Should I separate very skinny kitten from mom?

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fostering a first-time mom with three kittens, they are almost three weeks old. However, the runt of the litter is running very behind in turns of growth compared to the other two and is only about 150 grams. He does not latch very well and the other siblings will push him off as he's feeding. He screams at the mom (who doesn't really care) and shakes, trembles violently. I have been giving him an extra 20-30 ml of kitten formula everyday but it's very difficult to feed the kitten without the mom taking him away again. I might attach pictures in comparison between littermates later.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm fostering a first-time mom with three kittens, they are almost three weeks old. However, the runt of the litter is running very behind in turns of growth compared to the other two and is only about 150 grams. He does not latch very well and the other siblings will push him off as he's feeding. He screams at the mom (who doesn't really care) and shakes, trembles violently. I have been giving him an extra 20-30 ml of kitten formula everyday but it's very difficult to feed the kitten without the mom taking him away again. I might attach pictures in comparison between littermates later.
Yes. I think if you cant combine momma and supplementing, it may be best you take charge in 99%.

Unless you can give them 2 different sessions, alike is done with big litters. Half on, half off.

A kitten of 150g should have as minimum 8x5 milliliters of kmr or goats milk.... More if the kitten manages, but 40ml is a minimum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten can only manage about 5 ml each feeding but doesn't mind eating 45-60 mins after. My only concern is that I might stress the mom cat out if I just take him.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten can only manage about 5 ml each feeding but doesn't mind eating 45-60 mins after. My only concern is that I might stress the mom cat out if I just take him.
As he manages to eat already one hour after, please do so. Its a common advice for weak kittens; not so much at a time, but more often; even into down every hour...

With moms... Often it helps you do it openly before here. So she sees its no danger, and the kitten isnt complaining... When you weigh the kitten be sure there is some cloth on the scale, so the kitten wont get cold and complain...
Also good you are very friendly with momma; it strenghes her trust in you...

But if it doesnt work, or you find some working solution; yes, you must take over, because the kitten wont manage this much longer being half starvated this long time.