She Won’t Stop Trying To Lick Her Stitches

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my Rei got spayed on Monday. She seems, for the most part, to understand her own limits and hasn’t been running or playing with my other kitty (she still tries to jump on the windows or to the top of the little tree I have for them, about waist high for me and I’m 5’5”). But, for the life of me I cannot get her to stop licking her stitches! I’ve bought one of those inflatable collars and I feel like a horrible person putting it on her (it’s so big and I feel like it’s too tight she also just drops down and refuses to move).
Without resorting to the cone are there any other options I have to get her to stop the licking?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked about that too and someone on here recommend this cat suit. I haven't used it myself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That would be awesome! But I think she needs a small and they only have x small

StraightShooter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had to find an e collar that wouldn't drive our kitty crazy and found this one on Amazon, it works fantastically. It's clear, so it doesn't obstruct her vision like the opaque one we got from the vet.

We also tried this, however, she couldn't stand wearing it....

Last edited:

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the suggestions! I’m calling her vet in the morning because she looks and feels like she has a lump at the top of the incision site. Not sure if it’s normal or if it requires any attention. She may need the cone after all

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her vet says that it’s normal for some cats to get a lump around the incision site because of a reaction to the dissolvable stitches. As long as the lump doesn’t move and she isn’t in pain it should go away. But of course if I feel like she needs to be seen I can always call to bring her in