Shivering?

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My cat recently over the past few weeks has been shivering, to the point where sometimes I think something may be wrong but she acts perfectly fine..so I'm stumped why she might be doing it. She does it mainly when she stretches out before she falls asleep. She will be purring at the same time, I've seen her do it before too right before she gets fed when she seems super excited. I wish I could somehow post a video but I'm not sure how, its only her legs that shake, has anyone else's kitty done this before? I would think if she was in some kind of pain from something it would be more often, but its only when she seems relaxed and happy :dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, thank you! Lets see if this works..you can see she's completely relaxed, she does it most often when shes on her back like that and her legs shake
View media item 422569

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say she's dreaming except she's clearly awake. Can you take the video to your vet and ask him or the tech what they think?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I wouldn't call that shivering. It is an ever-so slight tremor. If she is eating/drinking/peeing-pooping OK, I am not sure I would worry about it.

Why are you concerned it means something? How old is she? Is this something just new, or perhaps something she does all the time and you just now noticed it?

Unless there is other things going on behind the scenes at the same time, I am not sure that it is of a particular issue. Just my opinion though - let's see what other members might think!!

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes my next step was to go to the vet and just ask and show the video, she doesn't do it all the time but we noticed it happening maybe within the past month or 2, she is going to be 4 at the end of this year. She doesn't have any other issues other than throwing up dry food, I switched her to wet food and her puking went down 95%, now she only does it when she eats too much too fast.

I wasn't too concerned at first because I didn't see her do it too often, but she loves to sleep on the ottoman all of a sudden and when she stretches out her body like that, thats when she does it. If she curls up or is in a loaf position she doesn't do it, so I'm wondering if its just a muscle thing? She sleeps beside the bed on the floor or her bed every night and doesn't seem to do it there either..its just odd to me!

In the video it looks more like a tremor, but a lot of the time its just straight shaking

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Others will probably have more advice, but if you ask your vet or the
tech let us know what they say.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By all means, show the video to your vet. And, also keep a log of when/how long she does it, and anything else that might be going on around the time that it happens.

Feeby will do something similar (but longer) when she is stretching out her legs while on her back. It's almost as if she tenses her muscles while stretching that she makes them sort of tremor. And, actually, since she has done that, I have paid attention to when I do a big stretch and have noticed my legs kind of shake/shiver/tremor too!! So, you could be right, it may be just a muscle thing.

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I am really am hoping its just a muscle thing, I'm keeping an eye on her and will try to get to the vet this week to show them and see what they say.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any answers on this? My cat does this also and multiple vets don’t have any answers to it.
The OP hasn't been active on this site since May 2021, so it is doubtful that you will get a response from them. I hope some other members who have had similar experiences might come along, see your post, and have some ideas. But, I see you have been able to find some other similar posts, and hopefully they will be of help to you.