Sunday has been from whatever wet food she's eaten, and the SQ fluids. I'm glad we did that, in hindsight. Had we not, I'm sure she would be rather worse off.

She doesn't appear to be in any frank distress... just so withdrawn. It's pretty sad to see, in a way.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
It's probably the heat. My 14 year old calico Pumpy gets days where she sleeps all the time-she still eats treats and is on medication for arthritis. This summer will be 2 years she has been on pred. It was only every other day but this year it's been daily dose and she seems to walk better. Last night I had to give her gabapentin from the thunderstorms-she was limping-the vet said we need to get her to loose weight-which I have cut back kibble but no such luck. My girls don't eat much when it's hot either.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Foxxy, for your insights... it's just such a sudden change for Skye. Just 3 weeks ago, she was climbing trees and going on the roof. She was an eating and drinking machine, too, ha ha! She was eating wet food then, too-- she's been eating wet for quite some time, though she also loves a serving of DRY Primal Nugget. She won't eat it wet, even though she eats other wet food... go figure!

Well, I did just find a big gray hairball, obviously one of hers, that appears to have been recently produced. Maybe she's really clogged up and feeling puny. I'll step up the hairball remedy and add a bit of pumpkin to her food, and see if that makes a difference. She is feeling really itchy from her seasonal skeeter allergies and she's grooming a lot so it seems possible-- and a lot less dire-- that her issue is a bunch of junk in her gut. It can't hurt to try, anyway. I also gave her .5 ml of Pet-Tinic vitamin liquid to help perk up her appetite and energy... kitty Geritol!

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I gave the hairball and pumpkin as planned. I don't know if she launched another hairball or not, but we finally saw her get a good big drink of water. She might very well have been drinking after we've been asleep and we didn't see it happen. She has been acting a bit spooky lately, like something had really frightened her. She's been withdrawn, and drinking position with the head down is sort of a vulnerable spot-- so maybe she's been waiting until everything's quiet and the other cats are in the bedroom with us before she lowers her guard enough to drink. Or maybe she did launch a hairball and now her gut's calming down.

Whatever the reason, it was good to see her getting some water. She's still moody, but now we know her hydration and food intake isn't lacking.