Single cat pooping on floor

sarabellar hypoplasia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! My partner has had this sweet cat for a few years and we are desperately trying to get to the bottom of an ongoing issue.

For background, she is female, fixed, and has mild cerebellar hypoplasia. Her case is very mild and she has no problem walking or playing, but can't jump as high as a normal cat, has reduced eyesight (we leave lights on for her at night), and because of her weak hind legs, she requires an igloo litter box so there's no pee spray. She is very slightly overweight but has been on a diet now for a few months.

My partner lived with this cat in his previous residence. (2019). He returned from a week vacation (friend was watching the cat), and noticed the cat had pooped on the floor. Given that it was a week away, he cleaned it up and figured she had just missed him.

This poop spot in the hallway because a regular thing for the cat. It happened most days when the cat needed to poop but not every day. My partner immediately cleaned the area each time he caught it, and started trying new litter, cleaning the box more often, etc. He purchased the pheromone plug in diffusers and they yielded no change.

March 2020, partner moves in with me, the cat pooping on the floor mysteriously disappears. We also purchase the igloo for her because her previous box wasn't catching all the pee. She starts using this litter box no problem, and does not poop on the floor until June 2021.

Concerned about the behavior cropping up again, the cat is taken to the vet, tests run, clean bill of health no UTI, no digestive issues. This is when the vet suggests we put her on a diet to keep her at a healthy weight. She continues to poop on the floor most days, with some days in the box. Again, box is cleaned every day, various litters tried. This time she is only pooping right next to the box. Pees in the box with no problem, however.

We also notice that on occasion (once a month), cat twitches in sleep and will actually piss herself in sleep. We realize this might not be a fluke and may actually be seizures, but have no money to check for that. We monitor.

July 2021 we had a huge move across country. For a period of two weeks the cat is kept mostly isolated in a garage office while we stay with family who are allergic to cats. Cat has NO problems, NO pooping on the floor, no pissing itself in sleep, no other behavioral problems.

August 2021 we move into our new (small) apartment. Cat adjusts just fine, uses litter box with no issues.

October 2021 she begins pooping on the floor next to her box again. Most days, but not every day. Since our initial move in, there has been NO variability. We have not changed litters, furniture, schedules, food, or anything else. She has had 3 instances of the pissing while sleeping/maybe seizures. Two days ago she pooped under a chair.

We are simply at our wits end. Additional litter boxes are not an option because of our apartment size, and her consistent use of her igloo seems to me to indicate that her box style is not the issue.

I really thought it was stress but she seems to get better WITH change not without it. The vets have consistently written this off as behavioral, but I am not convinced that it is or what could possibly be contributing at this point.

Because of her apparent seizure-like instances, I am concerned this may be a neurological problem in addition to her CH, but we have no money to run tests for this.

Any ideas on strategies we could try at home to diagnose the root of this? Again, we have tried shifting the litter box, deep cleaning areas where she might have smelled poop on the floor, pheromones/anxiety reduction, new food, etc etc. none of these have helped. She does not have a UTI or digestive issues. There are no other animals in our house that could contribute.

Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarabellar hypoplasia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To add to this - her current pooping problem has no apparent pattern. She might poop at night or in the morning, she has done it while we are sitting in the room and watching her, or when we are away. There's no construction, or smells, or people coming over to the house. We always reward her immedtiately with extra treats and attention when we see her use the box, but obviously it can be hard to catch ;-)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is there any chance that when these moves/changes took place the litterbox was thoroughly cleaned and that somehow contributed to her using it more routinely? Cats can be quirky, or become quirky, about their litterboxes and the condition they are in. I know you said you clean out her igloo daily, maybe daily isn't enough. Perhaps, those time she has gone outside the box were when there was already poop in it and she won't go a second time without it be scooped first? I'd see if scooping/cleaning after each and every time she uses it might help any. It's a pain, I know, but the only other suggestion I was going to make was to give her two litterboxes and see what happens - that is, until you said you have no room for a second one. If you can figure out a way to squeeze another litterbox into your floor plan, I would suggest you try this angle. Setting them close to each other would be best.

Is there any change to the consistency of her poop on those times when she goes outside the box? Something to do with her having a mild digestive issue going on when she poops outside the box?

Lastly, I know there is a CH Facebook page you might be interested in joining to ask those members about the potential seizures/incontinence. I do know I have heard of tremors being triggered at times by particular movements - maybe she is dreaming in her sleep and some movement she is dreaming about causes a seizure-like response and momentary loss of bladder control? This FB group may have some members with similar experiences, up to and including the litterbox issue as well.
Cerebellar Hypoplasia Cats and Kittens | Facebook

Sorry I don't have more to offer.

Last edited:

sarabellar hypoplasia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Is there any chance that when these moves/changes took place the litterbox was thoroughly cleaned and that somehow contributed to her using it more routinely? Cats can be quirky, or become quirky, about their litterboxes and the condition they are in. I know you said you clean out her igloo daily, maybe daily isn't enough. Perhaps, those time she has gone outside the box were when there was already poop in it and she won't go a second time without it be scooped first? I'd see if scooping/cleaning after each and every time she uses it might help any. It's a pain, I know, but the only other suggestion I was going to make was to give her two litterboxes and see what happens - that is, until you said you have no room for a second one. If you can figure out a way to squeeze another litterbox into your floor plan, I would suggest you try this angle. Setting them close to each other would be best.

Is there any change to the consistency of her poop on those times when she goes outside the box? Something to do with her having a mild digestive issue going on when she poops outside the box?

Lastly, I know there is a CH Facebook page you might be interested in joining to ask those members about the potential seizures/incontinence. I do know I have heard of tremors being triggered at times by particular movements - maybe she is dreaming in her sleep and some movement she is dreaming about causes a seizure-like response and momentary loss of bladder control? This FB group may have some members with similar experiences, up to and including the litterbox issue as well.
Cerebellar Hypoplasia Cats and Kittens | Facebook

Sorry I don't have more to offer.
Thanks for your response! My partner religiously scoops the poops out of her box daily, so the times she has pooped outside of the box, there is no poop in there. But maybe she can't deal with the pee being in there when she poops. I'll ask him to try this. It clearly doesn't stop her from peeing in there with old pee, but who am I to figure out animal psychology :)

sarabellar hypoplasia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P.S. no poop inconsistency to report. Vet appt verified no constipation or parasites or anything like that. Her frequency remains consistent.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a second, open litter box? I know you say that an additional box isn't an option, but I'd say it's worth a try, as it's better than poop on the floor. She might be happy using the igloo for urine, but maybe it feels too cramped for poop, especially considering her mild hypoplasia and the fact that she needs to get in a different position for pooping. I used to take care of a cat with moderate hypoplasia, and he would sometimes slip in the box, so I could see her feeling like it's easier to poop on a surface where she can really get some traction.

I know a lot of cats don't like to poop where they pee, and vice versa, so it could also be as simple as that. I think that's why the general litter box rule is to have one more box than you have cats.

Good luck!

edited to add: I missed that someone else recommended a second box--hope that works!!