Serious Constipation Issues - We Are Close To Losing Him

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 9 yr old flame point male Siamese has not pooped on his own in 10 days. He has been in and out of the vet office since last Tuesday and we are still not seeing any progress.
Multiple enemas were done over the course of the week with very little result, in fact yesterday morning he had his last one and there has been no result at all from that.
Thursday they put him under anesthetic and try manual deobstipation with poor results. So they did xrays and reported no abnormalities. Ran a complete blood work and found a higher level of lymphocytes. Upon inspection they we’re found to be abnormal in appearance, which the vet says could be due to stress, infection or cancer. Though they didn’t see anything tumoresque on the xrays.
He is on restoralax & Lactulose, & watered down wet food. They sent home pain meds for yesterday and today and a weeks worth of amoxicillin.
Small amount a waste was produce on Friday night, but now. Nothing again since then.
He seems a little more himself today, willingly walks around but is moving pretty slowly.

If there is no production by morning we are going to have to contact the vet again, but honestly they seem at a bit of a loss too and it’s starting to get out of hand expensive now.

We need some suggestions for getting things moving. Please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We is eating and drinking though not eating as much as normal. On Wed she told us that there is still solids in his intestines that need to come out.
And she did do another external check yesterday prior to giving him yet another enema. (Poor guy) she still went ahead with the enema so I assume that he was still plugged up.

He has seen two different vets, from two offices but they are connected practices.

Our next closest option would be over an hour away, but thinking I may have to make some calls tomorrow.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: What an awful predicament! Is he straining to go? Have you tried gentle massage? The traditional technique is the rub your hands briskly together till they are warm, then, beginning at the "belly button", very lightly move your hand in a gentle circle in a clockwise direction. with each pass, make the circle larger until you are rubbing the outer edges of the abdomen. Then, going clockwise, and beginning with large circles but making each next circle smaller, work your way back to the navel area. Repeat the process, but enlarging the circles in a counterclockwise direction and reduce the circles in a clockwise direction. If he tolerates that, use your fingertips to lightly massage in tiny circles that follow the path of the increasing & decreasing circles. While doing the tiny circles, be alert for feeling any lumps and gently massage that area in a clockwise motion up to 90seconds but only if tolerated. afterwards, you can hold each paw in a light "pinch" with your thumb on the underneath of the paw & use your thumb to massage the large paw pad and the area behind that, between the back "beans".
I highly suggest that you try massaging yourself first so you know how it feels, both through your hands and how it feels to your own body. You can massage your inner wrists and behind your ankles. I used to do that to our 18yo cat and it seemed to give her comfort and she did get eventual results. Her problem was inoperable tumors but we had summer & most of autumn to enjoy special time together while keeping her comfortable.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are trying to prepare our kiddo for the worst because a cat can’t just not poop. The longer this goes unresolved the more emotionally drained we are becoming.
Thanks for the good vibes

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers and vibes for your entire family! :vibes::vibes::vibes:
3 days ago, I had to have our vet put down our blind, Cerebral Hypoplasia (CH) kitty Troy. Troy had interstitial cystitis and was unable to have his bladder expressed; unblocking would only have been a temporary fix....this is the first time that I have mentioned it here. It was additionally hard on the heart when my adult disabled daughter's workers asked where he was - he was a special needs kitty with a sweet, upbeat disposition and playful personality.:sniffle:

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would suggest you take your cat to an Internal Medicine Vet as they are more knowledgeable and experienced in this area.

They will likely recommend a GI ultrasound; much more definitive than an X-ray. Based on what is found, they may recommend an endoscopic exam where (under anesthesia), they insert a tube with a camera into the rectum looking for abnormalities, narrowing of the colon, megacolon or tumors.

Your cat has elevated lymphocytes which are a type of inflammatory cell. This is often seen with IBD. Sometimes with chronic or long term inflammation, normal tissue may be replaced by fibrous scar like tissue causing a narrowing of the intestines.

I think there is something more going on than just plain constipation, so would not delay getting a more definitive diagnosis.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try feeding him wet food only. It has a much higher moisture content than dry kibble. The additional moisture might help soften any remaining stool in his gut, making it easier to move.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My childhood cat had chronic constipation. It almost killed him. After many enemas and other vet procedures he was put on a wet food only diet with raw pumpkin mixed it for fiber and some Iams indoor kibble mixed in. He lived to 21 with no other major issues. Is he on anything like that?
I’m surprised nothing is working. There must be some type of obstruction they aren’t seeing. I would second the gi ultrasound if he doesn’t get better soon.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the info and we’ll wishes.
He is a wet food cat and god the last week we’ve been adding extra water as well. The vet has been keeping a close eye on hydration levels and they have been fine.
We massaged in the afternoon as much as he would let us and have our fingers crossed for the night as that used to be his regular time to use the box.

I will be contacting the office again in the morning to see if they have the abilities here for a more in depth exam or if we are going to have to try to find something in another city.

Thanks again for all the help

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are u adding any type of fiber into his diet? That’s kinda what I was referring to in my other post. Maybe add some pumpkin or i think miralax can be given to cats? Or maybe that’s dogs. But yes ask tomorrow if theres anything you can give to soften the remaining poop internally. Hope he gets better. It is scary. My cat was around 10 and I remember finding him and arrying him to my mom and he couldn’t even move. I thought he would die in my arms that day. But we went to the vet and after awhile everything was ironed out. Hopefully that’ll be happening for u soon

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he’s been on restoralax and lactulose since last Tuesday. He is also on amoxicillin in case there’s some sort of infection going on, which the vet says can cause diarrhea but, no go. He won’t touch his food at all if we put the pumpkin in.

He’s still eating and drinking and pee production continues as per usual but it’s now been 48 hours again since he’s had any stool production at all. Vet opens at 8 & it’s first on my list.
I’m also going to see if they have the ultrasound equipment here.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WE HAVE POOP! :hyper:
Not much, but some and he wasn't even in the litter box for very long. I still have a call in to the vet...hoping her advice will be to keep up the meds and see what happens for the day. I feel like the stress of another trip to the vet may set him back, but we will if we have to.