Shelter Volunteers - Which Litter Does Your Shelter Use?

Which litter does your shelter use?

• Clumping

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Non-clumping

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Both

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Neither type

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm researching for an article and trying to get information about cat/pet shelters. If you work or volunteer in one, can you please share what type of litter is used? I'm not looking for a particular brand so much as to know whether there's a preference for clumping or non-clumping litter.

The poll has four options, so you can also choose "both" or even "neither" in case you have some magical no-litter system in place :biggrin:

Would love to hear more about what's being used in replies too! Thank you!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We use non-clumping litter for the general population because kittens can ingest clumping litter and have it cause trouble. We also have a few cats with allergies or asthma that use special litters like yesterday's news.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelter I was with used clumping generally, but individual fosters always had the final say on what litter they used for their cats, so there was some variation. Very young kittens would have nonclumping though.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The shelter I volunteer at has capacity for around 150 cats, and we get our non-clumping litter in massive bags. The shelter is always aware of how expensive litter is, and we go through it like crazy, so we also limit the amount of litter that goes in the boxes (we have a fantastic turn-over rate, so cats don't have to use the 1/2 inch deep litter for long, poor babies). We do also have a few small containers of yesterday's news for certain situations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Very interesting replies! I somehow assumed shelters would go for clumping, for better odor control with so many cats around.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
We are run out of foster homes. We use clumping for our "main population" cats. Nonclumping litter for kittens and isolation sick cats.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both shelters I have volunteered at get huge bags of wood non-clumping litter. Like others said, it's cheap and safer for kittens.