Should I Be Worried?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll have to check my paperwork to get an accurate date. I don't recall if she came to me with it done, or if my vet did it. But, less than three weeks ago, she was negative for worms. You really think this could still be a concern?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know if they did 2 treatments of the de-wormer, two or three weeks apart? It takes a second dose to kill the eggs that hatch. I don't know, I try to de-worm my cats a few times a year because I've heard the tests can miss things. But I suppose it could be something else, like something she ate disagreed with her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It isn't the MOST likely cause, but it is a possibility. And even with worming, they can hide and miss the medication. AND you can bring larvae in on your shoes just from walking through dirt and grass. I wouldn't worry overly much about it, but it worth at least considering. She may well have, as M maggiedemi said, just eaten something that disagreed with her. Happens to all of us.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is FVRCP a de-wormer? I can say for sure she's had three of those, but otherwise, I'm not sure. She's also on a flea and tick preventive, so I'm not sure if that would help with de-worming.

Otherwise, oddly enough, both times she had diarrhea, she did have the same flavor of canned food. It's possible, I suppose that there could be something with that. But, the first bout, I really thought was due to the Irish Soda Bread she got into, plus she had that canned flavor in between without issue.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FVRCP is the Distemper vaccine. There are a few flea and tick meds that have de-wormer in them like Revolution. Yeah, usually when my cats get poop problems, it's caused by a new food.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did it say Drontal on your receipt at the vet? That's the de-wormer my vet uses. But there are several different ones.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It didn't, no. The only thing that I think could've been it was the FVRCP, but that's something else. I'll have to take a better look at the paperwork she came with to see if maybe it's on there. For now, should I not feed that canned flavor? I've only fed her one brand, and I have to imagine this was a change of brand, but she showed no issues from the change immediately. This is just weird!

In unrelated news, I almost had a larger issue with her. It seems she's had an adverse reaction to the Seresto collar. It happened quick, and I seem to have caught it (and removed the collar), and all seems fine. I think. I hope.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try feeding a different flavor for a few days and see if that helps. What happened with the Seresto collar? A skin reaction?

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'll stick to other flavors, and if I see no more diarrhea, I suppose I'll consider that maybe that was it.

No, I didn't notice irritation, but I did notice extreme lethargy. I put the collar on just before I left for work. By the time I returned home, she was laying on the couch, and she didn't move to greet me, or to follow me to the kitchen. This is very unusual. She seemed groggy, and she hadn't eaten as much as usual, and she wasn't interested in eating when I fed her tonight. I took the collar off, and she slowly became more alert. When she had fully woken up, she immediately started to groom before another nap (but this nap seemed less groggy, if that makes sense). She has since been up and moving around a bit. According to Google, this seems fairly common. Unfortunately, I didn't see it before I tried the collar.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you caught the allergic reaction to the flea collar quickly. I had a cat have a reaction to one years ago. I came home from work to pet her and noticed it looked like she was missing fur on her neck. I took the collar off and she had a red ring where the fur was missing. I freaked out and took her to the vet. They gave her an injection to stop the allergic reaction. A few hours later the red ring was gone. Her fur grew back in pretty quickly. I have never used a flea collar again. She had to have an infection cleaned out of her back leg a few weeks before this happened. When I saw the red ring I freaked out and thought she was getting an infection on her neck. This forum was not around back when this happened.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Further evidence that the extreme lethargy really was due to the Seresto collar: this morning, Patches is back to her playful, active self this morning, and her appetite is back.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought of trying that Seresto collar. Thanks for the warning. I'll just stick to Frontline.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I wouldn't use it! A simple Google search for Seresto collar reviews suggests it's mostly a good product that most people recommend (what I searched before use). However, a simple Google search for adverse reaction to Seresto collar paints a very different picture (what I searched after the issue).

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm glad she's doing ok, too. If I can make people aware of a danger that seems to be very real, I'm happy. I caught this in less than 10 hours. What I've described above seems pretty extreme for such a short period. I can't imagine what may have happened if the collar was on for longer.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are caring, attentive and alert. Good job. This kitten is more lucky than she knows, to have you as a "parent!"

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm still working on trying to figure out what to do for a flea preventive now. I have a thread about flea prevention that's gotten only a little attention so far.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, that sounds like it was an ordeal! Fortunately, I don't have a flea issue at this time. I'm just looking for a good flea preventive. It's crazy that you ran into this issue even when using Frontline, though!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fleas in a certain area can develop immunity to preventatives. Now, once I moved to the opposite end of the apartment complex, Frontline started working again! Beats me how or why! Or maybe the neighboring apartments were infested and not treated properly.