Senior food for CRF cats

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know what senior foods are ok to feed a cat with CRF.
Coco does not want to eat her renal food anymore.
The vet said I can try senior food.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is a link to Janet and Binky's chart: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html

Aim for the canned that is under 200mg of phosphorus (I think?) - if it is around 200mg I add a phosphorus binder to it.

Milo loved Precise Turkey for a while until I started using it as the food for syringe feeding
It does work really well to syringe feed though...

Now he likes a few of the Friskies flavors and Science Diet turkey.

He used to love Fancy Feast but in mid 2010 they redid all their flavors and none are acceptable phosphorus levels anymore. There used to be some low phosphorus flavors - why did they ruin a good thing?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jacky I would ask your vet - Coco is so so ill... IMHO, I would not get even close to 200mg in phosphorous... Hills prescriptions are 74 and 85, and Royal Canin 103.
Again, Coco is so very ill, I would not ask anybody but a vet, or if you get the name for a food, make sure to run the numbers by him/her.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jackie I agree with Carolina Please consult the vet

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I did ask the vet and said said to get the lowest one in phos that I could fine.
Some of the other Science Diet canned is still fairly low phosphorus and Milo at the moment loves it. Eating something IMO is better than eating nothing.

I really don't know much about what is going on with Coco but Milo always will eat much more for the 1/2 hour after he gets his fluids...he just feels much better during that time. Actually that time frame is almost the only time he will eat so I am just wondering if that would also be the case for Coco?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco has anemia,crg and high blood bp and many other problems.
She sees the vet tomorrow at 9:20 and we will start a new med and epogen.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...and sweet Coco is also 18...

Jacky, why don't you print this list and show it to your vet for her to pick some choices for you? This way you can buy some choices and give it to her and see what she will eat, based on the numbers... When is the Hi tor coming?

I saw some #s for some senior foods in there that phosphorus are way high...

Yeah, it is great that she eat, but she was so extremely sick last week... I wouldn't risk making it worst... since you are going in tomorrow, I would discuss it with the vet - just in case.

Anyways, just my opinion for what is worth - she is too fragile now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Tor should be here by friday.
I have been giving science diet that the vet oked.
I will print this up and give to the vet.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I did ask the vet and said said to get the lowest one in phos that I could fine.
I would say that at this point in Coco's life, I would feed her whatever she will eat. As my vet told me when I was having food issues with Dusty, that any food is better than no food. Dusty will eat Friskies canned and Kirkland dry. As long as she eats, I am happy. She will also occasionally eat a bit of raw chicken liver to fight her anemia.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

I would say that at this point in Coco's life, I would feed her whatever she will eat. As my vet told me when I was having food issues with Dusty, that any food is better than no food. No food = no cat. Dusty will eat Friskies canned and Kirkland dry. As long as she eats, I am happy. She will also occasionally eat a bit of raw chicken liver to fight her anemia.
Why not just pamper her with something that she loves, at this point in her long life? I'm just a believer that quality is better than quantity, so if having a food that she enjoys means that it cuts a month or two off her life, well that is a small price to pay for her happiness.

Oops, meant to hit the edit button and not the quote button. Sorry.