Should i get a calico, tortie, tuxedo, tabby or a solid cat?

peterbald love

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am planing to get another cat soon and i can't decide what type of cat i should get, i have a grey tabby.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Forget the colour - go to a shelter and meet some cats...you'll know when you meet your new firkid! :nod: (My family always say that the cats choose the people, not the other way around. ;) )
This is absolutely true. When I adopted Milo from the shelter, it had never occurred to me to choose a ginger tabby but he climbed up my arm and snuggled under my neck. That was it. It was love at first snuggle for both of us and the beginning of 14 wonderful years. Now I am crazy about ginger tabbies. I definitely agree - let the cat choose you!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Forget the colour - go to a shelter and meet some cats...you'll know when you meet your new firkid!
(My family always say that the cats choose the people, not the other way around.
)
Your family is correct. I went to the shelter to meet Lilith. She and I hit it off immediately. I was told by the woman at the Humane Society that I could ignore Sophie because she was "unfriendly".  It didn't take long for her to come over and introduce herself and I knew I was meant to be hers, too. I went in for 1cat and walked out with 2. Then about a year later I saw Henry's picture on the website of a local shelter and his eyes "spoke " to me. I went to meet him with my DD and he curled up on top of her feet and started nibbling her toes. That nervous, unsocialized cat has turned into a real loverboy. I should have named him Romeo 

Go to a local shelter and see who picks you. Cats are great judges of character and they know who will be the right person for them. When the right cat finds you, he or she will let you know. 

Good luck!!  Post pics when you find each other. 

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will always have a soft spot for calicos.  Nothing wrong with having a preference.  Just be willing to be surprised when you go to get one.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I will always have a soft spot for calicos.  Nothing wrong with having a preference.  Just be willing to be surprised when you go to get one.
That's very true. I prefer black cats (I have 3), gray/blue, calico, tortie, ginger tabbies, non ginger tabbies,  torbies, tuxies, solid white, ......   I guess you'll have to find the right one when you get there. If you listen to me, you'll end up with one of each. 

you can't go wrong color wise. They are all beautiful. 

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Currently I'm obsessed with calico and black cats. I picked my calico out of her litter because I'd had tabbies and spotted cats, but not a calico. She is very feisty, but she's really sweet at bedtime. Calicos are so pretty and you'll never see 2 that look identical. My black cat was found and brought to me as a kitten. He is the sweetest little cat. He's so sweet and adorable I couldn't stand watching this other black cat suffer with injuries in my backyard. I had to take him in too. He is such a sweet lap cat. For some reason black cats have a stupid stigma in the US and have a harder time getting adopted from shelters. Please visit a shelter and see if one picks you.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm all for black cats! One is watching me right now as I type!

ollieoxenfree

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, go to the shelter and see who sparks our fancy! I thought tabbies were boring when we got Oliver but I was SO wrong. Then I got spoiled and didn't want an asymetrical cat, lo and behold, Sansa fell into our lives and we couldn't be happier. They both will not harm our rabbit which is a huge plus and took barely any training. Sansa is a simple cat and amuses us daily with her quirks. Color doesn't matter, as long as you have a place in your heart for loving a little cat. 

Miriette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've always loved calico and tortie kitties and was more drawn to those when I went to the shelter, but then here came this little orange guy rubbing himself all over my feet and I fell in love. Definitely head to a shelter and see which cat fits you best. Maybe you'll end up getting attached to a cat with a color you never even thought about.