Serious Constipation Issues - We Are Close To Losing Him

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use psyllium for one of my cats who has diarrhoea. I also works for constipation. It is not ingested into the intestines but forms a gel that eases the passing of stools but also binds in the case if diarrhoea. Just put a pinch on the food twice a day. I have read that it becomes ineffective after long term use but when used periodically, its fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we had a little more production last night so I think we might be seeing the other side of the crisis. :woo:
We’re going to keep up the meds until everything is looking regular and then we’re looking into switching off the lactulose and adding in a more natural fiber & the restoralax. The vet is supportive of this and said we should keep him on his regular wet food routine until he’s better and then make the switch.

Thank you so much for all the support and suggestions!!!!:redheartpump:

Pouncecat1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feline Constipation Home Page

The above website might be helpful. Constipation can be caused by damage to the nerves and ICC pacemaker cells that control intestinal transit. Some people have slow transit constipation and it is possible cats can have that as well.

I would advise caution before trying a high fiber diet. High fiber can be difficult to digest and can actually worsen constipation in some situations. I tried my cat on pumpkin and it actually made him worse- i had to withhold food for a day and give him laxatives to get things moving.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feline Constipation Home Page

The above website might be helpful. Constipation can be caused by damage to the nerves and ICC pacemaker cells that control intestinal transit. Some people have slow transit constipation and it is possible cats can have that as well.

I would advise caution before trying a high fiber diet. High fiber can be difficult to digest and can actually worsen constipation in some situations. I tried my cat on pumpkin and it actually made him worse- i had to withhold food for a day and give him laxatives to get things moving.
Interesting....I had asked the vet about that because I know in people adding fiber through restoralax, miralax, etc. can defnitely make things worse, especially if you are already plugged up. Which is why I had suggested when we first brought him in to use the lactulose....she didn't seem to agree with me. I am happy to hear that I am not the only one who has heard of this.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok if you can't figure out whats wrong in the end and ofc you don't want to put the cat to sleep check this video out
I had just said to the vet assistant yesterday morning, before he had produced anything for the day, that I wished I could just squish him until it all came out... I didn't know that that might actually be a thing:shocked:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you see about adding egg yolk or egg yolk powder to his food? The lecithin in yolk will make hairballs easier to pass if that’s an issue and the choline assists in the contractions that move everything along.

This page will have more info including how to make your own egg yolk powder or buy theirs. The quantities are too small to keep up with fresh yolk. Fresh yolk (1 tsp) works in a pinch like cat Drain-O. At least with my Krista. I know some people feed their cats whole yolks. I think that would turn my girl inside out. :(

How Best to Manage Hairballs

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you see about adding egg yolk or egg yolk powder to his food? The lecithin in yolk will make hairballs easier to pass if that’s an issue and the choline assists in the contractions that move everything along.

This page will have more info including how to make your own egg yolk powder or buy theirs. The quantities are too small to keep up with fresh yolk. Fresh yolk (1 tsp) works in a pinch like cat Drain-O. At least with my Krista. I know some people feed their cats whole yolks. I think that would turn my girl inside out. :(

How Best to Manage Hairballs
I like this idea a lot - between the DH and the kiddo someone eats an egg everyday. Maybe I can steal from their brekkie for the cat ;)
Or maybe I can just pop over to our local health food store and see what they have.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out that page for making your own egg yolk powder or buying theirs. I eat a lot of eggs myself. But the quantities of yolk to use are so small. Because egg yolk is so effective with Krista, we had to start at 1/8 tsp for a week or two before we could make it to 1/4 tsp maintenance dose. 1/4 tsp is a very small fraction of the total yolk. But at least while you’re waiting on a more sustainable egg yolk source, you can certainly eggsperiment with fresh raw yolk. Avoid raw white. It has an anti-nutrient that interferes with/binds one of the B vitamins present in the yolk. Also start small. Its effect can be potent. Unless he’s actively constipated, in which case you could try 1 tsp and wait 24 hours, I would recommend starting low and going slow. Like 1/8 tsp once a day until you know how he’s going to tolerate it. You can eventually add it to every meal once you have determined the right amount that doesn’t soup his litter box.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My elderly cat was in pretty much teh same boat. Miralax was the only thing that worked, HUGE poop! I started with 1/4 yeaspoon mixed in a beaten egg yolk, nothing, and increased it to 1/2 teaspoon two days later. Ask your vet first though. Keep it in mind if it happens again.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:So 1 step forward two steps back?
Yesterday he was super lethargic and didn’t eat much - of course now no poop again last night. I think the antibiotics aren’t helping here because it can cause nausea and lethargy.
Sigh.
I skipped this morning’s dose and he ate much better and actually played for a little while - hoping the activity will get things moving. Fingers crossed

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh - & I didn’t have time to dry the egg yolks yet, but that’s great info. I added some fresh yolk last night and this morning and he LOVED it.