Silent Meowing/pooping Outside Clean Litter Box

MegAH2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! I hate to be a hypochondriac, but this year so far I've had one cat have a urinary blockage (twice, but the first time I almost didn't take him in because I didn't know what it was but I thought, he'll get over it!!), and a second cat I put down because of dilated myopathy (Breathing heavy for a while, but hey, she's always had hairballs, right?!).. So, I'm learning sudden changes in a cat can signal, and often do signal, something bad maybe. My very relaxed cat Max (he's 8 years old), has lately been silent meowing (more than normal), and all of a sudden has been pooping outside the litter box.. weird to connect these two, but both very odd for him! I had him into the vet a few months back because he has a drooling problem, but it's just because he's a happy kitty :). Anyone think this could just be coincidence? I'm going to switch to a non-scented litter, but they've been using the same litter for years. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks,
Megan

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't say for sure whether the silent meowing is connected, but suddenly pooping outside of the box could be caused by constipation or a urinary problem (either crystals or cystitis). My first instinct would be to get hime checked out by a vet. I'd always rather be safe than sorry with litterbox issues!

It's also possible, especially if he's going just outside the box, that you're simply not scooping it as often as he'd like! It's always worth scooping more often and/or adding in an extra box or two to see if it helps, but I'd get him checked out too, just in case ;) There's no reason to switch litters straight away - I'd want to rule out the other possibilities first in any case, as a sudden litter change could actually exacerbate the problem.
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Everything You Need To Know About Constipation In Cats
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know

I'm so sorry for your loss :rbheart::hugs: I've lost two furkids to cardiomyopathy myself (one this year and one a few years back). it's a horrible disease :(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What litter are you using? Is it Tidy Cats? Just wondering, because I'm having some problems with their new scents. Is your cat urinating okay?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news yesterday at Target I saw Arm & Hammer has a new light weigh clumping litter.. I'm trying it out next month to see if it is unscented (I hope it will be since Tidy Cats lightweight is scented & regular arm & hammer clumping isn't scented.)

I hope Max turns out to be OK. If I was guessing I would say it is something physical.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news yesterday at Target I saw Arm & Hammer has a new light weigh clumping litter.. I'm trying it out next month to see if it is unscented (I hope it will be since Tidy Cats lightweight is scented & regular arm & hammer clumping isn't scented.)

I hope Max turns out to be OK. If I was guessing I would say it is something physical.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MegAH2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Scoop away. He hasn't done it again, and maybe it's cus I had scooped it shortly before and it brought up weird scents? I did take him into the vet, because he was chasing things I couldn't see (lol), but he is ok! Thanks for your concern, I hope your new litter works for you! I haven't tried the light-weight litters yet!