Sick Cat Hiding Under Bathtub

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a sick cat that is hiding underneath my bathtub. I need to get her out.
I need suggestion for long flexible items such as a toilet snake to get her out.
please share ideas. Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I suppose since she is sick, she wouldn't come out for treats/human food of some kind?

What kind of bathtub - a claw foot? Do you have access to more than one side? If so, you could use a broom, or similar type tool, to gently push her out.

Is it urgent that you get her out? If not, maybe set some food and water nearby and see if she will come out on her own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose since she is sick, she wouldn't come out for treats/human food of some kind?

What kind of bathtub - a claw foot? Do you have access to more than one side? If so, you could use a broom, or similar type tool, to gently push her out.

Is it urgent that you get her out? If not, maybe set some food and water nearby and see if she will come out on her own.
. She has uveitis which I’ve been treating over a month. We just saw the vet a few days ago. She doesn’t like me to put the ointment in her eyes, but I think it’s more serious. There is only an opening on one side and it’s hard to even get on the floor. It’s a cast iron tub enclosed. She came out briefly and started “screaming” ran back in. Came out again, I got on the floor to reach for her and she hissed and screamed again. She is my foster. We are concerned she may have went blind or has glaucoma…. It’s rather urgent as we need to know what is going on with her. A broom is not flexible. I may try the auger, but was hoping to get something with a bigger tip to push her out and around

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A pair of long handled grabbers may work. They open wide enough and close gently enough to get ahold of her and pull her out. Or if she is afraid of the vacuum cleaner as most cats are, stick the hose almost under and turn it on. It is not a gentle way to remove her but will get her out.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P31V2M1/?tag=thecatsite

Something like this that can be gotten at most pet/fish supplies. With a small net or easily bendable net and an extendable handle. You can probably find other things with an extendable handle that you can duct tape something to the end of and extend after it's through the opening. I have a backscratcher that extends and an extendable magnet to pick up nails and screws.

Good luck

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I tried to use the hose attachment from my carpet cleaner and it got stuck:yess:
We then went to the other side of the wall and cut through the drywall …only to hit wood which we had no luck with. Tomorrow if she hasn’t surfaced, I will be calling a plumber to remove the bathtub.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use a bed sheet and a broomstick.

Attach one end of the sheet to the end of the stick then use the stick to push it under the bathtub.
Snake it behind the cat and pull the end out. Gather both ends together until the bed sheet makes the shape of a letter "U" then pull both ends. The cat should be swept out when the sheet comes out.

If you need to, you might be able to unfurl the sheet and use it like a scoop.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going to get flak for saying this but I would try a spray bottle (or similar) to get her moving. If she's like my cat, she will reflexively run out to avoid the spray.

(This has been my technique for dislodging my cat from under the sofa outside, when it's been an emergency and I needed to get her inside asap. I use the garden hose set to the widest spray, and try to make it so she can't see it's me doing it and she doesn't actually get wet).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure if the OP has access to any part of the area except through one opening.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm having difficulty imaginging what the tub set up is like. I know freestanding claw foot tubs with access on all four sides but I can't seem to picture an enclosed one. Were three walls built around a previously freestanding tub? A picture of the tub would be helpful and suggestions could be made on how to block off the opening once the cat is removed from underneath.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
***** She is out now and in a cage it would appear she has glaucoma and we are going to the vet first thing in the morning****

FTR - It is not clawfoot it is enclosed by 3 walls and it is cast iron. The way she got in is because behind the back wall to access the pipes is open and I had kept it open because a couple of my cats go there to hide - their safe space.