Should I Give New Kitten Up?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really does look like rough play. And they keep coming back for more, instead of really hiding and secluding. When cats play, it can look and sound horrible to us, but that's because their "play" is all about practicing for hunting and for defending. Your guys are doing nicely, all told.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juju521

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It really does look like rough play. And they keep coming back for more, instead of really hiding and secluding. When cats play, it can look and sound horrible to us, but that's because their "play" is all about practicing for hunting and for defending. Your guys are doing nicely, all told.
It does look pretty bad to me, but I guess that's just what cats do. I'm able to keep them together for about 2-3 hours at this point and the chasing has decreased significantly. Today he got on top of her to try to groom her (The new kitten definitely likes the cat waaaayy more than the cat likes the kitten) and the kitten got a growl, smack, and stare down and he backed down for a while. The kitten is getting better at backing off and the older cat is getting better at ignoring him. Hopefully order will be established soon, so they can co-exist without my supervision.

juju521

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he's not already, it might be time to look into neutering him.

He’s neutered. Although I was slightly concerned a bit with how much he likes to jump on top of her in that position but chalked it up to being a kitten. Hopefully it doesn’t become a bigger issue.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...here's the thing. A neutered tom is actually capable of...erm...performing. The earlier they are neutered, the less likely they are to do it, however. That said, so long as both parties are agreeable to the activity, it is only our sensitivities that are damaged.

juju521

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK...here's the thing. A neutered tom is actually capable of...erm...performing. The earlier they are neutered, the less likely they are to do it, however. That said, so long as both parties are agreeable to the activity, it is only our sensitivities that are damaged.

Wait. What?! They can still do that even if they're neutered?? Would a 3.5 month old do that? He was neutered around 8 weeks. I don't know if I'm prepared for this...lol

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, but those two kittens seem to be playing. An all out cat fight...yikes. What's on those videos is not that. I would continue to let them have time together when supervised. This could be the beginning of a long cat friendship.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wait. What?! They can still do that even if they're neutered?? Would a 3.5 month old do that? He was neutered around 8 weeks. I don't know if I'm prepared for this...lol
At that age, that probably isn't the issue. Even not neutered, that's a wee bit young for it. But yes, they can still do that. Sultans found that out with humans a LONG time ago...some of those eunuchs were perfectly capable. And a human male is far less likely to function than a cat, due to the psychological ramifications of lacking the...erm...bits. If a human can, a cat, who has no clue what those bits actually do, certainly can! Now, some say that it is all dominance, but I've seen neutered toms (gibs) quite happily wait in line for a willing queen. They do not, however, tend to wander the countryside, and are far less likely to fight over the matter.

juju521

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I often read old threads and wonder how things are now or if they've resolved their issue, so giving everyone an update. The new cat introduction is officially over and my 2 cats can now be left alone unsupervised. I've left them alone for about 4-5 hours at a time and will be leaving them alone for a full work day tomorrow. They're still chasing each other and wrestling but it's mutual where my older cat is now initiating too instead of the little one chasing her around. Also caught the resident cat grooming the new kitten (who is almost as big as my resident cat who was the runt of the litter) a couple of times too. Thank you to everyone who encouraged me to keep at it!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this update! I really needed some absurd good news today, and here it is! NICE WORK!