Short Haired Or Long Haired?

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone so I just got a new baby yesterday and I'm very confused about her coat length. I want to say she is short but her face is kinda long so I'm confused. Maybe you experts can tell me? We found out today by the vet that she is 6 weeks old and she is underweight (you can feel her bones pretty bad). But she is suuuper sweet and we love her already.
20171030_193945.jpg
20171030_193945.jpg
20171030_194236.jpg
20171030_194308.jpg
20171030_194218.jpg
20171030_195251.jpg

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
happyliz happyliz - Typically we start this answer out with, "kitten fuzz can be deceiving," but not here. She'll be a stunning long haired beauty, and much of that owed to having a Maine Coon somewhere in the past few generations, since her ears and muzzle suggest MCO heritage. Her "white mascara" is wonderful, and should set off those hazel-green eyes. She's just a charmer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
happyliz happyliz - Typically we start this answer out with, "kitten fuzz can be deceiving," but not here. She'll be a stunning long haired beauty, and much of that owed to having a Maine Coon somewhere in the past few generations, since her ears and muzzle suggest MCO heritage. Her "white mascara" is wonderful, and should set off those hazel-green eyes. She's just a charmer!
Thank you very much! I'm not really experienced with the Maine coon breed so I didn't even think about it. Thank you for answering my question :) I truly appreciate it!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much! I'm not really experienced with the Maine coon breed so I didn't even think about it. Thank you for answering my question :) I truly appreciate it!
happyliz happyliz - You're entirely welcome. Let's see if StefanZ StefanZ and abyeb abyeb concur in this case. The Big Breeds thread in the Pictures Forum:

The Big Breeds (and Mixes): Post 'em Here!

will give you a quick - and enjoyable - introduction to Maine Coons and their big hairy cousins - Siberians and Norwegian Forest Cats. One of the regular posters has a stunning Maine Coon named, "Oliver," and it's doubtless worth calling him to this thread as well.

Oh mightyboosh mightyboosh !

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C chelso - She appears to be a Norwegian Forest Cat - and not a "pet quality" cat, but a show quality cat. Let's see if abyeb abyeb gets the same impression.

Here's my tiny Bob as a young adolescent:

bobkitten.jpg

and as a somewhat larger Bob 2.0 five years later:

bob_scottiecat.jpg

Bob was a "throwaway" of rather uncommon pedigree, simply let outside when his owner died suddenly at age 70, and the heirs decided that he'd be too much trouble. Do a comparison between his triangular facial planes and your beautiful Chelsea. She's genuinely a stunning girl, and her carriage is remarkable.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Chelsea is certainly beautiful! I agree- with that face shape, she could be a stand-in for an NFC.

And 1CatOverTheLine, I don't think I've ever seen that picture of young Bob before! What a sweet little big guy! :)

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First thing I thought when I seen the pic of her on the couch. That's got Maine Coon in it! happyliz happyliz Your gonna love her! She going to be a beautiful long hair.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine I agree with you on this one too.
C chelso - Could you elaborate? Chelsea appears for all the world to be a Norwegian Forest Cat.
I agree with you on this one too. C chelso I can't believe you found her in the woods. Something tells me someone's missing their cat! What a beautiful cat! Unbelievable! I'm going to go for a walk in the woods!:wow:

chelso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine I agree with you on this one too.

I agree with you on this one too. C chelso I can't believe you found her in the woods. Something tells me someone's missing their cat! What a beautiful cat! Unbelievable! I'm going to go for a walk in the woods!:wow:
Oh i agree! She looks stolen....however, when we found her she weighed 4lbs and looked sick...she barely looked like a long hair...a lot of fur was missing. I didn't want my wife to mess with her because she looked near death, but she picked her up and discovered her front claws were out and she had a slight scar on her bare stomach which we assumed was a neutering scar. We took her straight to the vet...no chip..then had the full work up of shots and de-fleaing. We also tried to find another home for her because we do live near a woods off a main road where ppl dump unwanted cats. A month earlier we had found a single domestic shorthair kitten, which my daughter has turned into a diva cat. This was last November when we found her. It took her until March of this year to grow that new fur and she now weighs 16lbs! Kinda fat now! So it wasn't until this spring we started to think she may be something special. The vet says she is a domestic long hair on her chart...we just took her for a spa day at the pet groomers and they didn't think she was a show cat....just a sweetheart like we do!

Last edited:

Brit1157

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is beautiful!!! I would love to see pictures as she grows. We adopted 3 kittens around the same time, 2 at the same time and one about 2 months later. They were all VERY fluffy as babies but as they've gotten a like older, their fur isn't as long. It's like their bodies grew but their hair didn't lol. One of them is starting to fluff out again, but not the other 2. I don't know if this is their permanent look, or if they will get their fluff back. They are around 5-6 months old now.