Shall I Free My Cat?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Think of your cat as a child. Taking a child outside and letting them go, is not setting it free. Children depend on adults. Your cat depends on you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Indeed, the best life for a cat is the life the cat knows best. And true, what people does with their cats depends on the local culture as well.

The reason why I am somehow lost in decisions is that my tomcat started his life as an outside cat in a gas station , then comes to my apartment. I walk him, but I keep him inside. People here does not usually walk cats (some stops me and ask how I managed to do this) and I do not know anybody who made a cat-loggia.

In case of doubt, some people may just re-home the cat in the countryside. Myself I think this is to risky, although looks nice from the freedom point of view. Myself I highly value the freedom. But I am aware that there is no cat's choice, but mine.

So I am not a typical case. And this is why I highly appreciate your points of view. I am aware there is no simple answer, but your comments help me to find a practical solution.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indeed, the best life for a cat is the life the cat knows best. And true, what people does with their cats depends on the local culture as well.

The reason why I am somehow lost in decisions is that my tomcat started his life as an outside cat in a gas station , then comes to my apartment. I walk him, but I keep him inside. People here does not usually walk cats (some stops me and ask how I managed to do this) and I do not know anybody who made a cat-loggia.

In case of doubt, some people may just re-home the cat in the countryside. Myself I think this is to risky, although looks nice from the freedom point of view. Myself I highly value the freedom. But I am aware that there is no cat's choice, but mine.

So I am not a typical case. And this is why I highly appreciate your points of view. I am aware there is no simple answer, but your comments help me to find a practical solution.
You walk a cat on a leash because you, and your cat, are smarter than most. ;)
That's training. Teach him to ride a skateboard and you'll have twice the questions.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You would still, personally, be abandoning your cat.
No. In the countryside there is people owning cats, just as I do or like anybody from this forum. They are people living in villages and owning cats. Their cats are outside cats. They feed their cats, they care them, they let them in the house during winter and so on. The only difference is that some cats enjoy having more owners (:-)). Of course, people in the countryside have less time to pass with their cats comparing to the urban owners.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks like I say one thing and people hear something else.

Lets discuss in a more concrete way:

My friend Jim leaves in the countryside. He has 4 cats. He care them, feed them and let them in when the winter comes. Do you think that he abandoned his cats?

Now, I am going to tell Jim : "My friend, could be so kind and take care of my cat?"
Jim says: "Ok, bring him in! I will feed and care him". Do you think that my cat is abandoned in this case?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I work somehow ends up with stray cats that have been set free.
It's safe from traffic and there are plenty of safe places to hide and escape from dogs.
There's also an abundance of field mice for food. (and I mean LOTS).
Out of 20 or so cats in the last 10 years. ONE is still here. All of the others have ended horribly (just as they would have in the wilderness). Except ONE.
I feed him daily and he's always near. He knows not to go too far.
He's free, yet he prefers to hang around and depend on me.
If there was lots of people, traffic, etc? He would probably be dead. If "I" did not take care of him, who could I trust to do this? (nobody).
That's ONE out of 20. Is your cat as smart as this one?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My friend Jim leaves in the countryside. He has 4 cats. He care them, feed them and let them in when the winter comes. Do you think that he abandoned his cats?

Now, I am going to tell Jim : "My friend, could be so kind and take care of my cat?"
Jim says: "Ok, bring him in! I will feed and care him". Do you think that my cat is abandoned in this case?
You're moving goalposts. You originally asked if you should free your cat, and people responded to that. If you're asking about rehoming your cat to the country, that is different. I would still argue that your cat has a happy and safe life with you, and that's worth more than the freedom you're pushing on him.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Only if Jim KNOWS he's supposed to feed that cat every day, and does.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know a lot will disagree, but I am of the opinion in the case of farm cats or country cats that quality over quantity is better. But that is only the case if the cat is use to living in that setting, and also only if there are livestock guard animals around to keep predators at minimum. Also so long as the cats are treated like you would a free roaming farm dog, fed, sheltered, and given medical treatment as needed.
Although your cat had it's kitten hood growing up at a gas station that is not the same as a country home. I think your cat would probably be better off staying with you, he will learn when it's time to go out, just like a dog, and eventually wont ask to go out all the time. The first cat I got when moving here was a stray from the city, she goes out now (and is leash trained too), but the two dumped cats I set traps for and brought inside have no desire to go out. So really it depends on the cat, just because it was outside when it was young does not mean it wants to live outside. If he seems content to walk on lead and live indoors (isn't having behavior issues or anything) he is probably happy with the situation. Just think of it like how people in the city just take there dogs for walks, where as someone in the country may let there dog roam free on the farm. Both cases they are well cared for and happy, but a city dog is likely to get into trouble in the country. I know even over in North America walking a cat on lead is not common, and you do get weird looks and comments, but really it shows that you have a good working and trusting bond with your cat.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perhaps is a problem of terminology.

When I say "free" it means a cat that decides to go outside (or to get in - the other way around) whenever she/he wants. This is possible here almost only in the countryside. Cat owners in the countryside usually let the cats roaming at their discretion. There is not much traffic, not much wildlife. There are some dangerous dogs, still. The main problem is that many owner feed the cats by leftovers. Cats also hunt, so not to high risk.

There are very few cases of feral cats (according to my knowledge) in urban areas. I talk to a mayor's office official about "cats shelters" and she told me that they do not have such shelter because they only have a couple of cats, they accommodated them near the dog's cages...

Even for the cats living in open air near towers in urban areas (not many), there are people feeding them everyday and they usually do not roam to far from their home-area.

There are abandoned cats as well, in the countryside. Some people do abandon them, right. And that is cruel, indeed. They are abandoned cats. Some people even dump them far from villages, on corn fields or alike. In card boxes or just as they are (even kitten). Well, this is not particular to my country, I know it happens all over the world. The terminology is however somehow different.

In day-by-day wording here, because the cat in countryside is free to roam some even say "Let him go!" or "Set him free!" when referring to re-homing to countryside.

Last edited:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
[
I know a lot will disagree, but I am of the opinion in the case of farm cats or country cats that quality over quantity is better. But that is only the case if the cat is use to living in that setting, and also only if there are livestock guard animals around to keep predators at minimum. Also so long as the cats are treated like you would a free roaming farm dog, fed, sheltered, and given medical treatment as needed.
Although your cat had it's kitten hood growing up at a gas station that is not the same as a country home. I think your cat would probably be better off staying with you, he will learn when it's time to go out, just like a dog, and eventually wont ask to go out all the time. The first cat I got when moving here was a stray from the city, she goes out now (and is leash trained too), but the two dumped cats I set traps for and brought inside have no desire to go out. So really it depends on the cat, just because it was outside when it was young does not mean it wants to live outside. If he seems content to walk on lead and live indoors (isn't having behavior issues or anything) he is probably happy with the situation. Just think of it like how people in the city just take there dogs for walks, where as someone in the country may let there dog roam free on the farm. Both cases they are well cared for and happy, but a city dog is likely to get into trouble in the country. I know even over in North America walking a cat on lead is not common, and you do get weird looks and comments, but really it shows that you have a good working and trusting bond with your cat.
That to me is rehoming to a farm and not setting it free in the countryside. Many farms have little colonies to look out for each other. Nothing new about cats and farms. Setting it free and expecting it to end up on a farm would be cruel. It could go farm to farm and be chased off by resident cats and dogs left to likely die a horrible death.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people around here think their cat would be happier on a farm. They usually aren't. Some housecats, when released to the farm, will just hide until they starve to death because they're so scared. But there are a few cats who are much much happier free-roaming. It has to be taken on a case-by-case basis, I think. I don't think cats in general are always happier with "freedom" but some individual cats might be. Unless he becomes very discontented with his life as it is now, I don't see any reason to think he'd be happier out there.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A particularity here is that some cats may "belong" to 2 or even more farms. Perhaps this is why people here say "countryside" rather than "on farms", just my guess.

Some other farms do host small colonies indeed. Intra-colony competition is something to look for when introducing a new cat. Mine will not cope with strong competition because he does not bite.

Farms here are far smaller than in North America. Some do not host cats, just because they are not cats available or for any other reason than owners adversity to cats.

Last edited:

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to jump back in after reading some of the posts.

Firstly, like someone else said, you are moving the goalposts. First it was you wanted to put your cat in the countryside, setting it "free". Then it was daily walks vs inside-only, when nobody said no walks. The cat in my avatar is on a leash. Then it was outside or catio. We said catio. Then it is outside, but with the caveat that other people are feeding it. Now you're talking about a farm. Which is it? The way you're approaching this makes it impossible for anyone to pinpoint what you're wanting an answer to.

You can't guarantee anything, especially the kindness of humans. You can't guarantee that someone will bring him when it's cold, or that he'll even be alive when it's cold.

It's common for street cats everywhere to belong to multiple families. There used to be seven cats in this neighborhood. Now there are three. They get rounded up every year for vaccines. They are all fixed.

I have a mummy cat in my barn that died a horrible death, likely trying to escape from the cold. It was smashed between panes of glass and died there. It could be argued that he was "taken care of", since he was fed every day.

I walk my cat all the time. It doesn't get me funny looks. It does when he rides in my bicycle basket.

I have a younger cat that was "dumped"-- likely "set free"-- by his old owners. I found him at the park where I worked. He was young, just a few months old, and was scraggly and skinny enough he had likely been a barn cat. The park where I worked was nature-only, not playground equipment, etc. Tons of wildlife. And yet he was literally starving to death. He clearly couldn't hunt. He was too frightened to come out from underneath the shed where we kept telescopes. I was feeding him cans of Friskies and my lunch meat for days. I brought him home and was forced to leave him outside until I could afford to get him fixed. He had to deal with the other cats in the neighborhood. We fed him, but he was frequently ran off, because he was new. Another cat would beat him up badly. He started living in an old groundhog den.

That cat had a much more realistic "countryside" experience than your cat being found a gas station. My cat is huge and can hold his own, and still might very likely have died. Does he still want to go outside? Sure. He claws at the door. I walk him alongside the other cat. Then we go back inside and eat. Does he cry at the door? Sure. But I'm his guardian. I take care of him. Is he in emotional pain? I doubt it. Does he miss the outdoors? Sure, some aspects. Does he miss the cold and starving and being hurt and having his eye nearly clawed out, with yellow pus on his face? I doubt it.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people around here think their cat would be happier on a farm. They usually aren't. Some housecats, when released to the farm, will just hide until they starve to death because they're so scared. But there are a few cats who are much much happier free-roaming. It has to be taken on a case-by-case basis, I think. I don't think cats in general are always happier with "freedom" but some individual cats might be. Unless he becomes very discontented with his life as it is now, I don't see any reason to think he'd be happier out there.
Rusty was feral and you wouldn't know it.

When given the chance to go out in the cold Canadian winter he did not leave the entrance to his all he can eat warm comfy indoors. i had the entire day to get him back had he ran off. He likes to look out the window but has no interest in going outside. Would be cruel to take him to a farm he likes the easy life.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Zoe loves going outside but not with snow on the ground and not if raining or wet. She doesn't leave our property and not out of my sight.

She likes sleeping on the couch and loves her mommy and daddy. I could not see her on a farm either.

I let my cats Zoe and Taz out but never near or after dusk and not off our property.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
mokapi mokapi

Thank you for getting back and for extensive review.

I am not looking for a precise answer to the problem, because it is atypical. I am rather appreciate various thoughts, points of view and examples.

I also discovered that what we call "free to countryside" here is known in North America as "rehoming to farms", perhaps because our farms are much smaller than the ones from North America. I may even say that large bungalow household living of self-sufficiency is a more accurate description than "farm".

I forgot that in a multicultural environment, common language does not guarantee common meaning.
===
Getting back to the point, I had the opportunity to walk my cat on mountain paths - few miles. He was happy to walk. I discovered that certain terrain configuration and vegetation are more suitable for the cat than others. I also saw him stopping and reverting his walk back to the starting point without any apparent reason. But, generally speaking, he walked like a dog.