Siamese Kitten Behavior (advice Please!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with Siamese, but I recently adopted a skittish adolescent, and it really does take lots of patience. I think we take for granted how large and scary our apartments/houses can be for them. Even if we keep them in one room to start with, there are new people coming and going, new noises, etc. It's hard to interact with new people in a scary new environment on top of that, and curtailing their freedom of movement can only make them less comfortable. I think you're doing absolutely the right things by playing with them, talking to them, and spending time around them in the meantime.

:p
Yes, I'm noticing that. I tried to imagine how I would feel, and I would feel the same way most likely. Even though they are still somewhat skittish, they are becoming less so as the days go on...

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm noticing that. I tried to imagine how I would feel, and I would feel the same way most likely. Even though they are still somewhat skittish, they are becoming less so as the days go on...
I DO have experience with Siamese. I now have Burmese which are like quieter but equally determined Siamese. Basically if they want something you're gonna hear about it. They are a force of nature. Nothing will stop them from getting what they want. Playful to the point of destructive. Incredibly curious. Worryingly intelligent. Two of them together will be utter carnage, but hysterically funny.

the flip side of the determination is their personality; Incredibly loyal, affectionate, loving cats. They are going to melt your heart and wrap you around their paws.

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All perfectly normal. Sounds like you are doing right. give them routine, consistently. build their confidence, their trust. Move slow, no sudden loud noises. Something will click and a few months from now you will wonder what has happened to your world. Enjoy the passive Siamese whilst you can, pretty soon they will be in charge of your life. Siamese are awesome :)
Great, thank you! Good, I'm looking forward to the more outgoing Siamese, I'm still waiting to hear that famous meow I hear so much about! ;)

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great, thank you! Good, I'm looking forward to the more outgoing Siamese, I'm still waiting to hear that famous meow I hear so much about! ;)
LOL. When you hear it, you'll know they have settled in. It will be their first demand. Remember, cats Miaow for people not each other, so when you hear it, you are being told something, and because they are Siamese, you better jump to it !

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would leave the carrier out and throw treats in there, replacing at least once a day. Hopefully in a day or two they come get them even if you are in the room. Many of us have to do this with our older cats, because they learn to recognize the carrier, or at least to associate it with bad stuff. So we have to leave it out, generally overnight is enough for me, and then throw the treats in to lure them in. Bringing the carrier out 10 minutes before you want to leave for the vet can turn into a total disaster with cats of any age, even ones that normally like you a ton.

Hopefully you have one of those big two cat carriers. Just a lot easier, even for folks that only have one cat. I find that with the one cat carriers, they stick their face or paws in, get the treat, and don't go all the way in. So its not the greatest with reluctant cats.
I have the following carrier:
It fit both of them nicely. I'm hoping it's big enough?!? I will move the carrier back (I moved it out a few days ago) and see what happens. :) Thanks for the advice!

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I DO have experience with Siamese. I now have Burmese which are like quieter but equally determined Siamese. Basically if they want something you're gonna hear about it. They are a force of nature. Nothing will stop them from getting what they want. Playful to the point of destructive. Incredibly curious. Worryingly intelligent. Two of them together will be utter carnage, but hysterically funny.

the flip side of the determination is their personality; Incredibly loyal, affectionate, loving cats. They are going to melt your heart and wrap you around their paws.
They sound lovely, I'm already loving spending time with them even in their current state, so I'm sure it will be even more fantastic when they get more comfortable with us humans! :)

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL. When you hear it, you'll know they have settled in. It will be their first demand. Remember, cats Miaow for people not each other, so when you hear it, you are being told something, and because they are Siamese, you better jump to it !
Noted! :thanks:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My baby meezer, my first cat--gracious sakes what a personality. At the time we didn't know better about outside cats. We lived in the country and he would be who knows where, at least a couple miles away. I would step out on the porch and yell his name, he'd start yelling back to me at the top of his voice all the way home. It was one of the most charming and hilarious things I've ever run into.
This was the same cat who was doing laps in the house one day, veered off course and up onto my mom's desk. She had a painting of a vase of flowers on a table hanging on the wall over the desk and this cat, at full speed, didn't realize and tried to jump into the painting. Knocked himself silly for a bit - we were laughing and crying all at the same time, but yes, he was ok :flail::tongue:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your carrier looks very comfy and should be totally fine for now. That said, I'd likely rather have a rigid door to the carrier and bolt over a zipper, because as the cats get bigger, if they are afraid of the vet, it may be very difficult for you to get that door zipped up. Its likely a non-issue if the process I describe works, but in the long run, sooner or later, you'll likely mess up at least once or twice and your cats may give you a devil of a time. If that happens, you'd rather have a rigid door with a bolt that can be closed and locked rapidly. But who knows how your babies will turn out, may be a non-issue. Wait and see. Most of my bad experiences with getting cats in carriers were 15 years ago when I had no clue how to approach the issue -- if you use the method I described in my prior post it will likely be fine.

I use something like this - Frisco Two Door Top Load Plastic Kennel, Blue - minus the top door.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm remembering my bud at 4 months .... oh my goodness was he a terror. He is only part siamese mind you. I call him my shadow but more often I call him punk or bud. He uses me like a giant security blanket. If he lost his human at 4 months I'm not sure how he would react. It took him 2 years (and LOTS of treats) to warm up to my mom. I would suggest practicing your slow blink or just keeping your eyes closed. Since cats take eye contact as threat. I would also practice your fake puuurrr if you can?

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby meezer, my first cat--gracious sakes what a personality. At the time we didn't know better about outside cats. We lived in the country and he would be who knows where, at least a couple miles away. I would step out on the porch and yell his name, he'd start yelling back to me at the top of his voice all the way home. It was one of the most charming and hilarious things I've ever run into.
This was the same cat who was doing laps in the house one day, veered off course and up onto my mom's desk. She had a painting of a vase of flowers on a table hanging on the wall over the desk and this cat, at full speed, didn't realize and tried to jump into the painting. Knocked himself silly for a bit - we were laughing and crying all at the same time, but yes, he was ok :flail::tongue:
He sounds fun! :)

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your carrier looks very comfy and should be totally fine for now. That said, I'd likely rather have a rigid door to the carrier and bolt over a zipper, because as the cats get bigger, if they are afraid of the vet, it may be very difficult for you to get that door zipped up. Its likely a non-issue if the process I describe works, but in the long run, sooner or later, you'll likely mess up at least once or twice and your cats may give you a devil of a time. If that happens, you'd rather have a rigid door with a bolt that can be closed and locked rapidly. But who knows how your babies will turn out, may be a non-issue. Wait and see. Most of my bad experiences with getting cats in carriers were 15 years ago when I had no clue how to approach the issue -- if you use the method I described in my prior post it will likely be fine.

I use something like this - Frisco Two Door Top Load Plastic Kennel, Blue - minus the top door.
This helps a great deal, thank you! :)

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm remembering my bud at 4 months .... oh my goodness was he a terror. He is only part siamese mind you. I call him my shadow but more often I call him punk or bud. He uses me like a giant security blanket. If he lost his human at 4 months I'm not sure how he would react. It took him 2 years (and LOTS of treats) to warm up to my mom. I would suggest practicing your slow blink or just keeping your eyes closed. Since cats take eye contact as threat. I would also practice your fake puuurrr if you can?
Good to know, thank you for the advice! :)