Signs Of Labour

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tillycat17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update- kittens doing well, all putting on lots of weight.

One has a slightly crusty eye which I've been wiping. Wondering whether she needs a vet trip? I keep trying to get a picture but they are all blurry!

Neutering question: I phoned the vets up and they weren't helpful at all. Said I should bring her in for a check up with the nurse first which is fine but she said to leave the kittens at home! To which I said they are only 3 weeks and she spoke to the vet who said to start weaning them?! I replied that I would like to book the appointment with the nurse when the kittens are 5 weeks and I will bring them all and book the spay apt for when they are 8weeks? Does this sound okay?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No need to bring them in until 8 weeks provided all is well. Vaccines start at 8 weeks. Mom can be spayed then.

They are too young to wean at 3 weeks.

It's odd that the vet's office won't put a spay appointment on the books in advance.

Is this your regular vet? If not, phone a different vet.

The crusty eye may need terramycin eye ointment. It's available at tractor supply stores, online, or from the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tillycat17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update- kittens are 3weeks now. Moving fast and starting to play with each other.

Mum cat looks like she's trying to wean them? Lots of times she will now kick them off if she tries to feed them and 2 have dropped down to just 6g gain per day. Before they were gaining 10-20g.
Should I start supplementing them? We have KMR which mum cat has a bowl of per day.

Attachments

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The babies are adorable! I'm sorry to hear you are having such issues! I hope it has all settled down by now. Our mama likes to bring me a kitten and drop it on me feet while I am working (she is closed in my home office) so I have been super paranoid about moving at all. I also have a baby with the funky gunk in his eye so we are off to find some antibiotics this afternoon. Love the pics! They all look healthy and happy. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you should supplement until they are able to eat soft foods.

Six grams a day gain is not enough.