Should I adopt a stray cat and let it adapt to indoor?

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Need some advise on some questions regarding a stray cat. He was abandoned by someone living on the same apartment as me as that mentioned that he's too hard to care for as he will bully other resident cats, and therefore, they left him out on the street. Since then, he's going around roaming and going into different houses for shelter and food. I started feeding him three times a day about two years ago. I'm interested in adopting him and I've tried it multiple times but he will keeps on meowing at the door to be let out. His breathing rate will increase as he's stressed out and ultimately I gave in and gave up about the thoughts of adopting him as I don't want him to force him, especially when he seems extremely stressed out.

After giving up on the thoughts of adopting him (I still feed him, bring him to the vet when he's injured and etc), I adopted a kitten from the street and she have been with us for a year and a half since then. Recently, I tried bringing him indoor again to try for a day but he still seems extremely stressed out. I put him in a playpen as he attacked my cat before when I let him in previously. He will claw at the playpen and meow to be let out. He's breathing rapidly as well. I ignored his meow and after a while, he gave up and went off to sleep.

I'm not too sure if the stress will cause him any health issues in the long run if I really adopt him to be an indoor cat. And, I'm not too sure if he can get along well with my cat. My cat seems to do well when he's around. Eating, peeing, drinking and sleeping well (usually when I brought him a rescued cat for a day or two, she will choose not to eat as she's stressed out but she seems to be okay with this stray). She's scared of him but curious about him too.

Anyone have any idea on how to let two cats get used to each other? I would love the idea of the stray getting along with my cat so that I wouldn't need to put the stray in the playpen before heading off the sleep as I'm afraid that they'll fight when I'm asleep.

And also, am I doing any good or am I wrong in trying to force a stray cat to adapt to be an indoor cat? 😭 I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing for him. I know he's used to freedom and prefer to roam around but I'm worried that he might get into accident or fight with other stray cats.

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe others will have more ideas about how to bring him in, but to me, he sounds like he's happy outdoors. Not every cat needs to be an indoor kitty, and obviously they can't all be. It sounds like if you're feeding him outdoors, and even taking care of injuries, that that's all the kindness he really wants.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course you can transition him to indoor only BUT are you up for tye task at hand?Sounds like he's gone semi feral being so terribly stressed out indoors but he'll get over it,the thing is can you?
Bringing in a semi feral or a stray is not for tye faint of heart but if you've got alot of love,a whole lot of patience and you can stick to your guns we are here to help you each step of the way

Now ,you've got to make tye decision BEFORE you try it again to be prepared this time around, get the house ready to acclimate him in a safe room and you cannot "give in" to his whining,meowing,stretching or even bouncing off walls because all you'll be doing is reinforcing thst behavior,making it more a more difficult.....
I for one believe every cat deserves a forever home- inside ,not roaming around to suffer the many health issues,hazards,predators,crazy drivers and often times people's abuse out there to fend for themselves....so if you ask me I think it'd be great to give him a home,is he nuetered?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frist it takes a certain amount of effort to persuade a cat that indoors will do. To have this patience and make the effort you need to decide if it will be less than the amount of worry you'll experience with him being outside. Also, vet bills are a consideration.

Only two of ours pushed to be outside cats after being brought in from the outside. The first meant a year of moving to stop the door dash, I think it became something of a game for her. I still make the leg move even without a cat dashing for the door. The other one, attacked and was returned to in/out state. The rest appeared thrilled to be safe inside. All had either been injured or more than a little hungry while outside.