Siamese Kitten Behavior (advice Please!)

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About a week ago, I brought home two adorable littermates Siamese kittens, a boy, and a girl. I'm struggling to understand if their behavior is normal, and hoping someone can help me.

It's only been a week, but the kittens are still relatively skittish. Granted, I'm not home all day (I work several jobs) but I come home early every evening and try to spend 2-3 hours engaging and playing with them. They are in my bedroom right now and spent their first few days there hiding in my box spring. After that, they started coming out more frequently, but they still run away when I enter the room. Sometimes they will stop and stare for a period, then run, but any time I try to touch them, they move back and/or run away.

I know this is not what happens the rest of the time when they are on their own; my dad, who is retired and is at home all day (in a different room, obviously) hears them frolicking and I know from things being moved/thrown on the floor that they are playing and being quite social with each other when I'm away, but right now they are still not engaging with me too much.

There have been some good signs though: the past few days, I have been laying on the floor next to the bed (which they are often hiding underneath) and speaking softly to them. Sometimes I provide treats and the boy cat (who is much more outgoing), will, after about five minutes of staring, cautiously eat them from my hand. I also let him lick the spoon from the wet food, which he did, again, after staring for five minutes. I was able to touch the boy cat lightly on the chin and on the paw for a few seconds, then yesterday, I was able to finally pick him up (he was tough to catch) and pet him for about 10 seconds before he escaped. And a night or two ago, I was convinced that I woke up to the boy cat laying on my chest (he sprang up and left as soon as I woke up).

The girl cat is extremely shy, and I've had a tough time even touching her at all; she is even more skittish. However, they do "smell" my slippers and shoes, (even capturing them and dragging them under the bed) and sometimes will brush lightly against my feet and ankles if I'm sitting really still.

I do play with them as well, using a feather toy, a dangly "toy on a stick", and even ribbon for them to chase. They respond well to that.

My question is, is this normal behavior for nearly four-month-old kittens? I read all this literature on how Siamese cats are vocal, friendly, almost "dog-like" in their behavior, but I'm not seeing this at all. I'm just worried that this is more than just a temporary state. I realize that leaving their parents (I purchased them from a breeder) was no doubt traumatizing, plus we had to drive three hours to get them home in the dark, through twisting roads. I'm sure I would have been scared too.

I'm a bit worried because I will have to spay/neuter them in a little over a week and can't do that if I cannot even catch them to put them in the carrier. I've had cats before, but never kittens, so I'm not really sure what to expect either. Any advice would be appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! It's totally normal. You are doing great things with your baby Meezers :redheartpump:
Rather than rush picking them up, why not put an open carrier in their room, then when you're there tempt them into it ....? Hmmm, not sure about that, but you'll likely hear from other members

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds normal for a kitten who wasn't socialized too much with humans plus in a new environment. Don't push them too hard on the interactions but do continue to be there with them. It sounds like you are heading in the right direction. My girl was much worse at that age but she's really com around in the past few years. I still can't pick her up easily but she is more interactive and social then she was originally.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your doing all the right stuff except for the grabby bits. Every time you grab, their heartbeat goes up 1000x and they think there is a real reason to be scared. You have to wait until they trust you and come to you. The process can take a week or so. You are going a little slower because you aren't home that much and you didn't know that grabbing was a mistake. By "grabbing" I include picking up even if they come to you, imprisoning with your hands or anything like that. Pretend the cat is a girl that thinks you might be a Harvey Weinstein.

Your instincts are good. More patience, do the same stuff, minus the grabbing, and it wont be long.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But, not to speak for the OP :) --what can the OP do to get them to the vet?
Meezers ROCK by the way ;)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Time and patience until the cats trust her more. With my girl I had to grab her while she was distracted with something else the first year (most when she was eating). After a while, if I moved quickly, I could grab her while petting. Now, after three years, I can sit somewhere and she will come to me. She still squirms as I pick her up but it is less chasing and more just getting a hand around her belly while petting and scooping. I only pick my girl up may four or five times a year if I have to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! It's totally normal. You are doing great things with your baby Meezers :redheartpump:
Rather than rush picking them up, why not put an open carrier in their room, then when you're there tempt them into it ....? Hmmm, not sure about that, but you'll likely hear from other members
Hi, thank you so much for the encouragement! I feel better knowing this is not unusual and that I am doing well...I think at this point they are traumatized by the carrier still. I had it in the room for a while but decided to move it because I could see them skirting it whenever they were near. Hopefully, in a while, it will be easier and they will be willing to explore it. :)

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds normal for a kitten who wasn't socialized too much with humans plus in a new environment. Don't push them too hard on the interactions but do continue to be there with them. It sounds like you are heading in the right direction. My girl was much worse at that age but she's really com around in the past few years. I still can't pick her up easily but she is more interactive and social then she was originally.
Thank you for this advice! Yes, I'm trying to let them do their own thing now and not be as assertive in trying to encourage interaction. They seem to be wandering around more freely, hopefully, that means they are becoming more comfortable. They are still remarkably quiet though.

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your doing all the right stuff except for the grabby bits. Every time you grab, their heartbeat goes up 1000x and they think there is a real reason to be scared. You have to wait until they trust you and come to you. The process can take a week or so. You are going a little slower because you aren't home that much and you didn't know that grabbing was a mistake. By "grabbing" I include picking up even if they come to you, imprisoning with your hands or anything like that. Pretend the cat is a girl that thinks you might be a Harvey Weinstein.

Your instincts are good. More patience, do the same stuff, minus the grabbing, and it wont be long.
Thank you so much for this advice. I've struggled with understanding different advice from different people - most told me to try to instigate contact, especially to prevent the kittens from becoming "anti-social". But I felt it was a bit "much" to try to create contact, especially since they haven't been here long. From now on, I will wait for them to come to me and just try to be supportive. ;)

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Time and patience until the cats trust her more. With my girl I had to grab her while she was distracted with something else the first year (most when she was eating). After a while, if I moved quickly, I could grab her while petting. Now, after three years, I can sit somewhere and she will come to me. She still squirms as I pick her up but it is less chasing and more just getting a hand around her belly while petting and scooping. I only pick my girl up may four or five times a year if I have to.
Thank you for this info! :)

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another question for all of you - is it true that Siamese cats (especially kittens) require more attention than other cats?

I ask because I read another forum and the comments seemed to indicate that it was not advisable to have Siamese kittens/cats if you could not be with them all the time. I understand loneliness is the worst thing for Siamese, and that's part of the reason I got a pair of them, so they could keep each other company. I work seasonally, and in a week or so I will be able to spend way more time with them, but for now, they are home all day. I do come home to feed them early afternoon and come home as early as possible to spend 2 hours or so with them before I sleep. I also have a business and plan to take them there with me (when they allow me, that is) so we can spend more time together. I hate to be that anxious "cat mom" but wanted to get your thoughts on this...thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again, I have had the enormous pleasure of being owned by a couple Meezers. The first one was a very rambunctious, energetic, confident wonderful applehead (old style). The second was a delicate, sweet, utterly charming, super loving little female.
These cats bond, and it's a very strong bond with their human.
However, they are as capable as any feline of entertaining themselves.
You are doing a terrific job and they are lucky to have you!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with Siamese, but I recently adopted a skittish adolescent, and it really does take lots of patience. I think we take for granted how large and scary our apartments/houses can be for them. Even if we keep them in one room to start with, there are new people coming and going, new noises, etc. It's hard to interact with new people in a scary new environment on top of that, and curtailing their freedom of movement can only make them less comfortable. I think you're doing absolutely the right things by playing with them, talking to them, and spending time around them in the meantime.

Pretend the cat is a girl that thinks you might be a Harvey Weinstein.
:p

ScarlettSkater

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again, I have had the enormous pleasure of being owned by a couple Meezers. The first one was a very rambunctious, energetic, confident wonderful applehead (old style). The second was a delicate, sweet, utterly charming, super loving little female.
These cats bond, and it's a very strong bond with their human.
However, they are as capable as any feline of entertaining themselves.
You are doing a terrific job and they are lucky to have you!
Can you tell I'm a first-time "cat mom" lol? :lol:

Your words really help, I'm so glad they are able to be on their own and not get too lonely. I had noticed that as well - even when I'm there, they devise ways to entertain themselves, (which often involves knocking things over/swatting at things/jumping and falling off things). They are delightful though, and I'm so glad they are my new "babies". :rbheart:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You sound like you and they are going to have a wonderful time as time goes on, and my fondest wish/hope is you have a long life together of love and joy!!
:purr: :gingercat:

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All perfectly normal. Sounds like you are doing right. give them routine, consistently. build their confidence, their trust. Move slow, no sudden loud noises. Something will click and a few months from now you will wonder what has happened to your world. Enjoy the passive Siamese whilst you can, pretty soon they will be in charge of your life. Siamese are awesome :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would leave the carrier out and throw treats in there, replacing at least once a day. Hopefully in a day or two they come get them even if you are in the room. Many of us have to do this with our older cats, because they learn to recognize the carrier, or at least to associate it with bad stuff. So we have to leave it out, generally overnight is enough for me, and then throw the treats in to lure them in. Bringing the carrier out 10 minutes before you want to leave for the vet can turn into a total disaster with cats of any age, even ones that normally like you a ton.

Hopefully you have one of those big two cat carriers. Just a lot easier, even for folks that only have one cat. I find that with the one cat carriers, they stick their face or paws in, get the treat, and don't go all the way in. So its not the greatest with reluctant cats.