Sensitive stomachs?

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if kittens out grow their sensitive stomachs? My two kittens seem to be sensitive and have had poop issues (two rounds of antibiotics) I need to transition their food but their issues have made me gun shy. They vet says they will probably always be sensitive but i am holding out hope. What have your experiances been?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Tips to Soothe Your Cat’s Upset Stomach
11 Key Facts About Food Allergies In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Top 5 Brands Of Wet Cat Food Our Members Love The Most – TheCatSite Articles
What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food? – TheCatSite Articles
Should I Give My Cat Probiotics? – TheCatSite Articles

If you google this subject, you will find a lot of food suggestions which might be helpful. TBH, your vet might have made some suggestions himself instead of telling you that this will probably go on for their entire lives. You probably need to consider probiotics, especially since they have just been on an antibiotic. They have been wormed, more than likely, and that is not the cause. Food allergies can also be a consideration.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are currently on probiotics and pumpkin and i am quietly and tentatively hopeful that we are past their issues. They have not been on antibiotics for a few weeks (end of aug). I just want to know of kittens can grow out of stomach issues.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it really depends on what caused the issues in the first place. If the antibiotics resolved the problem, then I'm thinking this is NOT a sensitive tummy, but something else. If the antibiotics are not resolving the issue, then it could be food related, which means it could be sensitive stomachs, or still something else, which is quite common in kittens.

What exactly is the issue that has caused the need for antibiotics, and has it completely resolved, how old are they, etc? I would say that to have TWO kittens with sensitive stomachs at the same time is rather coincidental. I'm thinking this may be more parasitic or their food is too rich IF the issue is diarrhea.

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted them on Aug 1 and they had issues with diarrhea. Fecal test was negative but deworming did help a bit. Vet believes it was something bacterial and maybe also related to the stress of new home, new food etc. The first antibiotic didnt seem tk work for them but the second did. They were also put on gastro food and high fiber until things calmed down.
As of now there is no diarrhea. And i do not want there to be. My one kitten does have some bloating issues but that is related to how he eats dry food (too fast) or possibly an intolerance to something.
I agree that i would find it odd for both kittens to have sensitive stomachs. But right now im so scared that any change i make will bring back the puddle poops.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my kittens were little, they both seemed to have sensitive stomachs and each of them ended up at the emergency vet with symptoms such as loss of appetite, diarrhea, vomiting. We never did find out exactly what was wrong but now they are around a year and a half and are big strong kitties with big appetites and eat all sorts of food with no problem. I really do think that little kittens are very delicate and sensitive and just go through phases like this. At the time, though, I was absolutely beside myself with worry, so I can understand your feelings.

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are not well researched. Therefore vets are generally not useful when it comes to cat digestion issues. Try a grain free, chicken free, white fish based diet (no salmon!).

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my kittens were little, they both seemed to have sensitive stomachs and each of them ended up at the emergency vet with symptoms such as loss of appetite, diarrhea, vomiting. We never did find out exactly what was wrong but now they are around a year and a half and are big strong kitties with big appetites and eat all sorts of food with no problem. I really do think that little kittens are very delicate and sensitive and just go through phases like this. At the time, though, I was absolutely beside myself with worry, so I can understand your feelings.
Your words give me comfort and hope. My anxietu is rooted in tje pandemic as well unexpressed grief from loosing my last cat in November. Its been exhausting and im just so scared of rocking the boat.

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are not well researched. Therefore vets are generally not useful when it comes to cat digestion issues. Try a grain free, chicken free, white fish based diet (no salmon!).
Thank you. I have a feeling my guy with the bloating might be sensitive to either grains or chicken. There is not a lot of kitten food that is free of chicken so once he is older ill look for something free of poultry. His bloating seems to bother me more than it bothers him.

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try Tiki brand cat foods. They are absolutely amazing grain free food options that work wonders for cats with sensitive stomachs. And don't despair it WILL be okay!!!

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try Tiki brand cat foods. They are absolutely amazing grain free food options that work wonders for cats with sensitive stomachs. And don't despair it WILL be okay!!!
Thank you for your kind words. Its only been 7 weeks but it feels like 4 months. There has been something pretty much every week that ive had them. I feel like i should be completly comfortable but im not and that makes me feel like a bad cat mom......

My babies are 19 weeks old today and i love them, but there are times when i just get so overwhelmed.....its my first time with two.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is true that many Vets don't really know that much about cat nutrition. I believe that's why they tend to push either Hills products, Royal Canin products, or Purina, because the sales reps visit the Veterinarians. And I agree that most cats do not need grains. Some people disagree with that and think that certain male cats need a few grains to prevent UTIs, although I have two 12 year old males right now who don't know what grains are, at all. But your comment about feeding ONLY fish, is that's what you were saying, many people might disagree with. Yes, again, it's true that chicken can cause issues, but there are other proteins out there to use rather than fish. Fish is ok once in awhile, but what about rabbit, venison, lamb, beef, quail, duck, turkey, etc. Not all poultry is created alike. Many cats with chicken sensitivity do fine with turkey or duck. Feeding white fish only can cause quite a picky eater.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A AriRio , not sure if you are feeding all kibble, or a combination of kibble and wet food, but when you try to switch up their food, be sure to do it slowly, maybe something like 10% of the new food mixed with 90% of the old for a few days to see what happens. If they get loose stools, then back off and possibly try a different new food. If everything is fine, then increase the amount of new food to 25% new to 75% old for another few days and again see what happens. And repeat slowly increasing the amount of new food until they are completely eating the new food. If you feed both wet and dry foods, I would change only one of these at a time so you can tell what is doing what, if that makes sense. They might do fine with a change to a new wet food, then have issues when you try to change up the dry, or vice versa. Or they may have zero issues, which is what we are hoping for :crossfingers:

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are currently getting wet and dry. My plan is to do any transitions slowly and one type of food at a time. But right now im not changing anything