Should I Bring My Older Cat With Me When I Move...?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, as she has your parents and other cat at the place leave her - you are young and may move again . I’ve had to flee my home and take Gracie with me - she is only 18 months old and boy has it been difficult. I thought being with me she’s be fine however cats are territorial and her flat was all she knew . I dread having to move her again - I have no choice however you do x hope that helps

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others; it sounds like Oreo is probably best off being left with your family, especially if you can visit her often. I am concerned about her attachment to you, though, and hope that you will be able to visit on a regular basis.

My old cat was 14 when I moved away for university. I was in dorms during first year, so I couldn't bring her with me, and it was too far away for me to go visit. I went home that summer, and found that my cat had become covered in mats and extremely obese. Despite being surrounded by family she had always loved and staying the one cat she ever actually liked, she had isolated herself and became horribly depressed during my absence. Within two weeks of me being back home, she was back to her usual grooming rituals, socializing with the family like she used to, and eating a normal amount. She was completely back to normal quite quickly. But after seeing how she did with me being away for 8 months, I decided to rent an apartment and bring her with me when I went back to school that fall. I couldn't bring the other cat, but the two were never dependant upon each other. PJ did great with that move when she was 15, and then did great with another move when she was 18 (at that point I had to take special measures during the move due to her medical needs, however); as long as she was with me, she was happy. She was happy to see the family when they visited once in a while, but never seemed bothered when they were gone.

So that's my experience....but Ringo complicates things for your particular situation. Considering Ringo's needs as well as Oreo's, I'd say they should be kept together in a familiar place, but Oreo should have the opportunity to see you once in a while. If you need to get her used to not seeing you, I would try to make it as slow of a transition as possible, and maybe try to encourage her to bond more to another family member so that she will have someone else to turn to when you can't be there.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't add much that hasn't already been said. It's great your giving this the amount of consideration that you are. I vote to leave her at home under the circumstances. It sounds like you have options though and nothing is written in stone so I would just keep an open mind and just do what's best for Oreo and Ringo combined. Good luck with this and your new career and welcome to the site!

mysnnygrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The post replies for this question go all the way back to 2016 so I'm hoping you decided to take your kitty with you. Kitties are roamers and though they love their special spots, they prefer their companions even more. We've lugged our babies all the way across the USA and even into Canada with us while my husband was military as well as when he retired from it. No human nor animal wants to be "LEFT BEHIND" for any reason. They automatically feel abandoned. If you don't believe that then look at the ASPCA and Humane Societies commercials or better yet go visit one. They are full of abandoned animals that would have rather been with their owners no matter where they live. Cats are even more sentimental than dogs are. Even pets like rabbits and ferrets that live in cages want their special owners to be with them, and they move all over the house sometimes which for them is like going to another state and taking your home with you. My father was military.. 30 year career and we moved every animal we had. Animals are a part of your family, your lifestyle. They go where you go or why have them? Our friend's dog went to his funeral and said goodbye to him and then watched his owner being put into the grave. Then to the surprise of everyone, he laid down on the dirt next to the coffin in the freshly dug hole and remained there for the rest of the ceremony. Everyday his wife brought the dog to the gravesite and the dog would lay on the grave over the top of his owner. Pets don't care where they live. The new place is a new adventure to explore for them. All they want is there human companions to be there and maybe some of there toys and their bed which is what their human companions take of their own possessions when they move. Do yourself a favor. It's not the place. IT'S THE PEOPLE. Anyone reading this should be moved to take their companions with them. It's like marriage and having a family. You never leave your partner or your kids behind for any reason. You don't give up on them or quit on them or betray them and you don't do it to your pet either. I've had all my animals until they died except one and due to extreme allergies in my special needs grandson when he was born micro-preemie, we had to rehome her. I have lived with that regret for 10 years now... my grandson is still alive and 10 years old and now and he can have pets due to the remarkable medical personnel in America today. I keep current on her all the time but for the new owners sake, I don't go visit her because she would start her grieving process all over again, just like a child who is fostered or adopted out does. I know she is happy in her new forever home and I am so grateful for my grandson who is still alive even though he has had a very rough go of things and is about to have still another surgery. You never leave a pet behind anymore than you would leave your family in the same predicament..... not of you have a heart of love for them. Even if your career has you working a 40 hour week, they can still get your love when you come home and with pets, they would prefer that rather than being abandoned.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The post replies for this question go all the way back to 2016 so I'm hoping you decided to take your kitty with you. Kitties are roamers and though they love their special spots, they prefer their companions even more. We've lugged our babies all the way across the USA and even into Canada with us while my husband was military as well as when he retired from it. No human nor animal wants to be "LEFT BEHIND" for any reason. They automatically feel abandoned. If you don't believe that then look at the ASPCA and Humane Societies commercials or better yet go visit one. They are full of abandoned animals that would have rather been with their owners no matter where they live. Cats are even more sentimental than dogs are. Even pets like rabbits and ferrets that live in cages want their special owners to be with them, and they move all over the house sometimes which for them is like going to another state and taking your home with you. My father was military.. 30 year career and we moved every animal we had. Animals are a part of your family, your lifestyle. They go where you go or why have them? Our friend's dog went to his funeral and said goodbye to him and then watched his owner being put into the grave. Then to the surprise of everyone, he laid down on the dirt next to the coffin in the freshly dug hole and remained there for the rest of the ceremony. Everyday his wife brought the dog to the gravesite and the dog would lay on the grave over the top of his owner. Pets don't care where they live. The new place is a new adventure to explore for them. All they want is there human companions to be there and maybe some of there toys and their bed which is what their human companions take of their own possessions when they move. Do yourself a favor. It's not the place. IT'S THE PEOPLE. Anyone reading this should be moved to take their companions with them. It's like marriage and having a family. You never leave your partner or your kids behind for any reason. You don't give up on them or quit on them or betray them and you don't do it to your pet either. I've had all my animals until they died except one and due to extreme allergies in my special needs grandson when he was born micro-preemie, we had to rehome her. I have lived with that regret for 10 years now... my grandson is still alive and 10 years old and now and he can have pets due to the remarkable medical personnel in America today. I keep current on her all the time but for the new owners sake, I don't go visit her because she would start her grieving process all over again, just like a child who is fostered or adopted out does. I know she is happy in her new forever home and I am so grateful for my grandson who is still alive even though he has had a very rough go of things and is about to have still another surgery. You never leave a pet behind anymore than you would leave your family in the same predicament..... not of you have a heart of love for them. Even if your career has you working a 40 hour week, they can still get your love when you come home and with pets, they would prefer that rather than being abandoned.
How interesting that yours is the only post of its kind, M mysnnygrl and it echoes my initial feelings and thoughts very much. However, having first read all of the posts before yours, I must say I have changed my mind and agree with them in samilinn963 samilinn963 's, Oreo's and Ringo's particular situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samilinn963

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions in this situation. I have been struggling with this for awhile now, the thought of leaving my Oreo just breaks my heart a little more each day. It’s very odd in my area to be a 22 year old who cares about her cat so much so I didn’t have many people to seek real opinions and advice from so I am so happy to get real opinions, suggestions, and stories from fellow cat lovers :) you all have made me feel so much better about this. I do feel the best option is to keep her with my parents and visit weekly.. maybe more than once a week for my own sanity I will be keeping tabs on her though and making sure she is doing okay. My family is on board in the event Oreo becomes depressed and I need to take her with me but we will cross that hurdle when it comes. Growing up is so hard and leaving my sweet angel is even harder!! But the fact is I can’t stay at home forever and as a few of you mentioned, I’m at a point in my life where a lot of new things are going to be happening one after another. I am so fortunate to be able to visit Oreo as I please!

Thank you all so much and I’m looking forward to being a member on this site!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad you found TCS and that the replies to your post were helpful. :)

Please consider "formally" introducing yourself and your cats in our New Cats on the Block forum.
We love pictures, BTW. :camera:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions in this situation. I have been struggling with this for awhile now, the thought of leaving my Oreo just breaks my heart a little more each day. It’s very odd in my area to be a 22 year old who cares about her cat so much so I didn’t have many people to seek real opinions and advice from so I am so happy to get real opinions, suggestions, and stories from fellow cat lovers :) you all have made me feel so much better about this. I do feel the best option is to keep her with my parents and visit weekly.. maybe more than once a week for my own sanity I will be keeping tabs on her though and making sure she is doing okay. My family is on board in the event Oreo becomes depressed and I need to take her with me but we will cross that hurdle when it comes. Growing up is so hard and leaving my sweet angel is even harder!! But the fact is I can’t stay at home forever and as a few of you mentioned, I’m at a point in my life where a lot of new things are going to be happening one after another. I am so fortunate to be able to visit Oreo as I please!

So glad TCS has been helpful for you in making your decision, samilinn963 samilinn963 -- that's what we're here for! I think you're doing the right thing, based on everyone's posts (as I said, I initially disagreed with most but having read their thoughts, I agree with them!). I was a little younger than you when I basically had to do the same thing, and I visited my parents and cats at least weekly, which made it all easier. Of course I did not want to be without my girl, but the apartment I had to move to at that time would not allow her to be with me (something we need to change, everywhere, IMHO). She had a much better environment than she would have with me at that time, a big, beautiful home and the loving care my parents gave her. They fell in love with her very quickly, and she got along well with their male cat, who was "personality plus". It was the best possible scenario.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would love to tell you to take her but it would be hard for her to adjust :(
Safer to stay in her life long home. Just need many visits. lots and lots of visits!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think you have made a courageous and responsible decision. And if this option doesnt work, you can stll consider moving her.