She had a bad reaction

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I’m new to posting but I’ve referenced these forms a lot since I adopted my sweet girl Echo 1.5 years ago at 4 months old.

We had a bad situation yesterday. I went to a local feline vet to get her ear looked at because I noticed on Christmas Day that she had scratched off some fur and nicked her skin a bit. Just the one ear. Otherwise normal desktop but slightly soft stool.

when I called our regular vet yesterday, there was no answer or call back over an Hour. I thought they might be on vacation. So I booked an appointment with a feline only vet I had visited once before. He is new in town but has a bunch of great reviews. I thought this wouldn’t be a severe or intense visit. I just wanted to make sure no infection or inner ear issue.

it was concluded to be potential allergy since ears were clear. Which confirmed my own assessment...but he ended up giving her two shots. One .5 cc dose of penicillin and one .5cc dose of dexamethasone (corticosteroid) as well as a1/4 tablet of metronidasole, which he said was for the loose stool. this was too much for my kitty, and she had a bad reaction within an hour of being home. Scratched her back (injection site) Bald raw and red, was agitated/wild and panting. I ended up hearing from the regular vet, who I should have just waited to see In the first place. So I brought my girl there in a panic. She thankfully saw us between patients and she said she would have just told me to use a topical cream on ear. No need for antibiotics beyond topical antiseptic on small skin abrasion.

we ended up giving her low dose of benadryl while there and she felt it’s reasonable to assume my kitty doesnt do well with penicillin so it’s in her file now. I don’t know the amount of Benadryl ...She was of course sleepy once home.she ate dinner fine and took a big pee at 11pm. peed sizable amount again between 6-8am and ate breakfast, has since had one smaller than norm urination later in the day today. She’s definitely lacking her luster, and has mostly been sleeping in her carrier all day. She did perch and look out the window at one point and swatted at her fav toy briefly but she’s definitely low, staring off. Not feeling well. Hasn’t pooped.

she’s my first kitty and dear friend...I’m so very nervous. Feel so guilty. I have a follow up appointment but not till Thursday...so I’m just posting here because maybe someone has similar experiences, some advice... solidarity idk...we lost our dog this year to a horrible/traumatizing vet incident and I’m now nauseous over this.

0FF98AC3-D503-4E65-8C59-B6337A6F76F5.jpeg FD9235BD-A2EC-4C07-B292-14747DBCD284.jpeg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have nothing to feel guilty about. There was an issue with your kitty, who is a pretty one, and you took her to the vet. You now know not to go to that vet again. Antihistamines, which Benadryl, is often make animals of all types sleepy. That is actually what is in many over the counter sleeping pills. She should be back to normal soon, if not or she quits eating then give your vet a call with your concerns.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope you don’t feel bad blaming yourself as I’ll bet bad advise has happened to many of us. My internal medicine vet of 15 years misdiagnosed my cat and I almost lost her. My instincts kept warning me and finally I switched vets and got better advise and my kitty is slowly doing much better. This happens in people medicine too. I wonder if the doses were too strong. The cortisone should have handled any bad reaction. I’m glad your kitty is hanging in there.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear it. Just like people cats can have or develop an allergy to penicillin. One of my girls who had taken the drug a number of times as a kitten for tonsillitis and had no issues was given it as an adult some years later and within an hour began to madly scratch herself all over. She was switched to other antibiotics and the scratching stopped. Unfortunately, the new antibiotics were considerably more expensive.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, you have NOTHING to feel guilty about. NOTHING. And I'm not overly pleased that your vet took you to task over taking her elsewhere when you got no response ON A HOLIDAY WEEKEND when they may well have been closed. You are in NO WAY at fault for caring "too much" about your cat. That's how responsible cat owners/parents/guardians are. Nor is the vet that you saw at fault. The unfortunate fact is that any living creature can have a reaction to any given medication at any given time. Even if they have taken it successfully before. I had taken penicillin just fine for over half my life when one dose sent me into anaphylactic shock. And because cats can't articulate what is happening to them, often they are medicated, "just in case." Especially when a vet may not be available again for a few days.

I imagine that she'll be feeling much more like herself tomorrow, or by the next day, at the latest, as the medications leave her body.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys. I think my worry is that she's still so sleepy 24+ hours later. My normal vet said the benadryl is an 8-12 hour type of thing, but I personally know the tiredness of being on antibiotics so I'm hoping it's just that her system is a feeling blah from those antibiotic doses...it's now evening and she still hasn't pooped (since yesterday morning). Still just been sleepy. Got up and stretched once. Stared. Went back to sleep. I just hope nothing that she was given would hurt her long term. I've researched all of the medications and they shouldn't as far as I can tell. I have kitty/doggy probiotic that I'll keep adding to her meals to help her repopulate good bacteria.

I'm so grateful that my regular vet was around and not on vacation, because it seems the holidays this year have brought bad omens (the situation with our family dog happened around easter and this regular vet was away). Mamanty (I don't know how to quote or tag people), my regular vet wasn't hostile that I took her elsewhere but, was more confused by what the other vet did and said it seemed like an extreme approach. She's more holistic and always try to do the least invasive things first.

I don't blame the first vet that she had a reaction, because those things aren't predictable, but when he was giving shots I asked if one was a steroid and he said no. Then at the front desk of that office they said it was a steroid shot. Also when I asked what he was giving her, he just said "antibiotics" and then made the other shot sound like an anti-histamine. Then when I called about her having a reaction just to let him know (and explained I'd be going to our regular vet since I heard from them), he said to mention that he also gave a B12 shot and thats why she might be so energetic. Which was just untrue -I was there in the room with my friend the entire time and of course that's not on the records either. She was hyped either from the allergic reaction or that in combo with the steroid. So I don't blame him for the reaction (though I definitely disagree with that treatment for a mild external ear reaction), but I do distrust him for lying to me in general. I don't understand why vets -that I've dealt with anyway- are so quick to do that.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope you don’t feel bad blaming yourself as I’ll bet bad advise has happened to many of us. My internal medicine vet of 15 years misdiagnosed my cat and I almost lost her. My instincts kept warning me and finally I switched vets and got better advise and my kitty is slowly doing much better. This happens in people medicine too. I wonder if the doses were too strong. The cortisone should have handled any bad reaction. I’m glad your kitty is hanging in there.
(figured out how to quote, yay)
Oh no. What condition did your kitty end up having? I'm glad she is doing better. I know it's hard with animals because they can't tell us or the doctor what they are feeling and where/when. See, I had the instinct that this treatment was too much for her and the situation but he was just going forward and because of what happened with our dog earlier this year, I second guess myself on whether its the trauma speaking or my better sensibilities. I need to learn to trust that instinct because had I done so and advocated for our family dog, she would most likely be alive today.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous cat! I can see why you love her. 😍

Just to echo everyone else, you did nothing wrong. I have lots of guilt over my guys - let's just say I've spent my share at the vet this year - and I'm trying to accept the fact that I can't control everything. We just have to do our best based on the information we have.

Fingers crossed all is well and you can move on from this experience!

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry about your experience with the veterinarians. I’ve changed vets 4 times since I’ve moved here because I discovered that we had fundemental differences in our approach to pet care. That being said, I found the price my current vet charged for a spat and decided to use the low cost spay and neuter clinic. Jemima (who looks like your cats long lost sister lol) had a bad reaction to the anesthesia combo they use. It was very scary and I felt so guilty because I didn’t use my own vet. Btw, it took several days for the bad reaction to wear off. We truly try our best with our fur babies but stuff happens. Don’t waste any more energy feeling guilty. And I’m truly sorry about your beloved dog 😕

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have done nothing to feel guilty about you took your beautiful girl for treatment. Hopefully she will be feeling better very soon. Sometimes vet visits don't go as planned glad your vet has updated your girl's records.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanty (I don't know how to quote or tag people), my regular vet wasn't hostile that I took her elsewhere but, was more confused by what the other vet did and said it seemed like an extreme approach. She's more holistic and always try to do the least invasive things first.
I'm relieved that I misunderstood her reaction. And I heartily approve of her holistic approach!

but I do distrust him for lying to me in general. I don't understand why vets -that I've dealt with anyway- are so quick to do that.
Yeah, that's a red flag. And I've been lied to by vets before, as well. Not my current vet, thankfully, but in the past.

How is she doing today?

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm relieved that I misunderstood her reaction. And I heartily approve of her holistic approach!

Yeah, that's a red flag. And I've been lied to by vets before, as well. Not my current vet, thankfully, but in the past.

How is she doing today?
Yeah she tends to have a less is more approach with strong meds and I appreciate that. She certainly wouldnt have had such an extreme treatment for one ear situation like it was. I actually wonder if it could have even been a spider bite that she scratched the hell out of. I have a few theories.

Still though, she said she didnt think the steroids would have given my kitty the type of reaction she was having or result in a big change in general. But most things I'm finding online in my own research list some of the exact symptoms she had been having in the days since which is lethargy, change of disposition/personality and changes to her urinations (some days have been more than usual and some have been less than usual). Dexamethasone has a half life of 36-50 hours I think I read, so it took time for that to leave her system.

I set up a follow up for tomorrow, which I may reschedule for a week out because both my cat and I are fairly traumatized at this point. She never had too much stress going to the vets, but I'm worried now she will be aggressive or overly afraid and she literally just got back to herself today. It took 6 days and I was in a panic basically the whole time. Worried about her bathroom use (because it got really out of whack for a bit but seems normal again now), worried about her hiding in her carrier most of the day and being almost despondent....but she's yelling at me to play as I write this and has been greeting me at the door when I come back from stepping out today so I'm endlessly happy about that.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, she got better and was much like herself for a few days...after she threw up, I have her Laxatone for 3 days and she seemed good. Today though, she seems more down again. Maybe the other two days she was just getting out pent up energy from not feeling great for a week, but I'm worried again. Vet appointment is on Wednesday and I keep debating if I should call and ask if they can see us tomorrow or if I'm being hypochrondriac about things. She was constipated today, her stool was pieces and some were small pieces.

She eats all wet food and it's pretty darn moist, pees 3-4 times per day and I think drank some water earlier. She did have a playful mood, but has been sleeping a lot more than the two days she was "normal"..So I'm not sure if these are good or bad things but I don't know why she would be constipated.

She also has always had this thing...where as she is laying to sleep, her muscles clench rythmically. Not all the time, but often enough. It seems worse after this whole steroid shot + antibiotic situation we had the day after Christmas. Which concerns me. The vet I most trust doesn't see what I'm talking about on video and I don't think she's seen that sort of thing in a cat before. So I don't know if I even show her, that it would do any good. I took another video recently so will try and show her again, but the last time she was adament that it was "just dreaming". I know that its not.

So between these things and the bald patch on her back that means she has to wear a shirt -since she licks it red and raw otherwise, I feel like I'm kinda failing as a cat mom to be honest. She's not even 2 years old yet and this is so much, it's not fair to her and I'm always worried about things...but that also has to do with trauma from earlier this year.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since she is still pooping, you're probably ok until tomorrow. BUT LET US KNOW WHAT THEY SAY!

00LitCandle.jpeg

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Echo was fairly normal energy level this morning/first half of day. We did get in to see the vet today. Echo was not happy about it. They did manage to get some blood drawn, but it was not an easy task and was uncomfortable for all. They also restrained her before they were really set up and ready...so I don't love that, but in general I do like this vet. We'll see. Checking just about everything. Kidney, liver, pancreas and even a urine sample (which I brought in later on).

It's strange. Echo will seem bright and clear and like herself for a while or on a given day, but then has several hours of seemingly not feeling well. Sleeping, but like I can tell she isn't feeling well and is almost...sometimes has the muscle spasm thing... and on some days has low energy overall but maybe I'm overthinking. Fingers crossed I really so deeply hope she is fine and I'm a hypochondriac and she just needs some time and rest or something and nothing is wrong. I guess some of the blood results will be in tomorrow. She's so young and deserves to be bright and happy, enjoying life as a kitty. Ever since we went for this issue with her ear and that other vet gave her the two shots...things just haven't been the same (that was back on Dec 26th).

I really appreciate you checking in Mamanyt. Been continuously nauseous about all this.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Going to add, she has been peeing a bit more than usual. Usually 3-4 times per day (her diet is all wet food, I do often add h2o to a pate if it's drier). Its been 4-5 times the last couple days, thus urinalysis and checking kidney etc. It's 3:37am now and I'm awake because I heard her going to litter box. She just went at 1:15am. No complaining in the box or anything like that...but I'm literally shaking with nervousness about what is happening. Please please so dearly hoping she is ok and nothing that can't be easily remedied is going on

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So blood results seem to say that things are find on that front with Kidney's Liver and Pancreas. I'm going to get copies of the test results for myself, just to go over them and see which tests were done. I know there is more than one for pancreas. The urine showed some bacteria, but its an additional test to culture it and find out what/if antibiotics are needed (then I have to worry if she will react badly to those :ohwell: ) so I gave the go-ahead and in the meantime will be adding extra water to her meals.

If it is a UTI, she's a young kitty and diet is wet food...could the stress of what happened when she had the steroid + Penicillin shot that went wrong + the low energy recover afterwards have caused an issue like this? There were some days where because she was so sleepy, she had long lags between bathroom use...

If it's UTI, then I want to figure out how to avoid it from happening again for her and also have to figure out the original issue still -which is that she scratched the fur off her ear and seems to be slightly itchy in the head area (she hasn't disturbed fur otherwise though). My vet told me to use steroid cream to keep her from being itchy and doesn't think its food allergy...I did a deep clean the other night to de-dust the place best I can and am looking into an inexpensive air filter to see if that helps if it's an environmental factor.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is an issue called FIC, Feline Idiopathic Cystitis, which basically means a urinary tract infection with no known cause. It OFTEN happens in cats with stress issues. So it is quite possible that the issue with the ear and subsequent issues may have set something like this off. It's very treatable with the proper antibiotics, but tends to recur when the cat gets stressed. My fingers are crossed that it is something this simple (if worrisome) to deal with!