Should I Still Be Hoping My Missing Cat Will Come Home?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan,

I hope you hear good news when you have your next animal communication session.  I am saying nightly prayers for all of our missing and wandering cats.

I put out another winter shelter in case Patches comes back and he doesn't want to go into the other shelter with Shadow and Stellar.  Who knows when or if he will come back again.

Stellar was gone for about 18 hours the other day.  When he came back he wanted to come inside with Shadow for bit.  I had a long talk with him.  I told him that I understood he had jobs to do, but I hoped he considered this home base.  I told him that he is so loved both by the human family and most especially by Shadow.  I told him there is always work to be done here!!  One of his jobs was to energetically keep other cats out of my yard.  I was feeling overwhelmed and needed to focus on the brood I already have.  Since June there have been not one new cat.  Yesterday morning, Stellar left for a bit.  I looked out to check on Shadow and in the feeding station was a strange cat just chowing down.  My neighbors cats never come on the deck.  I have no idea where this cat came from.  The weather was awful, cold and snowy so my guess is another stray??  When Stellar came back, I told him that his work here was definitely not done!!!

Let us know after your next animal communication session.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
So, I finally got an e-mail from the animal communicator, the same person that told me George was living with an old man who was caring for him.

She now tells me George is dead.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't give up Norachan. George might not be dead. You know I had a male cat. He was few days old when I found him and he used to live with me since then. But one day he disappeared and didn't returned. Like your case many months passed. I too searched him everywhere but couldn't find him..And as time passed I lost hope and presumed him to be dead as I thought how could he survive? And as years passed by I got many other cats in between and after 5 years you would not believe...after 5 long years one day early morning I got up from bed and went to my lobby of the house to switch off the lights and what I saw that some cat was peeping from behind the outer wall. I again switched on the light and I saw that this cat had black face but his eyes were shining. We stared at each other for few minutes and he meowed and I too replied back and then he cried and came in front of me behind the wall and lo what I saw was my nonnie and when I called his name he called back and came running to me and hugged me so tightly. His face had blackened due to dust and smoke. And we both cried so much..I couldn't believe that he was alive and hale and hearty. I gave him food and he stayed for a day with me smelling all his toys that I had kept safely and he again went outside to fulfil his wanderlust..Now he is an adult male cat and comes to meet me whenever he wishes. This is a pic of my Nonnie sleeping...

So believe me your George will return too...I am praying and I know you will get the good news soon.

Keep the faith...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you Winkie,

That's exactly the kind of story I needed to hear.

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Norachan, please don't let that get you down. Don't stop believing that he will come back. Do you feel like he's dead? I think there's a bond between pets and their owners. I may be wrong, but I think you would feel it if he was gone. Animal communicators aren't always 100% right. Please hang in there. Sending hugs and prayers to you.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh No!  Please please please don't give up.  When Patches first went missing in 2012 I called an animal communicator I had been using for a few years.  She told me that Patches was dead.  He had been hit by a car.  I was devastated.  Yet, my gut told me he was still alive.  I posted fliers everywhere.  I had a few calls of those who had seen him in the area, but nothing recently.  I just held out hope.  I contacted a new animal communicator about 3 months later.  She told me Patches had been hit by a car, but that he wasn't dead, just very sore and bruised.  He came home about a month later. 

Please George, set your Mama at ease and come home.  There is always always always hope. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Roxie and Shadow's Rescue, thank you so much for your support.

You know, I really don't feel like George is dead. I've tried saying it out loud to myself but I can never say it with any conviction. It always comes out sounding like a question, whereas when I lost cats previously I knew, within a few hours of them going missing, that they were dead. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I feel I would know if he really were dead. As you said Roxie, we have a special bond with our pets and George was really special to me, more so than any other cat I've known.

I've heard such good things about this animal communicator, but a lot of what she told me this time sounded really "off". She told me a few months ago that George was being taken care of, but then she told me had died "peacefully". I don't understand how a young healthy cat could die peacefully if someone was taking care of him. Violently maybe, but not peacefully.

Also she told me that he was now with an orange cat and a snowy white cat that I knew well. My family have always had cats and in the past five years I've been involved with a lot of strays, but no orange cats and no snowy white ones. I called my Mum to ask her about it and she said that even before I was born our cats were mainly sold black (because that's what my Dad loves) of tabby or black and white. I can't think of any orange cats or white cats that George could be with.

So maybe Ellen has got her psychic wires crossed this time.

I'm going to have to think about what direction my search will take from now on.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is how I felt when I was told Patches was dead.  I just knew in my heart that he wasn't dead.  He also kept appearing to me in my dreams and it was always the same thing.  He would come walking through the yard onto the deck and look inside the sliding glass door.  It was as though he was telling me that he would some day come walking back into my yard and come and sit and wait for food just as before. 

When I was searching for Patches, I had many people tell me stories of cats that were gone for a year or longer and suddenly reappeared.  Patches was gone 8 months this time. 

I know you have posted fliers around your town, but have you taken out an ad in the newspaper?  I also heard of someone who did a mailing to all of the people in her small community. 

I am hoping for a Christmas miracle for you.  I think you will know in your heart when he has truly passed on or he will find a way to let you know. 

I wish you peace in this struggle and I hope and pray for George's safe return.  You are in my thoughts.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Shadows Rescue.

I put an ad in the local paper once, but it was very expensive and I didn't get any response. You've just reminded me though, the local TV channel have a Lost Pets spot.

George was on there for the first three months he was missing (Which cost the same as one newspaper ad) I should put a different picture of him on there and try again for another three months. It's really cold now, so he might start hanging around people and begging for food.

The kitty buffet and trail camera hasn't had much success. If I put it a few minutes walk from the house the strays I feed find it and gobble it all down within an hour, if I put it further away nothing goes near it and the food is all frozen in the bowls when I go back to check.

Wonder if I should try the other colony that's about half a mile from here again?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you have a few more ideas.  It couldn't hurt to give them all a try.  Maybe there are some other colony care takers who might have seen him.  I wonder if it is possible that he is lost.  When I spoke to the animal communicator she told me that Patches was quite hungry, stiff from an old injury and because of lack of food he was disoriented.  He was having a hard time finding his way back.  Maybe George is lost too? 

luvnickles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear that George and Patches have still not come home.  But I agree with everyone here....don't give up hope.  I have befriended a lady in town whose Siamese has also gone missing and around the same time as Kuzon so we have been supporting each other.  She says that she is a psychic and feels strongly that Kuzon is alive.  Of course that is what I want to hear so I hold onto that with everything I have.  A psychic friend of hers told her that both our cats were alive and that Kuzon in particular would be home yesterday.  That didn't happen, and I wasn't really expecting that he would...the danger of listening to these well meaning people is that we give up, because we've been told they are gone or slow down our search because we've been told they'll be home at such and such a time.   I can't stress enough that you must believe in the psychic connection you have with your cat.  You don't feel George is dead.  Furthermore, you have no evidence of it.  There is every reason to believe he is alive so keep posting flyers.  Please do check with the other feral colony, especially if someone is feeding them regularly.  Cats smell each others butts to see what kind of food they are getting and will congregate with the animals that are feeding well.  The other thing to do is to put out really stinky food - mackerel, tuna, anchovies and even if the feral cats are the ones who get it, they will attract other cats by the smell of their butt.  Also, I know that people say these missing cats are often found close by, but you live out in the country, right?  Seems to me that it would be much harder for George to become lost so close - it isn't as if there are lots of homes and back yards by which he would become disoriented.  I would move the search further out...a mile or more if you can.   But mostly i really want you to keep the faith!   I keep running into people who have amazing stories like the one Winkie told, of cats who find their way home after months and years and across many many miles.  These aren't one off stories either...I hear them ALL THE TIME.  And I feel Kuzon is out there.  You feel George and Shadows Rescue feels Patches.   I don't believe we are wrong!!!  Merry Christmas everyone!  Sending lots of prayers out for George, Patches, Kuzon and Simon the Siamese too and all the other missing and loved pets.  They all need to get home!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure Patches will ever come home to stay.  He has showed up on my deck 4x since Nov 21.  I started to leave dry food out on a tall table ( to keep the racoons out).  He knows there is food inside from previous winters.  I have seen him inside the food house 3x so he knows of the food.  Last visit was last Wednesday and he actually went into the shelter but did not stay.  We had a period of 4 days where the temperatures were warm so I did not see him.  This morning it is 11 degrees outside and a bit of snow.  He did not come last night.  He knows I am here with food, shelter and love, but chooses to live on his own.  It makes me so very sad and of course the worry never ends.  Yet I have no remember that I have done all I can for him.  He may choose to come when it's very cold or maybe he has found another source.  I am just happy to know for now that he is alive. 

All of our missing cats are in my thoughts and prayers daily.  Merry Christmas to all.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

It sounds like you have a few more ideas.  It couldn't hurt to give them all a try.  Maybe there are some other colony care takers who might have seen him.  I wonder if it is possible that he is lost.  When I spoke to the animal communicator she told me that Patches was quite hungry, stiff from an old injury and because of lack of food he was disoriented.  He was having a hard time finding his way back.  Maybe George is lost too? 
 My theory on what happened to George is that he went out as usual, got chased or scared by something and ran out of his familiar territory. I know male cats wander a lot, especially those that go out at night, so I think he must be a couple of miles from here. Luckily, because of the geography of this area (big lake in one direction, built up area then steep cliffs in the other) he could only have gone in the other two directions which would have taken him into more rural areas. I think he must have gone either West or North so I've been searching mainly in those two areas.

The other thing that could have happened is that someone took him in.

Anyway, I called the local TV station again today and George is going to be on the Lost Pet spot for another 3 months from January. That will take me up to about the time he will have been missing for a year. Hope I hear something before then. Also, started putting out food and my camera in a likely looking cat haunt about half a mile from here. I had it there for a couple of weeks in the summer and there were lots of cats around, it will be interesting to see if the same ones are still there.

Please do check with the other feral colony, especially if someone is feeding them regularly.  Cats smell each others butts to see what kind of food they are getting and will congregate with the animals that are feeding well.  The other thing to do is to put out really stinky food - mackerel, tuna, anchovies and even if the feral cats are the ones who get it, they will attract other cats by the smell of their butt. 

Wow, I never knew that! I wondered why every stray in the neighbourhood managed to find it's way to my house. I thought maybe my cats wandered around handing out invites; "Free food and all the catnip you can snort at our place"

Also, I know that people say these missing cats are often found close by, but you live out in the country, right?  Seems to me that it would be much harder for George to become lost so close - it isn't as if there are lots of homes and back yards by which he would become disoriented.  I would move the search further out...a mile or more if you can.   But mostly i really want you to keep the faith!   I keep running into people who have amazing stories like the one Winkie told, of cats who find their way home after months and years and across many many miles.  These aren't one off stories either...I hear them ALL THE TIME.  And I feel Kuzon is out there.  You feel George and Shadows Rescue feels Patches.   I don't believe we are wrong!!!  Merry Christmas everyone!  Sending lots of prayers out for George, Patches, Kuzon and Simon the Siamese too and all the other missing and loved pets.  They all need to get home!!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if George was less than a mile from here he would have found his way home by now. He used to go out all the time, he knows his way around.

Are you still leaving out food and a trail camera for Kuzon? How do you keep the food from freezing?

Thanks for the prayers and the information.

samantha peter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
O my.... I feel your pain Norachan.. :( :( :(

Let us just be positive... Maybe George is living with a new family now and he is happy with them...

Be strong ya...

samantha peter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Winkie & Norachan,

Ya, I just remember a story of my friend... Her cat went missing and came back after almost 2 years...! Well, until now, she really has no idea where her cat been for almost 2 years...

Another story of my friend, his cat went missing and after 6 months the cat came back bringing his wife and kittens... true story!

So have faith Norachan... I pray that George will be back to you sooner or later... :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Norachan! I hope you had a good Christmas. I'm glad you got the spot on television. Maybe somebody will recognize him. I wondered why all the strays showed up at my house too. I was sure there was a sign up somewhere telling them there was good food and lots of love here. Now I know why they come here! Keep the faith. Still praying for George and all the other lost or missing kitties.

luvnickles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have turned the camera back over to the Friends of Ferals group that lent it to me originally.  I have not had any luck with it in the area I had been looking and have no idea where to look next, so am not feeding either.   If I ever get a sighting I can get the camera back but the only tips I get are cases of mistaken identity.  I've pushed the posters out a bit further but no luck. 

It isn't terribly cold here - some freezing nights, but mostly it stays above freezing and is quite warm during the day so if I did have food out, I wouldn't be worried about it freezing.  I can't think of how to combat that on your end...of course kibble shouldn't freeze.  I wonder if you can keep the frost away from "wet" food by covering it somehow...the way we do with plants.  Can you set up some small tent like contraption?

A local family just put an ad in craigslist lost and found thanking people for helping them with their cat.  It was found and returned after 7 months - only a couple of miles away from me!  Another success story.

ShadowsRescue,

I know that Patches comes around but it must be heartbreaking that he won't stay - especially since you provide such a loving home for your companions.  I suppose it is something that you know he is alive and able to get food...I would love to know Kuzon is safe!  Still, I am praying that George and Patches and Kuzon and all lost cats from loving homes, make their way back to us.  I don't think we will ever quite get over it if they don't!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To keep my wet food from freezing for a few hours, I have been using the microwave heat discs and placing them under the bowls.  I wonder if you could also the heat/freeze packs that you put in the microwave.  I have a set that came with a pyrex travel and go casserole dish.  They get really hot so you would need to wrap them in a towel.  When it has been as cold as 8 degrees here in the morning, I place the wet food on the heat disc and it stays unfroze for about 4 hours.  It's better than taking it out and it freezing within 30 minutes. 

When Patches went missing the first time, I put up fliers around my area as well as distributing them to area vets and pet stores.  I did get a few calls.  I also gave one to the Humane Society. 

The temperatures here have been up and down.  It was warm for awhile and then cold again and now near 40 again.  Patches hasn't been here in a week.  I just don't understand him. 

LuvNickles, have you tried contacting an animal communicator?  I know it's not for everyone, but I have had some really good insight from the one I use.  Her thoughts on Patches have been spot on.  I did use another lady for awhile, but she told me Patches was dead and I knew in my heart he wasn't.  There are some communicators out there that specialize in lost pets. 

luvnickles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ShadowsRescue - brilliant idea about the warming disks and heating packs!  I hope Norachan can use them.

I haven't used an animal communicator, but a psychic friend told me she felt he was fairly nearby with a sore right paw.  She also used a psychic on my behalf who confirmed her feeling and went one better....telling her that Kuzon was within 3 blocks and would be home in 9 days.  That was was two weeks ago.  When he didn't turn up, she updated her opinion - now she feels someone is caring for Kuzon and doesn't realize he is lost.   

Needless to say i am a little wary of psychics - I am sure there are good ones out there, i just don't know how to find them.

Does Patches have a way to get into the house at night if he wants?    I know it is frustrating but he clearly is making a choice.  I hope you can take some comfort in the fact that you are doing everything possible to encourage him to stay.  There must be something wild and instinctual driving him.  But don't lose hope.  After he has got whatever it is driving him out of his system, he may well come back to stay.  I sure hope so anyway!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions. LuvNickles, I'm sorry to hear you still haven't had a positive sighting of Kuzon yet. George has a lookalike too, a female tabby that even has the same short tail he has. I've caught her on camera a few times and always had a few seconds of "That's him!" until she turns round and I see that the white pattern on her face is different.

It's so frustrating not knowing which direction to search in, isn't it? I hear a story the other day of a cat that was found 15 miles from home. It's impossible to do such a thorough search of that wide an area by yourself. I just have to hope that someone spots one of the posters or sees his picture on TV and calls.

I'm also a little sceptical of psychics. I think if they give you some news which encourages you to keep searching then they're good, but otherwise you shouldn't take what they say too seriously.

I'm so jealous of your relatively mild weather. It's only 6 pm here and it's already well below freezing. I've just been out to put some dishes of food and the camera down and almost slipped on the ice several times.

ShadowsRescue, thanks for the food warming ideas. I actually found a gadget that my husband uses when he goes climbing, a disk shaped metal flask that I've filled with boiling water then put the food in a metal dish on top of it. It stops the food from freezing, but it's still not attracting any new cats. Maybe in the winter things don't smell as strong? I get all the strays I feed coming to eat if I put the food anywhere around here, but nothing if I put it more than half a mile away.

I think I'm going to wait until after the New Year and try some other places. Strays seem to hang around the shrines and temples, but they always get very busy over the New Year and that might be scaring the cats away.

Hope Patches, Kuzon and George have found themselves somewhere warm to curl up tonight.