Separation anxiety after adopting my Wali...

wali_the_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I recently adopted my seven year-old Wali. He's been amazing and is transitioning to my home really well.

When I have to leave the house, I confine him to my bedroom/bathroom (his safe areas). He has a cat tree and scratchy post for entertainment, but mostly he naps all day and seems perfectly happy with this arrangement.

My issue: I'm currently experiencing some pretty severe separation anxiety when it comes to leaving him alone! I haven't left the house in several days now (I work from home!) because I just don't want to leave him alone. Even though he spends most of the day napping!!! He's blind, so I worry more about him.

Is this kind of separation anxiety normal after adoption? I have to leave the house today to, you know, get groceries and stuff... But I'm freaking out about leaving Wali on his own for a couple hours...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for adopting a 7 yr. old cat with special needs. You are truly an angel. :angel:

Don't be too hard on yourself when you have to leave for groceries or other errands. And, no, I think it's absolutely normal to feel some separation anxiety about leaving Wali by himself. It is indicative of your affection and dedication to him. :hearthrob: Since you said you confine him to the bedroom/bathroom which is his safe area and he naps that shows he is perfectly content. Please feel free to keep us posted about your new guy.:lovecat:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is this kind of separation anxiety normal after adoption? I have to leave the house today to, you know, get groceries and stuff... But I'm freaking out about leaving Wali on his own for a couple hours...
Separation anxiety is very common for both cats and hoomans alike. Just as what neely neely mentioned, it's because you care for him and thus have his feeling. It's normal. I had this feeling too when I rescued my boy and he was very young then and sill nursing an injury. I don't feel like going out leaving him alone in the house and if I do go out, I want to get back as soon as I can.

What you can do is, since he has his own space and there's no danger lurking, don't be so weary about it else he too will be dependent on you and will also have separation anxiety and end up either you can't go out or both will have separation anxieties.
You can start by making short trips and extend it longer over a period of time bnd soon both of you will get use to it.

Once this is done, he'll know that you are going out but will be back for him and you'll know that you'll be back to see him. You can install a wifi webcam and place it at a strategic part of the room so that you can see almost the whole room as most webcam are wide angle and have a zoom mode and night vision.

So don't worry that much, just carry on with what you have to do and give him lots of hugs when you com back. I still think of my boy when I go out for ling hours but I have a webcam so that I can see him and he sleeps most of the time. And he somehow knows roughly what time I'm coming back and he'll just wait near the door.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it's perfectly normal to feel that way, Especially with a new cat I wouldn't worry to much because like you said he has his safe space. You would feel that way even if Wali wasn't blind. I've found they tend to sleep when we are not there and make a fuss when we get home. If you think about it your not watching over him while you sleep and he's okay then. Go get your shopping and try not to worry to much.

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Perfectly normal - I still get anxiety when leaving Grayson and I’ve had him for 9 years!
He will be fine, especially in his safe space. And will honestly sleep most of the time anyways.
Just shows you are a fantastic cat mummy which is just what he needs. I showed his picture to my mum and daughter and told them he was blind and they think he is absolutely stunning ❤❤❤