Should I put my cat to sleep because of aggression issues? (LONG)

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you thought of getting a high cat tree?

In our small room, our 80' cat tree is wedged in a corner and it offers a safe "overseeing" spot for my cats to go when a child or something is over to visit. Perhaps what your kitty needs is a place not to feel threatened? 

I don't think you should re-home either. You just need to slooooooooooooowly make her accept that you and your dog are part of her pack. Keep doing what you are doing with reintroductions but don't give up!! 
The Original Poster has not made a post since Dec, 2011. Any decision made was almost 2 years ago.

jezebel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@Cheshire27, With you, I share the violently aggressive cat problem mentioned by the OP in this thread and will be posting again tomorrow since it's after midnight here and I just finished reading the whole discussion, joined the group and need to sleep on it before replying.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Cheshire27, With you, I share the violently aggressive cat problem mentioned by the OP in this thread and will be posting again tomorrow since it's after midnight here and I just finished reading the whole discussion, joined the group and need to sleep on it before replying.
Welcome to TCS. When you do post about your cat problem, please start a new thread. That will give you the greatest exposure and more people responding.

shortredhead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read your message and all the replies. I have to say, this is so very, very familiar. I also have a little Pomeranian (my service dog) and an aggressive cat. I saved him from a flood 9 years ago and he has always had spurts of serious aggression. I have dealt with it, isolating the other cats for their safety because to isolate Noah caused him to freak out. He can't stand closed doors. I eventually gave my other cats to family because he was causing them so much harm. I could not re-home him as everyone wanted to put him down because he is so scary. He can be sweet and kind, purring and just fine around me, but then out of the blue, he goes for my face. Last night my Pomeranian (who sleeps with me) coughed...just coughed, no big deal, Noah came running across the room with "that look" that he gets before he has attacked me in the past, and lunged for my face. My Pomeranian jumped between me and Noah, which stopped him. I can't leave Noah alone with my dog. I have put him in a room when I left only to come home and find he had torn up the bottom of the door and his paws trying to get out. He likes his pet taxi so that is an option for when I leave, but here is the problem I have now...besides the fear of falling asleep around the cat...I am moving cross country and am afraid what he will do in the airplane. I am traveling on the road because of hauling belongings but he won't travel by car, he freaks out...so I thought flying. I am back thinking about putting him down instead of flying him out because I am afraid he will harm others. He can't stand other animals and freaks out of he can smell them. I need him to be boarded while I travel, then flown out and I do not think that is going to work well at all. My kids that are currently living with me love him, but they can close their bedroom doors and not have to deal with the night time horrors I go through. I cannot close my door and Noah wakes me up several times a night. Plus the attacking my face and my dog. He has come on the bed with me and my Pomeranian to attack her. I feel for you. I am leaning strongly to putting him down but it is a hard choice because he can be sweet.