Should I put my cat to sleep because of aggression issues? (LONG)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even with dogs, using a shock collar for aggression issues is EXTREMELY risky, the risk being that if the timing is off at all, by even a fraction of a second, the animal will not associate their behavior with the shock, and will instead believe that the object of their aggression is causing the shock, causing them to aggress more. . .etc. I would not recommend a shock collar in this situation at all.

I have a cat who lives alone in the bedroom because she hates all the other cats and all people (she tolerates me but barely). She seems happy and unstressed. I think confinement could be a valid option.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah... I honestly wouldn't use a painful shock at all, just a distracting and unpleasant one. Using pain to teach anything is counterproductive. And remember a cat is smaller than you, so that would mean that you should dial it down past what you consider annoying.

Then there's the problem of redirected aggression. If the cat is zapped by a shock, she may get angry and defensive and just attack whatever's nearby. So that'd be the exact opposite.

Extreme solutions are not always more effective. In this case, I'd say they probably aren't.

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand what you are going through and I sympathize with you. This will not be an easy decision to make. It sounds like the cat will not be able to be placed anywhere else, and you dont want to give up your other animals either. I cant imagine that even if she did get in a shelter that she wouldnt be put to sleep because of her aggresiveness. I wouldnt want her attacking people who come over either. I hope whatever you do you find peace with your decision.

meowsersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the shock collar not being a good idea. I used one on my dog once and he cried and was so terrified he clung to me shaking and shivering. I felt terrible and just use a spray water bottle now. He hates water and runs at the sight of it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

In my opinion, rehoming the dog, no matter how hard that is on you, is the only right thing to do under the circumstances. Your cat, the cat you are "mom" to, deserves to live her life.

Robin
I didn't understand when I read the first post why this wasn't an option?

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the OP were moving to an apartment with the room for the cat, I'd say, just do what she's been doing. However, she is downsizing to a studio. If it's a studio, it's only one room. Nobody can come over to the house with the cat in the same room. I can't imagine this is an easy decision she has to make. Maybe one of those HUGE cat cages with the shelves and stuff, this way when someone comes over, the cat is in the cage, maybe covered with a sheet so she's not stressed by company? If you get the kind of cage with the slip in bowls like a bird cage has, someone can feed the cat, without being mauled.

I don't think a shock collar for a cat is a good idea, since cats nervous systems are hypersensitive. I cannot imagine an animal that jumps when a door is slammed, reacting well to an actual shock.

I'm so sorry you're going through this, I hope whatever your decision is, you can find peace in the fact that you did what was right for both you and the kitty.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Skimming ahead, but what about drugs as an alternative? If its a powder that can be mixed in to wet food or a pill pocket and doesn't cost a fortune, then it might not be that bad an option.

When I have workers come over, I also toss Wesley and Buttercup over the tall baby-gate I installed in the game room (which was also their initial safe room and has a tree, window, and litterbox in the closet). There are free standing corner-gate systems that are obviously smaller but don't even need a separate room.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I totally disagree that you should rehome your dog. It sounds like you've tried very hard to integrate the two. I would base your decision on your cats quality of life. If she's more often content than not, still enjoying her food and her lovin, then it's a pretty good life. Can you perhaps let her out of the bedroom when your dog is outside or maybe put him in a room with a bone while you let her have a hour to walk about the house?
There are lots of cats who live in small apartments. Buy her a cat tree, put a bird feeder outside your window and she'll have hours of entertainment!
In the end, the decision is yours and it's a tough one. No one should judge.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Levi68

I totally disagree that you should rehome your dog. It sounds like you've tried very hard to integrate the two. I would base your decision on your cats quality of life. If she's more often content than not, still enjoying her food and her lovin, then it's a pretty good life. Can you perhaps let her out of the bedroom when your dog is outside or maybe put him in a room with a bone while you let her have a hour to walk about the house?
There are lots of cats who live in small apartments. Buy her a cat tree, put a bird feeder outside your window and she'll have hours of entertainment!
In the end, the decision is yours and it's a tough one. No one should judge.
She is moving to a single/studio.... There are no bedrooms in such apartments....

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahhh...that IS a problem. I thought you'd at least have your bedroom.
I don't see your have an option. If you keep her, are you going to protect everyone that comes to visit you? Will they even bother to visit? Your cat should not be ruling your life to a point where you have to re home your dog and family and friends are frightened to visit you.
What if you became ill and were hospitalized? Who would dare enter your apartment to care for her?
A heart wrenching decision ... I'm lost at what options that are left for you.
Rather than being a prisoner in my own home, I would probably euthanize and then go to my local humane society and rescue one the of the millions of lovable kitties that are waiting. One that liked dogs!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ahhh...that IS a problem.
Yep yep - I agree with you.... I have an aggressive cat too, as do quite a few of us here at TCS.... Mine is separated in a "room". She is totally fine with me, but not with the kitties - It works for all of us...
But in a studio, that is impossible...
Since relocating the dog keeps the dog AND the cat alive - and the cat and momma have a wonderful relationship.... And the dog is fine in another home as it is not aggressive.... I find that a very much plausible solution

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Yep yep - I agree with you.... I have an aggressive cat too, as do quite a few of us here at TCS.... Mine is separated in a "room". She is totally fine with me, but not with the kitties - It works for all of us...
But in a studio, that is impossible...
Since relocating the dog keeps the dog AND the cat alive - and the cat and momma have a wonderful relationship.... And the dog is fine in another home as it is not aggressive.... I find that a very much plausible solution
It "sounds" like a great idea. But I will tell you...I would never give one of my dogs away if it came to the same situation. It depends on the OP. Perhaps she'd be okay with it? And perhaps it is out of the question. Some people have very strong bonds with there dogs. They are like their children.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It "sounds" like a great idea. But I will tell you...I would never give one of my dogs away if it came to the same situation. It depends on the OP. Perhaps she'd be okay with it? And perhaps it is out of the question. Some people have very strong bonds with there dogs. They are like their children.
You know... it is very interesting to me why when it comes in between a dog and a cat, a dog is a kid, but a cat can be put to sleep?

The cat came well first...
To me, my cats ARE my children... The dog would go to her dad's home - not to some stranger's home....
Why is it that cats seem to just come second - get rid of the cat, put the cat to sleep, stronger bond with the dog, more vet care to the dogs....

I do not get it.... obviously do not agree with it...... Especially when it comes to saving a kitty's life who has been with momma since kittenhood and is perfectly content with her. She has no problems with the kitty....
Get a large crate when someone comes to visit - or, go to the person's home.... Have a compromise... But the fact is, the dog can be rehomed, the cat will be killed if she does so. IMHO both are her furkids equally, and the kitty came first......

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has Xanax and Valium been tried? If not I would try both at different doses. I know a girl whose cat is very similar although she does get along with her two cat mates sometimes but attacks out of the blue. Valium worked for her. Heck, it even works on crazy aggressive humans

I take it that finding a different apartment isn't an option? Or staying with your dad until you find one. That would be the first option I would look into. Maybe even rent a room in an apartment where the cat can live in the room and the dog in the rest of the house. That should be about the same cost as a studio. It shouldn't be too hard to convince someone to have a little cute 14 pounder running around.

I don't envy your situation. What a nightmare.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me I would rehome the dog not the cat. It sounds very obvious that the cat is yours and she trusts you. Maybe she views the dog as a threat to you and attacks for that reason or views the dog as a threat to her relationship with you.

I would seriously research other solutions and talk to your vet before jumping straight to putting her to sleep. That just sounds wrong to be but Im the type where the cat would have to be literally dying for me to put it to sleep.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

You know... it is very interesting to me why when it comes in between a dog and a cat, a dog is a kid, but a cat can be put to sleep?

The cat came well first...
To me, my cats ARE my children... The dog would go to her dad's home - not to some stranger's home....
Why is it that cats seem to just come second - get rid of the cat, put the cat to sleep, stronger bond with the dog, more vet care to the dogs....

I do not get it.... obviously do not agree with it...... Especially when it comes to saving a kitty's life who has been with momma since kittenhood and is perfectly content with her. She has no problems with the kitty....
Get a large crate when someone comes to visit - or, go to the person's home.... Have a compromise... But the fact is, the dog can be rehomed, the cat will be killed if she does so. IMHO both are her furkids equally, and the kitty came first......
*sigh* Of course some people view their cats as children as well. I didn't imply otherwise. The OP needs to make a decision that she can live with. If she's okay with having her dog rehomed than great. However, if that was such an easy choice, she wouldn't be on here asking us for opinions. And she DOES have problems with the cat...
It's not that I think the dog is more important than the cat but this whole situation affects HER life. The cat is making a negative impact on her life. To what degree...that's for only the OP to say. She obviously loves the cat but no one should be kept hostage by their own animal.
I really hope she can make it work. Crating the dog is a great compromise.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you a lot of you guys are cat lovers, and don't like dogs as much. That being said, I don't think the dog should be rehomed any more than the cat. I'm sure she loves them both just as much. The problem is, the cat and dog used to get along just fine, but were apart for a while. To the OP, I know the dog was living with your parents. Would it work for the dog to continue living with them?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

*sigh* Of course some people view their cats as children as well. I didn't imply otherwise. The OP needs to make a decision that she can live with. If she's okay with having her dog rehomed than great. However, if that was such an easy choice, she wouldn't be on here asking us for opinions. Is is an easy solution to put her cat to sleep? And she DOES have problems with the cat... Nto when the cat is with her - she says the cat is perfectly sweet.... no problems whatsoever.
It's not that I think the dog is more important than the cat but this whole situation affects HER life. The cat is making a negative impact on her life. To what degree...that's for only the OP to say. She obviously loves the cat but no one should be kept hostage by their own animal. My pets affect my life too.... It took me years to afford to go on vacations... I compromise on everything because of them - even on buying clothes, food, everything. Traveling.... God knows - that comes with pet ownership - they are not machines..... Things happen where we need to compromise - perfect example there.
I really hope she can make it work. Crating the dog is a great compromise.
Originally Posted by catbehaviors

I know you a lot of you guys are cat lovers, and don't like dogs as much. Nobody is saying this.... What we are saying is that cats don't need to be behind dogs - but on the same level. The cat here used to live with her... first... If she takes the dog to her parents home, both can be saved - (one doesn't need to be killed). We are trying to give a compromise that will save a life here. We are not saying that the op loves the dog less than the cat and should be tossed in a shelter. Nobody said this. This is her father we are talking about. That being said, I don't think the dog should be rehomed any more than the cat. I'm sure she loves them both just as much. The problem is, the cat and dog used to get along just fine, but were apart for a while. To the OP, I know the dog was living with your parents. There you go.... That's my point right here... That's the "re-home" I am talking about Would it work for the dog to continue living with them?