Similar raw red marks on cats noses

Nannyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried dabbing their noses with a salt water solution ? I had been doing that and the vet said to continue it
Oh never thought of that. Your kitty don’t seem as bad. Maybe the salt water is helpful. I have put coconut oil on it cause it’s pretty crusty. And some polysporin as per vet suggestion. They actually ate a bit today but definitely no where near playing with kitty anytime soon lol

Kresta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh never thought of that. Your kitty don’t seem as bad. Maybe the salt water is helpful. I have put coconut oil on it cause it’s pretty crusty. And some polysporin as per vet suggestion. They actually ate a bit today but definitely no where near playing with kitty anytime soon lol

Yara M.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat "Sashu" has this ulcer for months that keeps coming back after healing .. My vet told me that this is a clear sign of Calicivirus according to the history of Sashu, he was previously severely ill and got upper and lower respiratory tract infection. He became better but till now he has this ulcer coming back whenever he started to sneeze again and having a stuffy nose.

So the vet told me this is some kind of chronic respiratory infection mainly because of the damage caused by the calicivirus, knowing that my cat was already vaccinated but he got it because he was treated with corticosterone that lowers immunity system before being ill.

Sigh,, it has been a long painful journey, I wish Sashu gets better, I gave him vitamins and lately the doctor asked to give him l-lysine to increase his immunity

I hope this information will help anyone who recognizes any symptoms of what I said to take his cat to the vet to prevent any chronic diseases later

Kresta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I to read about that virus and thought surely if that was what zoey had them you think he would be aware of it ? However now Zoeys nose yep weeks since it started and one week since the vet has cleared up . I had read about the lysine as well and got some but haven’t given any yet... so your cats nose will heal up and then flare back up ? Geeez... I hope we don’t go through that , although at least I know what it is , thanks for sharing !

Chainmefree85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This recently happened to my tabbico. I started fostering baby kittens mostly that need to be bottle fed, and we lost quiet a few over the last 3 weeks. My tabbico, Bobbie, stays in my room and around 4 days aho i noticed she wasnt coming out from under my bed.... And she normally sleeps with me at night. Then tonight she came out yeowing like crazy. Like she wanted to leave my bedroom(which she never does). I was able to grab her and put her up on my bed. But she was skittish and shes never been skittish of me. Once on my bed i was petting her and i noticed she was drooling a ton, and it was a foul smelling drool. I turned on my light and looked and sure enough there was a sore. The swelling runs down the right inside of her upper lip. She wouldn't drink or eat(I syringed about 12mls of liquid into her) and once i put a small bit of soft food in her mouth she went to town eating. But i had to clean up the drool first. I habe blocked her pathway to under my bed and i am keeping a close eye on her. It is scabbed over and i move her lips she doesn't seem to mind just seems like she can't smell. Not sure how long its been since she drank or ate. So I'm stressing about kidney damage since everyone says that what the smell could be.... Kind of freaking out. Do you think its the stress of the new kittens that were in my room for 6 days?

Nannyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This recently happened to my tabbico. I started fostering baby kittens mostly that need to be bottle fed, and we lost quiet a few over the last 3 weeks. My tabbico, Bobbie, stays in my room and around 4 days aho i noticed she wasnt coming out from under my bed.... And she normally sleeps with me at night. Then tonight she came out yeowing like crazy. Like she wanted to leave my bedroom(which she never does). I was able to grab her and put her up on my bed. But she was skittish and shes never been skittish of me. Once on my bed i was petting her and i noticed she was drooling a ton, and it was a foul smelling drool. I turned on my light and looked and sure enough there was a sore. The swelling runs down the right inside of her upper lip. She wouldn't drink or eat(I syringed about 12mls of liquid into her) and once i put a small bit of soft food in her mouth she went to town eating. But i had to clean up the drool first. I habe blocked her pathway to under my bed and i am keeping a close eye on her. It is scabbed over and i move her lips she doesn't seem to mind just seems like she can't smell. Not sure how long its been since she drank or ate. So I'm stressing about kidney damage since everyone says that what the smell could be.... Kind of freaking out. Do you think its the stress of the new kittens that were in my room for 6 days?
Yes absolute I think it’s because of the kittens. Happened to my 2 cats when I brought home 2 kittens back in August. They both stopped eating for over a week, red sores on nose and one had a little on his lip as well. One was hiding all the time under the bed. They eventually returned back to normal. Keep the kittens isolated to their own room, and make sure your kitty still has it’s free roam of the house. He will come out of it. Lots lots of attention.

Chainmefree85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks her nose is looking better today scabe seems to be gone. She still isn't eating or drinking. Still drooling so I'm still syringing alternating water then 6 hours later goat milk. I will offer her food in a bit. She is sleeping curled up next to me on the bed though i think thats just because she can't get under the bed

Kelseyboo77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is what my baby’s nose looks like too! But hers is from eating out of a food can, scraping her nose up against it over and over again, so now that I know, I only feed her out of wide open bowls or plates! I hope this helps!

Daniboosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Guys,

This is called Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex in Cats.
My cat has struggled with this for the last 7 years and it’s usually one flare up once a year. Vets say it’s caused by allergic reactions that make the immune cells attack particular parts of the cats body.
It’s usually lips, nose or paws that are effected.
Trip to the vet and a steroid shot clears this up fast. If left untreated it can takes months to heal on its on with the effected areas usually becoming worse and infected.
As you all probably see it starts to heal and then the scabs will come off and it will be raw and start all over again.