Should I get another kitten?

plouf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello fellow cat people -

This is my first post.. we are a married couple (no kids, work M-F) that adopted a beautiful tuxedo kitten that seems to have an Oriental cat traits this summer. She (Phoebe) is now 13 weeks old and very happy, playful, and a bit bossy. We are wondering if we should get Phoebe a pal to play with while we are away at work, or would she actually be happier being a one-cat family?

Our plan is to introduce Phoebe to the backyard in October (perhaps along with a second kitty) when we are on a break and Phoebe is neutered and her first vaccines are all finished, and show the wonders of a cat door that can be used to go in and out while we are away. There aren't many cats around the neighborhood, just a couple of loud dogs that guard their houses. Perhaps a friend would help to keep her close to home and not wander too far away? Would an older kitten (7 months) be too difficult for the a 3-month old kitten to adjust to? Would a kitten 2 to 4 month kitten work out? We were thinking of getting a second female kitten, since females seem to stick closer to home, but would two females be best?

Your insights into all of this kitten rearing is greatly appreciated!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens really do best in pairs, so getting another kitten would probably be great! They're the easiest to introduce when they're younger, too. It'd be ideal to get a kitten that is closest in age and size to Phoebe so they'd be evenly matched at playtime and one wouldn't be likely to overpower the other if one of them is a bit rough.

I do have to caution you about letting your cats roam freely outside. If they're getting enough attention and enrichment at home, there's no need for them to go outside, where the risks far outweigh any advantages. Predators of some kind exist in every neighborhood. Even the friendliest dog is capable of killing a cat when their prey instinct is triggered. Wild animals like foxes, raccoons, coyotes, and birds of prey also put cats at risk, and cars are probably the biggest danger, especially because cats like to sleep under cars for shade in the summer or curl up under the warm engine in the winter. And owners of outdoor cats are much less likely to notice when their cat is having a health problem, something that could put it at even greater risk outside. And outdoor kittens are pretty much guaranteed to pick up some parasites and diseases because their immune system isn't fully developed. All it takes is for them to walk through a puddle contaminated with a parasite and then lick it off their paws, or catch a mouse with a tapeworm in it, or have an encounter with a sick cat or raccoon, and they're sick as well. Indoor cats have much longer lifespans and better quality of life, so if it's at all possible to keep a cat indoors, it's really preferable. Plus, domestic cats wreak havoc on native populations of prey species (they kill a lot more than they eat or bring home!) If you do want to give your cats some outside time when they're older, you can get a leash and harness or build some sort of catio setup to keep them safe, but I would wait until they are adults because it's still so risky for a kitten.

So sorry for ranting at you a bit, I just want to make sure the dangers for outdoor cats are fully explained. But it does sound like a playmate for little Phoebe would be a great idea!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your idea of another kitten is great, but please don't let either of them outside while you are not there. It's just too dangerous for kitties to be outside alone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plouf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your feedback! I can see how a kitten could be easy targets for all sorts of bad bacteria, worms, and so on - so I may not let my kitten(s) out until they are fully grown, even for a walk in the yard. It's so strange though. As a child, we always had cats, and dogs, (and rabbits, ducks…), but I digress. At any rate, our cats and dogs were always in and out of the house, and never had a problem because they went outside to play, in fact they were happy, healthy pets. It seems the world has more germs these days?

I live on a small street, and there is not a lot of traffic. However, what worries me is that I live very close to a creek. There is a patch of wild open land behind my house, and then the creek just beyond that. I know of a cat that got down to this creek from a neighbor's yard and had a very, very difficult time getting back up the bank, I just want them to stay in the yard where it is safe. I imagine there are all sorts of bad bugs, mice and so on in the open land, and everyone's back yards around here as well. 

I'm torn about a second kitten though, basically because I don't think my spouse is eager to deal with the added responsibilities of and midnight games the kitties would be likely to want to play.

One last thing. This kitten is a bit different from past kittens. She is not a lap kitty, she is sweet and cuddles in bed at night and after naps, but is quick to let us know she wants to be left alone and not be pet. She's happy just to watch the birds or play with her toys. Perhaps a pal wouldn't be the greatest idea for her anyway?

Thanks again for any kitten insights!