Serious Birth Complications (TW Death)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, the big advantage with the premixed formul is its cheap... So you can have a bottle standing for emergencies if your delivering queen doesnt has milk as yet. So you arent totally defenceless in the middle of night...
But when you KNOW you will need formula, its just to get home the powdered KMR.... Goats milk may be another alternative.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cannot find them on Amazon Canada or any retailers. I did find some options that look similar? Please let me know if you think they will be suitable. Otherwise I will have to go to my pet store and grab a feeding kit with smaller nipples but not the same shape unfortunately.
Hi there!!
Kittens are still doing well, have gained some and I’ve adjusted their formula intake accordingly. I was just wondering if I should be cleaning their umbilical area? They are still attached. One of them looks perfectly fine, the other seems to have started coming off slightly and there is just a touch of what looks like dried white pus around it. No discolouration or smell and noactively coming out. Just worried about it becoming infected!
I’ve seen that Betadine is usually used for this but haven’t been able to find any in shop here. I’d have to order online but wouldn’t come until tomorrow. Are there any safe alternatives that you know of?
Thank you :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, you’re right to be concerned. It should not ooze pus, so it probably got pulled on accidentally, but if it’s not oozing and looks okay, then leave it. Keep an eye on it for redness, swelling, or more pus. If it continues it might be infected. I’m hoping it dries and heals.

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, you’re right to be concerned. It should not ooze pus, so it probably got pulled on accidentally, but if it’s not oozing and looks okay, then leave it. Keep an eye on it for redness, swelling, or more pus. If it continues it might be infected. I’m hoping it dries and heals.
Yeah it’s not red and no oozing, when said pus I meant there’s quite literally just a TEENY bit of the cord meeting the body that seems it’s been lifted, and just a speckle of dried white. I will monitor it though.

One question about feeding! For example; according to the formula, based on new weight one should be fed 25ml daily and the other 20ml. Is this supposed to be a minimum or a maximum? I’m feeding them every 2 hours instead of 3, so this seems slightly low since they would both easily go over their daily “limit” if I fed them the suggested amount per feed based on weight at this frequency.

If it is okay to go over that amount, the chart I was given said the max their stomach can hold at their weight is 3ml and 2.5ml at a time, and to feed every 3hrs. But they do seem to want more during each feed! So should I stick to that or allow them to eat until they pull away? Again, don’t want to overfeed and cause issues with their digestion.

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah it’s not red and no oozing, when said pus I meant there’s quite literally just a TEENY bit of the cord meeting the body that seems it’s been lifted, and just a speckle of dried white. I will monitor it though.

One question about feeding! For example; according to the formula, based on new weight one should be fed 25ml daily and the other 20ml. Is this supposed to be a minimum or a maximum? I’m feeding them every 2 hours instead of 3, so this seems slightly low since they would both easily go over their daily “limit” if I fed them the suggested amount per feed based on weight at this frequency.

If it is okay to go over that amount, the chart I was given said the max their stomach can hold at their weight is 3ml and 2.5ml at a time, and to feed every 3hrs. But they do seem to want more during each feed! So should I stick to that or allow them to eat until they pull away? Again, don’t want to overfeed and cause issues with their digestion.
Like will they know when they’re full and pull away on their own? Or is it like fish and they’ll eat until they explode lol.

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its difficult to overfeed kittens.
Ah great! So do you think I should offer them more and allow them to decide when they’re full? This is the chart I was using to measure their feeds for example, except every 2 hours instead of 3. Which would then put us over the “amount of formula per day” quite quickly.
18A4C8F1-FE79-4EFF-B8A3-63B4CC7383FF.png

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A very nice chart! The recommendations are essentially the same I follow. Still, if they want more, you can give some more yes...
Here, as in the renown novel of Dickens: Please sir, can I have some more?

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A very nice chart! The recommendations are essentially the same I follow. Still, if they want more, you can give some more yes...
Could’ve sworn I heard those words come out of their mouth….. lol 🤣

I will assume the daily amount is a minimum and offer that recommended amount at every feed today and see how it goes. Thanks again!! This has been such an anxious time for me, I swear it’s 10x worse than when I had my first child lol.
Both vets I’ve spoken to haven’t seemed the most knowledgeable about Neonatal kittens. Luckily I found out today that my personal vet does have a tech that runs a shelter, so I may go in and try to speak with her tomorrow!! They did admit they did not know specifics and that she would be the one to ask questions.

Hopefully I can stop bugging you guys on here haha! Updated kitty pics below.

Attachments

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long is it normal for them to go without pooping? They haven’t pooped in 2+ days now. I am stimulating them before and after each feed and always pees but no poop. They don’t seem to be pushing or straining at all. I’ve tried belly massages and stimulating in different ways. I take them to vet for an exam tomorrow but was wondering if this is somewhat normal or if there is anything else I can do to help them go in the meantime.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. This will help to soften and move things along.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long is it normal for them to go without pooping? They haven’t pooped in 2+ days now. I am stimulating them before and after each feed and always pees but no poop. They don’t seem to be pushing or straining at all. I’ve tried belly massages and stimulating in different ways. I take them to vet for an exam tomorrow but was wondering if this is somewhat normal or if there is anything else I can do to help them go in the meantime.
This can happen and its no danger as yet. But as SARthur says, the easiest remedy is to add virgin olive oil to their kmr.

Almost any oil will work, but virgin olive oil is nutrious and healthy food by itself.

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! They did end up going on their own, one last night and one earlier today. After 48 hours I was concerned and thought it could be the powder formula so I did start back on the liquid formula (fresh can). Now again again it is not well formed, frequent, and quite mushy and runny. I can’t win :/. They see the vet Friday.

I don’t want to keep changing their formula but it seems the liquid makes them go so often! I still have no idea if their poop is actually supposed to be formed at this age. It is a healthy colour, just mushy.

Would I be better off giving them the powder formula again (for good), and maybe making it with part pedialyte incase this runny poop is dehydrating them? They are peeing every feed and acting totally normal other than the now frequent messy poops, which is why I’m unsure if they’re meant to have solid poops less than a week old.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I mentioned in my Post #40, I never recommend pre-mixed formula because it causes awful diarrhea in kittens. I always recommend powdered formula instead. It can be mixed with unflavored Pedialyte and you add a couple drops of olive oil to each feeding. This keeps the poops normal — not diarrhea. Kitten poop on formula should be toothpaste consistency.

If you’ll stay on powdered formula consistently, you should not need to see the vet.

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I mentioned in my Post #40, I never recommend pre-mixed formula because it causes awful diarrhea in kittens. I always recommend powdered formula instead. It can be mixed with unflavored Pedialyte and you add a couple drops of olive oil to each feeding. This keeps the poops normal — not diarrhea. Kitten poop on formula should be toothpaste consistency.

If you’ll stay on powdered formula consistently, you should not need to see the vet.
I am confused, in another thread “newborn kitten” with a similarly aged/weight kitten the poster added a pic of their poop and they were told that it was normal (by sarthur I believe?). Mine looks like that as well, but less runny. One went twice yesterday, one four times which I believe is still normal range? Neither of them have gone in 10 hours now, so it is not constant.

On the powdered formula they did not poop for 3 days and were bloated, which is why vet told me on the phone to switch back to the liquid and see if it would help. I did ask them about the oil and they told me not to, that they were too little and could cause diarrhea. I’m sure the oil is fine! But since I was advised not to I didn’t feel comfortable.

I will maybe try to add a few drops of pedialyte just incase, but I am afraid that I will stress their digestive by going back and forth. I think I will keep the premixed diet until they go in for a wellness check tomorrow, but it is very expensive here so I’m hoping they can be on the powder long term.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Every set of kittens has its own issues on this forum. Not all advice works in each case, so it’s good that you can sort out what works for your kittens with the help of your vet. Not all vets are equally experienced with newborns. I speak from my own experience.

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every set of kittens has its own issues on this forum. Not all advice works in each case, so it’s good that you can sort out what works for your kittens with the help of your vet. Not all vets are equally experienced with newborns. I speak from my own experience.
Luckily my office has a vet tech that runs a rescue, and he is the rescue vet. So he should know hopefully what to do and have the means to help with them :)

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

One of my kitties just aspirated their milk I think 😩

They are two weeks old today. I’m still using syringe and miracle nipples they suck at their own pace, this has never happened before! It was having its feed as usual and suddenly pulled off and sneezed, milk came out of its nose. I held it with its head tilted down bum up and was kind of patting its bum while it kept sneezing. Not sure if I did the right thing, just did it instinctually. The sneezing stopped pretty soon after and was acting normal again walking around etc, fell asleep after feed. I don’t hear any funny breathing so I hope they got it all out but I’m so scared about respiratory infection now :(

What should I be looking out for? Just loud breathing and seeming general unwell?
Do you think it will be okay? 😩