shivery tail

trishfitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had Darcy for just over two months now (she's two years old) and she's such a wonderful kitty! I grew up with cats, but have never had my own to take care of, so I'm re-learning things about kitties.

One thing Darcy does that I don't remember seeing other cats do is shake her tail. It happens most often when I get home from work, as she's waiting for me to put out her treat of canned food, but it also happens randomly. She'll walk around with her tail up, happy to see me, and then stand still ... and her tail will quiver.

Any clue what's going on, or what she's trying to tell me?

Trish

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's actually known as a quivering tail and it is a sign of love and greeting. For as short of a time that you have this cat, you should feel very fortunate that you made such a nice impact on her so quickly!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishfitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks hissy!

I've never seen a cat do that before, but since Darcy didn't seem to be in any distress, I figured it was a good thing.

Darcy is the most affectionate kitty I know -- she kneads me constantly, love to nuzzle and lick my face, and is happiest sleeping close to my face where I can nuzzle and kiss her in return. I feel so lucky to have found such a wonderful cat!

Thanks again for the info.

Trish

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I call this "jiggly tail kitty." Only one of my cats does this. She becomes jiggly tail kitty at suppertime and when we get home from work. I always give her lots of attention when she does this because knowing she is so happy brings me great joy!

oava

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I only have one cat that does this too! It is Newman my orange tabby, When he is happy or content with us he will fluff it out like a peacock then flutter it, not always just sometimes,it is cool to see.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting Ava, the one cat I have that does this is an orange tabby as well. I have never seen the others do this tail manuever. Renae, is your cat orange also?

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chuckie will do that as well!!
He is a grey tabby Maine Coon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishfitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Darcy (my quivery tail'd kitty) is black and white.

Originally posted by hissy
Interesting Ava, the one cat I have that does this is an orange tabby as well. I have never seen the others do this tail manuever. Renae, is your cat orange also?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok that shoots my theory down the tubes-
I thought maybe it might be an orange kitty characteristic.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My orange cat Pinky does this, and I think that Stumpy tries, but he only has half a tail (he is also orange). Perhaps orange dominant trait? LOL

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think in general orange tabbies are very loving and sweet. However Loki, my tri-color marble Bengal does the tail quiver as well alsong with what I call a butt squeeze.

rbg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our orange boy does this and the first time I saw him doing it I got worried, becuase the orange cat I had as a kid would do it too, just before he sprayed!

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats do jiggle their tails when they spray. So it can be pretty scary to see your cat do this for the first time -- thinking that they are going to spray when what they are really doing is showing you how happy they are!

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by hissy
It's actually known as a quivering tail and it is a sign of love and greeting. For as short of a time that you have this cat, you should feel very fortunate that you made such a nice impact on her so quickly!
Funny I just called it "I Love You Tail" and see its true , they also do I Love You Eyes where they sorta squint them and get a sleepy content look.

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phew I'm glad its an 'affection'thing as my Dirt does it as well. Sometimes he sprays at the same time unfortunatly so I try to get hold of him before he forgets himself

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nimbus, sebastian, marble, granet, stormy and blizzy all do the shakey tail thing! I think nimbus started it and the rest of them wanted to do it too

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by lotsocats
Most cats do jiggle their tails when they spray. So it can be pretty scary to see your cat do this for the first time -- thinking that they are going to spray when what they are really doing is showing you how happy they are!
Frantic does it in the bathroom just before I turn the faucet on for him. I used to say he just never learned to spray! Now I can say he's just a happy cat!

Sandy

n0nc0nformist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have four little orange tabby's, all brothers, at the shelter who do this, every morning when I let them out of their cage. It's cute!!!

superkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ginza does this too, and we did figure out a long time ago that it was his way of saying 'hello' as he only did that when he stands in front of me or hubby. We love it, and always melt when we see it. Of course, we are so happy it's not accompanied with actual spraying.

For the informal survey, he's sand-colored.