Should I Intervene?

violetxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About 4 weeks ago I brought home two shelter cats that were brought in together and look like they may be sisters (approx 1-2yrs old). At home I have a 8 yr old who does well with other cats and has barely ever hissed or growled in her entire life. When they met (we did a slow transition), there was a little bit of hissing and growling from both parties, but now they share the same areas and sleep in the same places. However, what I'm concerned about is that the other two girls will still hiss at my original cat now and again, its mostly just one of them who seems to be more territorial, and will even try and start a smacking feud if my original cat gets too close.

My question: Is there anything I can do to help alleviate this problem? I can tell that my original cat really wants to cuddle and play with them, but she won't get too close because of how they act (hiss and sometimes growl).

At the moment I have been saying "no" after they hiss and have been avoiding eye contact with the hisser, but I don't feel like this is working very well. I have read a lot about teaching your cat using positive reinforcement, but I am not sure how that applies here.

Should I continue to remain involved or is this something they should work out on their own?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually, they will work it out on their own.  I have found that getting on to one usually doesn't work because they feel that it's the others side you are taking.  My Morgan La Fay and Paige occassionally get into little squabbles.  And Paige is passive and smaller so Morgan often feels she has the upper hand.  So I say "Girls.  No."  If Morgan continues I snap my fingers and say "Morgan.  What did I say?"  And she meows cheerfully and backs off.  And Paige resumes her activity. 

Maybe finding a gesture that they know means business might work for you, too.  With me, it's a finger snap.  It isn't too loud or mean and it gets their attention in a positive way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

violetxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! They seem to be doing better. I find when I praise both of them for getting closer to each other or pet them at the same time they seem less likely to hiss or start smacking each other.

I finger snap works well because its not too loud, I also read in another thread that a very light tap on the head (it resembles another cat pawing them on the head) is a way that cats tell each other they mean business so I've used that on the hisser and she looked so confused when I did it and completely backed off my other cat. And I haven't had to do it since.