Severe swelling after dental surgery

bella8188

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Minerva had dental surgery to treat stomatitis on Tuesday. She had all but four teeth pulled, and the surgery went well.

I did notice something white in her mouth the next morning, and tried to describe it to the veterinary clinic the next morning during the follow up phone call, and she said it was probably just gel.

However, within a couple days I realized she wasn't eating - I tried pates, baby food, tuna, chicken broth etc, so I got her to the vet yesterday (three days post surgery) for a follow up, and when the veterinarian looked in her mouth, he realized that the white thing I had seen was actually a swollen mass under/to the side of her tongue. It's about the size of a quarter. That was preventing her from being able to eat. He said he's never seen anything like this before. He says it could have been a side effect from the surgery, or she reacted to the local anasthetic. He took photos to review,

He gave her a laser light treatment and a steroid shot, and I'm bringing her back in on Monday morning for more treatment. Until then, I am hand feeding her Recovery food.

Has anyone had a cat that has ever had a reaction like this after dental surgery? If so, did your vet say what caused it, and what did you do for it?

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You need to go to the vet, it could be an infection. Did they start you on antibiotics before the surgery?