Should We Go To The Vet

tmwick10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My furry boy Bradley was fine last night. This morning he woke up and got sick. He barely ate, and keeps acting like he has to poop. I took him to his litter box and he pooped a small amount. Should we go to the vet for a possible upset stomach? My mom also caught him eating carpet strainds from his cat house yesterday.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has carpet strands wrapped around inside his intestines, it could definitely cause the symptoms you are seeing. I would definitely take him to the vet for an x-ray, (much less expensive than a CT scan) the 'trying to poop' is very concerning. Any kind of string, floss, ribbon, etc. once it gets on a cat's rough tongue, only goes one way, down. Cat proof your house to prevent future episodes. Please keep us posted on how he is doing!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you got the vet visit. Hopefully everything is fine, but i would also want him checked, in case of blockage.
Let us know what you find out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tmwick10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Kitty is sicker than we thought. He has crystals developing and needs a cath. He also is being checked for a blockage. The crystals have caused a bad infection this making him sick.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update: Kitty is sicker than we thought. He has crystals developing and needs a cath. He also is being checked for a blockage. The crystals have caused a bad infection this making him sick.
That is not good news, but it is good you took him in now and he is getting the help he needs. Thoughts and prayers with you through his recovery and treatment :vibes:Please keep us updated as things happen and let us know if you have questions or need support.

Here are some threads that may help out:
Urinary Blockage Recovery Questions
Post Catheterization Expectations
Just Had To Leave My Poor Boy Oscar Overnight At The Vet (urinary Blockage)
Cat With Crystals!
Crystals & Diet Questions
Bladder Crystals - Food Question

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, poor baby! I'm so glad you got him in when you did; crystals can be very bad in male cats.

Margret

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry he is going through this! Hopefully he will be better soon. keep us updated on his condition!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure his food has no fish in it; sea water is high in the minerals that cause urinary crystals.

Margret

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update: Bradley has both a kidney stone and crystals. He had his procedure and is recovering.No GI blocking or other stomach issues. He also will now need a new brand of food.
:cheerleader::heartshape: It’s so wonderful when procedures go good and he had no other issues.

Did your vet give you any diet suggestions? While I am generally against prescription diets, for a cat with crystals they are good. So if the vet is prescribing a diet, I’d follow it for a few months to ensure the crystals are gone before trying anything else. Once the crystals have been reduced I know hydration is key.

tmwick10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update: Bradley got blocked up again overnight. He had another cath done this morning. He is resting and awake. The hospital said is going potty and urine is come out into the bag. We may get to go and visit tonight.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you get to visit, ask your vet if you can bring a towel or blanket from home (just make sure it is one that you don't mind losing should someone mix it in with their towels or it gets lost). When my boy was hospitalized he seemed to get comfort from having his favorite stuffed animal and a towel from home for his kennel. My boy was in the bottom kennel so I was able to sit on the floor and he curled up in my lap during my visits.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get to visit, ask your vet if you can bring a towel or blanket from home (just make sure it is one that you don't mind losing should someone mix it in with their towels or it gets lost). When my boy was hospitalized he seemed to get comfort from having his favorite stuffed animal and a towel from home for his kennel. My boy was in the bottom kennel so I was able to sit on the floor and he curled up in my lap during my visits.
Anything that smells of home, or especially of you, will be comforting to a cat who's in the hospital. A stinky tee shirt is ideal. I have some old World Wrestling Federation tee shirts that Roger gave me decades ago (because they were my size, not because I like professional wrestling, which I don't) that I'll wear for a day or two just to have something smelly for the cat. If one is lost, well, it's not like it's my favorite tie-dye or something.

Margret

tmwick10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Bradley is now home and resting. He is now on a special diet. We have to watch his litter box for a few days. He is using the litter box when he can and is on bladder and pain medications. We are glad to have our boy home.