Should I Be Worried?

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think I have to be worried, but I wanted to ask on here.

Yesterday, at some point while I was at work, Patches got into some Irish Soda bread, and overnight, she had diarrhea. She's eating and acting completely normal, so I don't think there's much cause for concern (although I now know that nothing is to be left out-ah, the process of getting used to the differences between a new cat and the former cat!). But, since I've literally never dealt with cat diarrhea before, I wanted to be cautious.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think it would cause any long term problems. but i would watch her the next few days to make sure she eats and uses the litter box normally. If not then maybe have her checked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'll continue to watch her to be safe. She does seem fine, but I'm admittedly unaware of all of the things cats shouldn't eat, plus not ever dealing with cat diarrhea before, I figured I should put it out there.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She should be fine. LOL, they get into EVERYTHING, don't they? Just watch her for another day or two, and keep the soda bread under lock and key...or you may mail it to me.
One of mine, as a kitten (6 months or so) leapt into my lap as I was eating some lunch. She swiped 1/2 of a bun-less cheeseburger off my plate in a half of a millisecond and darted away. This happened in less than 1 second.
I re-stole it from her, but cut it up and everyone shared...except me =D

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Now if she starts doing an Irish Jig you might be worried. :biggrin:
Actually I happen to love Irish soda bread and I think the ingredients in it are pretty bland unless there's buttermilk which can be too rich for her system. Glad she's doing better.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny how unpredictable cats' tastes can be...I offered mine a sniff of my Irish Soda Bread this morning, and was surprised when she accepted my offering of a small crumb. I figured a tiny bit would be OK and so far, so good. Hope Patches continues to feel better!

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Patches is back to what seems like perfect health. She never did any Irish dancing, nor did she find any gold, sorry to say!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, drat. And I was hoping for the pot of gold, and an invitation to the ensuing party! I am, however, very happy to hear that she is back to normal!

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, all. Patches had some more diarrhea sometime overnight or early this morning. It was all in or near the litterbox. She definitely didn't get into anything this time. She is picking at her food at the most this morning, but otherwise, she's acting completely normal.

My mind goes to tummy upset due to a change in foods, but she was completely fine when I brought her home, and initially changed her food, and it's been over a month since that happened. I have noticed that she does pass gas on a fairly regular basis. I know these things may not be completely out of the norm, but I truly don't think I ever noticed either from my previous cat who was with me for 13 years, so I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd have her checked tomorrow, just be to sure. It has been too long for this to be food-related from the change. It COULD be worms, but it COULD be something more serious. Let us know!

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info! I should've mentioned that had a fecal exam (just routine, not for any reason in particular) done a bit over two weeks ago. Everything was fine. Not that something couldn't be wrong now, but I wanted to add this just incase it changes anything.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback!
Yesterday, she just ate her normal cat food. One can, fed in two servings, and 1/4 cup dry food. Saturday, she wouldn't eat much wet food at all. Perhaps I was wrong, and it has something to do with how she's feeling, but I chalked it up to her not liking the flavor.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When was the last time she was de-wormed? I try to do it at least twice a year.