Should I be concerned?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Hope you're all doing well on day 946 of self isolation. My 9 month old kitten Malibu likes to smush her head on the side of my neck and knead away endlessly for 10 minutes every night until my neck turns red and then she goes to her cat tree for bed. Occasionally, she will suckle or lick my neck. I adopted her at about 9 weeks old and she has been doing this since. None of my other cats have ever done this before.. is this just a sign my cat loves me? Or should I be concerned about developmental issues etc.. Thanks in advance. Literally been at home for 4 weeks straight and I'm going a little crazyyyy.
20200416_193831.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be concerned, but if it is uncomfortable for you, you may want to discourage her or try to find a substitute. Kneading and suckling in older cats brings comfort to them and are a sign of being comfortable. They are reminiscing about their kittenhood and taking pleasure from it. She is showing her love for you. It is perfectly normal in most cats. Rather than pushing her away, I would try to find her a substitute, something she would knead on, such as a special toy or soft blanket, which is what my own cats love. or simply enjoy it, and know she loves you that much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be concerned, but if it is uncomfortable for you, you may want to discourage her or try to find a substitute. Kneading and suckling in older cats brings comfort to them and are a sign of being comfortable. They are reminiscing about their kittenhood and taking pleasure from it. She is showing her love for you. It is perfectly normal in most cats. Rather than pushing her away, I would try to find her a substitute, something she would knead on, such as a special toy or soft blanket, which is what my own cats love. or simply enjoy it, and know she loves you that much!
Thanks so much for your reply and reassurance! Much appreciated 😽

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely love :) I suggest sparing an overworn t-shirt and directing her there to save your neck!
minish had a phase of hugging my head and chewing my hair with loud purrs (around 5-6 months). endearing as it is, I wanted to phase it out for myself and for her future people friends. wheneve she did it, i got up and left the room. it took about 3 weeks of persistence on both sides. now my head is free :)