Shaved Cat Won’t Stop Licking

JennFab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got my cat shaved for the first time yesterday and she keeps licking/cleaning aggressively and I don’t know if this is normal or not. She got what the groomer called a “lion’s” cut. She was groomed at the vets office so I know they knew what they were doing. She was matted pretty badly and shaving was really the only option. I’m going to call in the morning but any advice is welcomed.

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, she's so cute! One of my long haired cats had to be shaved down to a lion cut a few times as he wouldn't let us brush his matts out. He did spend a lot of time grooming himself after he was shaved, but I thought that's because it must feel nice not to be covered in matts. Is she licking roughly enough to break the skin? posiepurrs posiepurrs might know if there is anything you can use to sooth her skin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JennFab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, she's so cute! One of my long haired cats had to be shaved down to a lion cut a few times as he wouldn't let us brush his matts out. He did spend a lot of time grooming himself after he was shaved, but I thought that's because it must feel nice not to be covered in matts. Is she licking roughly enough to break the skin? posiepurrs posiepurrs might know if there is anything you can use to sooth her skin.
Thank you and no as far as I can tell she’s not breaking the skin just seems to be grooming more than normal. First time dealing with a shaved cat so just making sure her skin isn’t irritated or anything like that.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah, it might just be the novelty of being able to groom herself properly after being matted. My cat was very energetic after he'd been shaved, I think it must feel great not to have to carry that extra weight of matted fur around.

As long as she's not licking herself raw I don't think you need to worry.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am guessing it is itchy, which would make sense. The fur being shaved off close to the skin can cause a skin reaction resulting in itchiness. I would imagine you will see that going on for a while, probably at least until the fur starts growing back in.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guess is her skin feels "weird" being exposed to air. We've groomed cats (and dogs) who react this way, especially if there was matting involved. Is she over-grooming any specific area, or is it kind of an "all over" thing?
If the groomer went over her several times with the clippers (par for the course in the industry to get a smooth finish), tiny little hairs could be stuck on her skin. I've had them on my hands/arms, and groomers call them "hair splinters". They can be very irritating. If she'll allow, you can gently take a damp cloth and go over her and see if you get any tiny little prickly hairs off of her that could be adding to the issue.
BTW, she looks absolutely adorable in her lion cut!!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time my cat is shaved for a blood work, she keeps licking that spot relentelssly for days, until her skin gets sore and once it even bled.
I think she feels a different temperature or else at the shaved area, and this drives her to lick to ease that feeling.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am guessing it is itchy, which would make sense. The fur being shaved off close to the skin can cause a skin reaction resulting in itchiness. I would imagine you will see that going on for a while, probably at least until the fur starts growing back in.
I fully agree…picture looks like they really shaved very close to her skin..poor thing.
has anyone shaved their legs and then got the burning feeling? This is probably what the cat is feeling.
I disagree that because somebody takes them to a vet for whatever reason that they know what they’re doing, that’s not always the case I know from experience with some of my cats

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fully agree…picture looks like they really shaved very close to her skin..poor thing.
has anyone shaved their legs and then got the burning feeling? This is probably what the cat is feeling.
I disagree that because somebody takes them to a vet for whatever reason that they know what they’re doing, that’s not always the case I know from experience with some of my cats
I am not an expert in long haired cats, nor shaving them. She does look cute. BUT she does look like the close shave irritated her skin badly and she is trying, most likely to find a way to sooth it. The only thing I can think of to sooth it is a topical ointment and the Cone of Shame. Perhaps a trip to the vet for the salve and the cone?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I liken it to a man who has had a beard for years and then shaves it off - he will be itchy like crazy for a while. That skin, as is the case with your cat, just isn't used to what the shave did to the skin.

Chamomile tea might be helpful. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with a soft cloth. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I liken it to a man who has had a beard for years and then shaves it off - he will be itchy like crazy for a while. That skin, as is the case with your cat, just isn't used to what the shave did to the skin.

Chamomile tea might be helpful. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with a soft cloth. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen.
I would try the German Chamomile tea, as well. J JennFab just as a general reminder to anyone reading, any ointments or creams used absolutely HAVE to be labeled safe for cats. The German chamomile tea is very safe.