Senior healthy cats - preventive diet?

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know it is the case with dogs, and I'm going to assume the same is true with cats, but the "conventional wisdom" for a long time was to decrease protein in formulas of senior dogs.

Which has turned out to be exactly the opposite of what's optimal.

Older animals need protein as seniors to help maintain their muscle mass (which becomes harder in old age). The newer thinking is that formulas have been reducing protein just when pets need it most (aside, perhaps, during infancy).

My "inner-intelligence" leads me to believe that the rampant kidney disease we see in felines is due (mainly) to the twin problems that arise from feeding dry food. Namely, chronic dehydration (which is very rough on kidneys) and unnatural levels of carbohydrates.

For me, I would not deviate from what you are doing w/o good cause.

You might consider adding some organs to your rations (5% liver, 5% kidney) as a means to enhance the nutrient support (organs are high in vitamins), but otherwise I would stick with what you are doing.

Bill
Cats with impaired kidney function have a hard time dealing with natural toxins created by the digestion of protein. CKD is not curable so CKD foods are designed to extend kidney function for as long as possible.

Under the non-raw section of this forum there's a link of a study which suggests that raising cats on food which is high in phosphorus may cause kidney problems when the cats reaches adulthood.

Another thing to keep in mind is that domestic cats live longer than feral. Consequently domestic cats are more likely to be alive long enough to develop health problem which they were not evolved to have to contend with on the wild.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats with impaired kidney function have a hard time dealing with natural toxins created by the digestion of protein. CKD is not curable so CKD foods are designed to extend kidney function for as long as possible.

Under the non-raw section of this forum there's a link of a study which suggests that raising cats on food which is high in phosphorus may cause kidney problems when the cats reaches adulthood.

Another thing to keep in mind is that domestic cats live longer than feral. Consequently domestic cats are more likely to be alive long enough to develop health problem which they were not evolved to have to contend with on the wild.
The debate is very loaded indeed, between the pro and con high-protein diets, I know! It also leads to a very weird sort of “partisan” position from either side… sadly…
I’m trying to stick to what scientist find in their research, and it is indeed the case that a high protein diet is optimal for cats. When they have CKD, the IDEXX/IRIS guideline is that for stage 1 CKD, a mild protein restriction is necessary to protect the the tubulars. From stage 2, a therapeutic renal diet is necessary as it does double life expectancy.

My cats have no CKD thank god! But I do know that keeping the calcium/phosphorus ratio in a very strict check is good for their age and their old kidneys. I gave them canned food for years, and only recently did I make the transition to raw: one of them had become hyperthyroidic - and one culprit is the lining of the cans, as well as the irregular intake of iodine. I wanted to control this, the ca/ph ratio, and give them some extra good things for the oldies (like omega 3 for example). And they just love raw now!