Shall I Free My Cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, but if you dump him in a place he doesn't know, with no food or water or medical care or safety, it would be like dumping you in the middle of a desert with many predators. I think you'd probably choose your theoretical room over that ;). That's not true freedom; its torture. He has been raised in a home with all the amenities and it would be cruel to abandon him now.
His first 6 months were passed in a gas station. And instincts are still present. I can test the instincts by feeding him a living mouse... :devilish:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know what you mean, but I am never going to agree that abandoning your cat and leaving him to die is the right choice.
I mean, do you think compromising freedom and free meal could be a solution?

On other words, bits of freedom is freedom? Actually, walking the cat is freedom?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also add that if you are walking your cat, his confidence is up because you are there besides him. My cats want to go out at night. Given cars aren't as likely to see them when it is dark, they are allowed in the backyard only during the day. If you are truly concerned about it, build your cat a catteo. Also please consider that your cat is tame, he doesn't have the hunting skills/instincts that feral cats do. You would basically be dropping a toddler off in the countryside and wishing them luck. Try taking your cat out the same time every day, and ignoring his meows.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No. Your cat is used to living inside with his companion, you. You are keeping him happy and safe and alive. Any demotion from that arrangement is cruel.
I have no doubt I keep him safe and alive. My question is whether he is happy.

To a certain extent, I am aware I am "humanizing" the cat beyond a reasonable limit. But I cant refrain doing this.

I do not want to abandon the cat, to be more precise. I compare the enclosure + daily walk to life in the countryside.

From the opposite perspective, I am sure I would not feel better if my cat would choose (hypothetically) to abandon me and go to the countryside on his own.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Several of us have told you now, several times: no, you should abandon your cat outside to fend for himself.

No, it will not be a happier life for him.

No, your cat does not have the same concept of freedom that you have.

Yes, your cat will be happy with walks and/or an enclosure.

There is no such thing as a free meal for a feral cat. Every meal has the opportunity to kill them. Everything outside has the opportunity to kill them.

A cat will go after a live mouse the same way a dog will go after a live rabbit. Does that mean that people should just let their dogs roam free?

These arguments are very frustrating. You are on a forum that clearly advocates for responsible pet ownership; therefore, you will find very few, if any, people who will side with you, because what you are describing is irresponsible and cruel. I can't tell if your goal is to frustrate and bait us, or if you're genuinely not able to understand our logic.

I will let those with more patience continue. Best of luck to your cat.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
mokapi mokapi
Certainly, a more flexible and deeper look on the problem I posted would save your nerves.

Thank your for being with me to this point. And if you have more patience one day, re-read my posts.

That's because if I start explaining in detail, that may start a flame and/or take to much space. Please be assured that I do accept much more responsibility and I share stronger values than may result from just feeding my cat. It just happens that responsibility and values may not fit boxes.

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

[the new quoting system is a nightmare for me :-( ]

I think I could arrange the loggia in a very complicate way (although is very small), to mimick a wild habitat, by posing sticks, plants and complex cardboard tubes network that would be very challenging for the cat. Well, this will be better (in my mind) than the human habitat as such. I guess...
I didn't mean that in a condescending way. I was just pointing out that "politically correct" wording somehow eases our minds. Sort of dulling the facts.
But, the plain and simply answer to your question is: Your cat depends on you for survival. If you let it go, it will seek out somebody else to provide for it. And not everybody likes cats. (there are already far more cats than homes for them).
Which is better, Wilderness or a House? The better is whatever that cat has known it's entire life. If all it's ever known is outdoor life, then it's probably not going to be happy indoors. (depending on it's age, this can be overcome though).
If all a cat has known is indoors, then it's not going to be happy outside.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I am understanding right you want to just drive him out into the country and dump him? No that is no nice, and he would probably die sad, alone, and scared. If he has spend his whole life cared for by humans it's very likely he doesn't know how to hunt, or doesn't know to actually eat the kill. I have been on the receiving end of the "dumping a cat off in the country" multiple times, and that's why I have 10 cats now. You can't just take a cat and expect it to fend for itself, that's cruel. In addition to all thing things mentioned, parasites, animals, etc. you also have to worry about humans. Not everyone likes cats and will shoot them if they end up on their property.

Why can't you just continue to take him for walks outside? That way he gets to enjoy the outside but still gets to also enjoy the safety of being in a home where he is safe and fed. I know people who have also brought there cats to parks, and just have them on a long lead so they can wander around and explore, but not get too far away.

Several of my cats are indoor/outdoor cats, but I live on an acreage in the country and have 3 large dogs to protect them. they also have several out buildings to hide and sleep in. They also all come inside every night, and spend the winter inside the house as well.
If you are able to have him as an indoor/outdoor cat, that might be an ok middle ground if you live in a fairly isolated area away from roads and other people, but it doesn't sound like you do. If I am understanding right your loggia is 2x5m? that is plenty big enough to have as an outside play area. Just make it so the cat can't accidentally fall, so put screening up if it's open. Put a cat tree out there, and some toys and tunnels and he will likely be happy.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
basscat basscat

In fact I am looking for a compromising solution, in the first place.

But then it comes the first choice:
a) walk the cat every day
or
b) refrain for doing so and keep him inside-only

Which is the best alternative? I am aware that is not a simple answer, that's why I posted the thread (for various prospects)

Ok, then the second (and more sensitive point) is which is best for the cat:
A. indoor as it is now (in either a) or b) case)
or
B. countryside cat

What complicate things are the following circumstances:
- the cat childhood is a sort of feral cat (in a gas station)
- a countryside cat in my country is not a feral cat, but one who is cared by many households owner (true, not all love cats and the food is... not so appropriate)

In a more sophisticated approach, the problem stands for freedom (not equal abandon!) vs high quality care.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
amethyst amethyst
No, it does not mean to abandon cat. The way that works here (at least in the area I know) is to "introduce" the cat to a household owner in the countryside and have him/her accept the cat. That is followed by talking the neighbors for them to know that there is a new cat in town.

The sad side of this is that there is no guarantee things will go as planned, because not all people keep their dogs in a secured way (sort of speaking...) and not all people love cats. Some hate cats.

The nice side is that there is plenty of room to roam and there is in fact freedom (not to confuse this situation with a feral cat or with a wilderness).

The high level of risk is that prevent me for going this way. I would go however, if this is the best for my cat, despite the risk.

The alternative of arranging the loggia seems to be a good one. The point is I do not know anyone who does this in my country (most likely does not exist), so I will be very happy to know the forum mates opinion about this case. Or, of course, getting some suggestions, recommendations - highly appreciated!

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure what the countryside in Romania is like but in Ontario, Canada it would be a death sentence. Far too much wildlife here. There is a small town not far from where I live that thought someone was killing their cats. It was fishers that had discovered domestic cats are an easy meal. A fisher is a very large weasel that can easily stalk and kill a cat. There are plenty of other animals here that could easily kill a cat.

Where I live it would be freedom (likely a death sentence) versus quality care.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a domestic cat we're talking about.

basscat basscat , for example, has an actual bobcat. An actual wild cat, with actual instincts that have not been bred out of him. That bobcat can't be released into the wild.
He's a somewhat tricky description. Wording again.
We prefer pet bobcat.
Or, to clarify, A tame wild cat. (tame is adjective) (wild is noun).
As for instincts and behaviors? Not much different than a typical house cat (adjective AND noun). So far, it's his size that's the big difference.
Our bob is an angel compared to many house cats.
BUT, mokapi mokapi is correct. He has never known anything but recliners, big screen TV's, and central heat & air. For that reason he can't be released into the wilderness. For his wellbeing AND the wellbeing of others. The latter due to his size.

Last edited:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why can't you just continue to take him for walks outside? That way he gets to enjoy the outside but still gets to also enjoy the safety of being in a home where he is safe and fed. I know people who have also brought there cats to parks, and just have them on a long lead so they can wander around and explore, but not get too far away
Yes, indeed. One of my neighbor walks the cat like me. We have a park nearby where we go with our cats. Mine stops near the parking lot near the park and I hardly make him leave the parked cars and enter the park. :hyper:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just because the cat was at a gas station does not mean people didn't care for him. Plenty of people probably fed it and chased him off. A gas station is an urban environment. It is a FAR step away from the countryside. Your cat is in NO way prepared for this. How do you know people passing by or the person that owned the gas station didn't feed your cat? Please if you care for your cat, keep him. Also because he can catch one mouse has not prepared him to hunt in the countryside you are thinking of, avoiding predators and surviving winter. It would be kinder to euthanize him then to release him in the wild! Build him a cateo or take him on daily walks.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I watched a documentary about partially outdoor cats (a BBC one?). They kill a lot of birds and mice, although they are rised as house cats.

Going deeper into the question - mother cat teaches the cubs some of the hunting tips, while some other are purely instinctual.

I have no strong opinion about this question, but I guess any cat may hunt, while the other felines may not hunt effectively if they were not rised in the wilderness.

Later edit: I mean the cat kills birds, not the BBC team ... :-))

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Because this thread is long, perhaps not everybody reads its beginning. I am not talking about abandoning (read dumping) my cat! In the countryside here there are a lot of cats people care and feed. They are (almost) pure outside cats, but by no means abandoned cats. During winter people let them in.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
basscat basscat

In fact I am looking for a compromising solution, in the first place.

But then it comes the first choice:
a) walk the cat every day
or
b) refrain for doing so and keep him inside-only

Which is the best alternative? I am aware that is not a simple answer, that's why I posted the thread (for various prospects)

Ok, then the second (and more sensitive point) is which is best for the cat:
A. indoor as it is now (in either a) or b) case)
or
B. countryside cat

What complicate things are the following circumstances:
- the cat childhood is a sort of feral cat (in a gas station)
- a countryside cat in my country is not a feral cat, but one who is cared by many households owner (true, not all love cats and the food is... not so appropriate)

In a more sophisticated approach, the problem stands for freedom (not equal abandon!) vs high quality care.
Sorry, I don't know. If you had a cow and lived in India, I would say outside would be fine. (I think that's correct??)
But, I don't know how everybody near you treats ALL cats?
I do know that most cats in the U.S. live in houses and apartments in cities, and probably never set foot on grass. And this is "home" to them. It's all they know and it's good enough for them to live long, healthy, and happy lives.
They might be happier elsewhere. But, that's not the point of a pet.
If you don't agree with people keeping an animal as a pet? I guess I would say just do whatever you think is right...

Some people want to know why I have a pet bobcat. As if I thought it would be cool or special or something. Or if it's just an ego thing? My answer is YES. I think it's all of those. It's the exact same reason anybody has a "pet" anything.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK that is better but I would still vote keeping him OR if you think he would be happier in the country be sure he is adopted by someone in the country, not just abandoned in the countryside.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because this thread is long, perhaps not everybody reads its beginning. I am not talking about abandoning (read dumping) my cat! In the countryside here there are a lot of cats people care and feed. They are (almost) pure outside cats, but by no means abandoned cats. During winter people let them in.
You would still, personally, be abandoning your cat.