She fits right in but..

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, it has been about a month since Pawlee came into our house (rescued about 6mos old now).  She didn't hide or anything and seems to be happy.  She is not a lap kitten and doesn't like to be held but prefers to be close by someone.  She slept with us when she had the cone on her head but we also slept on the couch to keep her off the steps and prevent her from being lonely.  Has only slept on the bed twice and definitely prefers to be under the bed. 

What can I do to encourage her to be a lap kitten or that's it's ok to be held.  I pick her up and give her love but once she starts to fidget let her go.

Thanks.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately some cats are simply not, and never will be, lap cats.  However you've not had her that long, so she might get more loving in a few months.  One thing that doesn't help is if you keep looking at the cat.  You know how they are all over people who hate cats?  That's because those people are trying very hard to not notice the cat!  They don't look at them, they tend to be very still and quiet...  So that might help.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say let her come to you.  My Mooch is a lap cat; but I cannot pick her up.  I have to sit and let her come.  Noodles is this way even more so.  She prefers to sit near me or lay at my feet if I'm laying on the couch.  Your kitty is also young; so there is time for her to develop her likes and what not.  But most cats want to do things in their own good time and way.  I do find that my 2 (especially Noodles) prefer their lap time to come when the house is quiet; after everyone else is in bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help; she is laying close by and I will let her have her freedom.  I will continue to pick her up once a day to kiss and cuddle for a few minutes until she wants down.  Cats are so finicky!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do keep putting her down when she gets wiggly. You want to let her know that being held is a comfortable thing, not a prison! Since you can pick her up when you absolutely need to, I think you don't really have to try to make her climb into your lap. It's just a matter of kitty style. Some like to sit on your lap, some like to sit next to you and lean against you, and some like to gaze at you from across the room. Some cats are just too hyper to sit in your lap for long, especially kittens. You could probably lure the cat into your lap for treats, though she'd likely jump down again once she'd finished them. Many cats also mellow out and become a bit more likely to sit on laps as they get older or the weather gets colder.

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it has been about a month since Pawlee came into our house (rescued about 6mos old now).  She didn't hide or anything and seems to be happy.  She is not a lap kitten and doesn't like to be held but prefers to be close by someone.  She slept with us when she had the cone on her head but we also slept on the couch to keep her off the steps and prevent her from being lonely.  Has only slept on the bed twice and definitely prefers to be under the bed. 

What can I do to encourage her to be a lap kitten or that's it's ok to be held.  I pick her up and give her love but once she starts to fidget let her go.

Thanks.
I can sympathize as I have had Mia since she was 7 weeks old (a rescue). She would let me hold her throughout the first 2-3 onths as long as I wasnt standing up. Then she got to the point where its ok to snuggle (on her terms) and is a very affectionate cat as far as she follows me around and is always rubbing on my legs. I bend down to pet her when she does and when shes had enough, off she goes. Definately has her own mind. Nothing has ever changed that. So I have excepted her as is. She does sleep with me though and when I lay down on the couch to watch TV she either snuggles up to me or rests right above me. So cute!

Mac , my 7 month old, wants snuugles all the time though!!!

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like my cat Thunder. I just have to give her time and she might come around.

dejolane

trailmixcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Zowie, is exactly the same way. Recently, I have found a solution to get her to want to lie on my lap or cuddle with me: I simply ignore her. If I am sitting on the couch, for example, and she comes by to see what I am doing, I will stare at everything but her and act as if she isn't there. She becomes interested and begins to rub against me. Once she starts purring and climbs on my lap, I give her some attention and she'll lie on my lap for hours if I let her. This may work for you, so I suggest you try it if you haven't already.

However, you must remember that not all cats enjoy being "lap cats." My late cat, Jackson, simply would not let anyone hold or pet him, as his past with humans was something he couldn't overcome. We worked with him but no progress was made. We still loved him anyways, which is obviously the same situation as you!

Good luck!

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time Thunder really comes near me is when there is food and when she hears the can opener start up. She will jump on the counter and wait.

dejolane

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thx for the replies.  Since the last time posted, there have been some small steps taken.  She still prefers to lay under the bed for sleeping but the other night did lay on my son's bed for a few hours and then slept in a little tepee he made for her.  She is a very good kitten who enjoys being around us (for the most part). 

I do have another question.  When I go to pet her, her first response is to usually lie on her side or her two from paws with her behind sticking up.  I know that there are sensitve spots there but I haven't even touched them.  What does this mean?

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has she been spayed? It sounds like she's in heat. If so, it's time to schedule an appointment with the vet.

Last edited:

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thx for the help and "yes" she has been spayed; since she was a shelter cat this is something that they paid for.