Show as Pure or Household Pet?

coco maui

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sasha is a purebred bengal kitten of 4 months. I plan to enter him in his first show next month. My question is...if he is a purebred kitten with papers is he eligible to be shown in the household pet division or does he have to be shown in the purebred's ring?

Thanks,
I will probably be back to thei forum often in preparation for his first show.

Oh and, do ya'll think that I should take him to hif first show as "exibition only" to get a fell for his readiness?

Ginger

cathyg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He would be eligible to be shown in the HHP class, but if he is a purebred Bengal with papers I would show him in the purebred kitten class
Go for it!

From whom did you purchase your Sasha? Was he sold to you as show quality? If not, I would call the breeder and ask them their opinion on his show potential. They will give you an honest evaluation, and (ideally) may even ask you to come along with them to a show so they can show you the ropes.

All that said, showing is always a lot of fun! It is always a good learning experience going to a cat show and talking to other exhibitors and seeing the various cats exhibited. Sasha may surprise you with how much fun he has! The vendors also have lots of unique items and it's easy to go through some money buying cute cat stuff!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coco maui

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got him from an exotic pet store (I know, not the best place to buy a kitten, but we did

I am going to get his papers from him today so I will know exactly how he was registered. The papers should say wheter or not he was sold as show or pet quality right?
I didn't get him with the intentions of showing him but I thought it would be a really fun thing to do. There is a show May 3rd n Boca Raton Florida (10 min. from my house). This should be a good show to start at since it is so close to my house. And, he will be 5 months old at the time.
Maybe I will take him as exebition only to the show to see how he does.

Ginger

gurlpower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i agree with Cathy totally - go for it!! It would be great to be entered in the pure bred division!

Happy showing!!

Cheers!

p.s. i learned a lot about cat care from other exhibitors!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coco maui

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! After researching today I found out that he is not eligable for the show that is close to my house next month. The CFA does not recognize Bengals as a breed!!! Shoot!

I will however be able to take him to Tampa FL in June for a show there. So not all is lost.

Thanks for your help!

Ginger